Sign in to follow this  

Changed my settings: changed my world

During my flights today I decided to try some other settings than the once I've been using since I got P3D (and which always worked best for me). First I removed the AF=15 tweak from my system, so now I am using P3D v2.2 without any tweaks! Secondly I decided to see what happened if I set fps to unlimited and turn off vsync (and triple buffering). Unlimited etc. didn't really work that well for me in the past but I thought it was worth giving it a shot since this is a new version.

Holy cow!!!

In the places where I usually fly (rural, bush) fps stays above 40 easily with the settings you can see below, which are, in some places, quite high (inmho), like autogen at Extremely dense. I also have terrain shadows cast and receive on and also cloud shadows (of course: don't want to fly without those!). I also set TrrackIR to high priority, something I forgot to do after my last OS reinstall. It's AMAZING to see all that autogen, those shadows all over the place and still have a totally SMOOTH flight!!! Incredible!

I also checked to see how fps was around San Francisco and New York and there fps dipped to low twenties: less smooth but still flyable occasionally. But I usually fly in the bush so that's of no real importance to me.

v2.2 is by far the best version yet! Heck, it's the best sim yet! The flickering Orbx trees have been solved too, so I noticed! Again, seeing ALL those trees down there, the clouds shadows on them, the mountains and all that smooth... crazy stuff!

BTW I used the default Building storms weather theme so it wasn't a clear day either and I flew with the A2A C172 so I didn't go too easy on all that. Things will obviously perform even better on a clear day with a default plane.

Ok, yes, well, I don't use NI right now and so AA in the VC is bad (it's good enough everywhere else though) but that's a very small price to pay for all the positive things I get.

Anyway, although P3D of course performs differently on every PC you might want to fool around with a few different settings than the once you were used too. You might be pleasantly surprised, like I certainly was!

P.S. And even with Extremely dense autogen and loading various heavy locations, OOMs weren't even in sight!!!

P.S. 2 Yesterday I also enabled Dynamic Contrast on my Samsung monitor. I know a lot of people don't like that but it really helped to make the sun shine more in P3D!

P.S. 3 The Profile is Custom: I did save my settings but whenever I load it, the Internal Shadows Cast is turned off: probably a bug. If you did save your profile and actually load it everytime, make sure to check of that setting is on or not!

P.S. 4 Water detail is off: I've been using that setting for a while now and imho it looks far more realistic that way than with those rather fake and buggy animation.

13762400195_dd3244ae61_o_d.jpg

Jeroen, thanks for sharing. Whater aside my settings are not so much different. Notably I also fly with target to unlimited, vsync triple off.

What are your traffic settings? I noticed a pretty hard framerate hit setting Airline/GA/Airports vehicle traffic even to small non-zero values (while road traffic no longer is hard on frames).

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

No water detail?

I tried that but it looked even uglier than with it on! :lol:

Hey Jeroen,

Are you using any NI settings, or any other settings away from default for your GPU?

Thanks- i installed 2.2 last night, and while I'm just starting to install back add-ons, I am very impressed.... 

Bruce.

Thanks, Jeroen.

I applied your settings as well as setting NI back to defaults, and the resulting performance was amazing. I now get about 25 fps in the worst case and about 60 fps normally, with a very sub-marginal system. I did not engage the internal-vehicle shadowing (I use 2D panels only) as well as external receive-vehicle shadowing.

I have never seen so much scenery detail in a simulator.

Frans

What are your traffic settings? I noticed a pretty hard framerate hit setting Airline/GA/Airports vehicle traffic even to small non-zero values (while road traffic no longer is hard on frames).

Oops, odd, my bad: I thought I added the traffic screen to the picture but I think I forgot to paste it into Photoshop... Anyway, I ONLY have 10% of car traffic and nothing else. This makes a difference indeed!

I don't care too much about traffic, certainly not when I am flying. And since I mainly fly GA in FTX regions that come with updated airports (that have static airplanes) I don't feel the need for AI at all. I like to see some cars down there though: makes the world come alive.

I tried that but it looked even uglier than with it on! :lol:

To each his own! ^_^ I seriously like it more with all water effects off. The waves you see with effects on seem far too big imho. You don't see waves like that when flying at a few thousand feet imho.

Are you using any NI settings, or any other settings away from default for your GPU?

No. I uninstalled the nVidia driver and uninstalled P3D and all addons. After that I reinstalled the latest nVidia beta with the 'clean option' enabled and did a full new install of P3D. After that I didn't touch NI at all. Not that it would have mattered, but anyway, I didn't change a single setting. I only changed the power saving option (or whatever it is called) to performance in the regular nVidia control panel. As I said, due to this the VC of the C172 doesn't look to good but I am too busy looking out of the window anyway. ^_^ Obviously, I am hoping LM and nVidia will find a way to give us good AA without a too huge performance drop.

I applied your settings as well as setting NI back to defaults, and the resulting performance was amazing.

Nice to see it works for you too! But let me make it clear that I didn't post what I did as 'the miracle settings' or as the best way to get things done: I only meant to say it may be worth it to try something different with this new and different version! But nonetheless I am glad you've got good performance now! ^_^

I didn't post what I did as 'the miracle settings' or as the best way to get things done: I only meant to say it may be worth it to try something different with this new and different version!

Well, seems like a great way to start out.  Seems like tweaking and running P3D is completely different than FSX and I've seen more people hurt by the old settings than helped.  My new PC parts have arrived and are scattered all over the couch downstairs.  A whole lot of work to do before I get to try this new sim out!

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

My new PC parts have arrived and are scattered all over the couch downstairs.

That is great moment when everything is there ready to be built, It will be some time before I build another rig but a new GPU may be on the cards (literally).

Or maybe wait and see what Sli brings to P3D

This is only my uneducated guess about v2.2....

Single moniterer previously using SGSS  => Winner!!   :Party:

Multi moniterer having not using SGSS => Loser!  :Black Eye:   (thats me..)   

Yuji

It's really an amazing update to the sim. One thing that unfortunately is true is that Cloud Shadow is just something to have fun with, then turn off for serious simming.

I was taking off from an airport with a OVC and BKN cloud cover, and my fps was 8! Turned off Cloud Shadow, back to 60! And I'm running a 780Ti, doesn't get much better than that!

Alexis Mefano

Holy Cow is right. Thanks a lot. The stuttering with clouds is  big one for me and this virtually takes care of it

Thank you

Nels

What extreme cloud shadow settings are you running? And are you forcing SGSS on them through Nvidia Inspector?

Cloud shadows definitely don't have anywhere near that impact on my system (and I'm running a 680). I run shadow map count at medium, terrain shadow cast at 10k and cloud shadow cast at 20k without issues.

Edit: I should also add that I use OPUS, which has the tendency to create dense overcast layers. 

I hope someone is collecting a tweaks guide for P3D.  Sounds like it'll be substantially less than the FSX version but it'd probably save folks a boatload of angst.

EDIT:  Actually, funny thing.  I'm still thinking like this is FSX world (where the developers aren't available.)  I really have to get out of this mode of thinking.  The Prepare3D team is a great source (and probably should source) a lot of this kind of info.  Silly me.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I think Prepar3D runs quite well. I did this video this morning.

I have done zero tweaking, this is just the install as it comes from L-M.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

of course it run well with a default FSX aircraft. Ive seen some issues with more sophisticated aircraft and heavy/stormy weather.