Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Migrating MSFlight from Win7 to Win8.1

Hello,

i`m just upgrading my Hard- and Software.

I want to migrate my Flight installation to a new SSD under Win8.1

What and where do i have to backup?

Last time i did it a year ago under Win7 and lost some aerocaches/mission status etc. and had to re-download the DLC`s again. But i don`t know if this is possible anymore.

So what files i have to backup and where are they? Is the file structure in Win8.1 the same?

Hello Heimi,

I believe that the file structure is the same for Windows 8.1. So generally, all the files and folders you wish to back up will have to be placed in the same directories as you would in Windows 7.

If you are going to install Flight again, then I would advise you to place it in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games file as it is the most common directory for Flight. If you wish to install Flight outside the Microsoft Games folder then I would advice you to carry out the installation. The benefit of running the installation, is that it allows your GFWL and Live-ID assistant to be updated as well as your .NET Framework. Plus, you can install the game in any directory you wish without interfering with the mapping of Flight's dependencies (GFWL, LIVE ID etc.) 

After the installations have completed you have to back up your Flight Data.

1) Back up your DLC which in normal installations is installed here : C:\Users\<Admin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Xlive\DLC.  Back up your XLive folder (with its contents) on the same directory on your Windows 8 machine

2) Back up your Flight Profile Data which is found here : C:\Users\<Admin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Flight. Here you will find 2 folders; Players and Shared. The players file contains your game data and the shared folder contains scenery indexes and Aerocache images as well as some more Core Flight Data. Copy the file named Flight and store this in the same location in your Windows 8 machine.

3) Finally back up your Free-Flight Data which can be found in your Documents folder. It is named Flight and has a folder named Shared inside. This needs to be backed up in the Documents directory in Win8.1.

And that's it! You can now create a shortcut on your Desktop. Navigate to the Flight.exe file and run the game! 

P.S. You lost some of your data in your previous attempt with Win7 because you missed out Step 2!

Best of Luck, 

If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to ask!

I did the backup. But now the GFWL Client wnats to download all the DLC again.

But i put it in the same directory as before and also put back all the files under %appdata

How to install without redownloading all of this?

I did the backup. But now the GFWL Client wnats to download all the DLC again.

But i put it in the same directory as before and also put back all the files under %appdata

How to install without redownloading all of this?

Could you specify where you placed all of the files (appdata)? When placing the DLC, make sure that there is a .lic file in each addon folder.  Then, I think you should back up the "GFWLive" folder found in  "C:\Users\<Admin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive" and back it up in the same directory on your new machine. I wasn't sure if this step was necessary so it wasn't put in my previous post.

Please try this out and report back!