Sign in to follow this  
Ray2J

737NG not capturing glide slope

Hi, i'm new to PMDG 737NG. i have a unique problem. After nearing the Localiser i activate the N1 button and the aircraft would turn and line up with the localiser, then once the glide slope indicator would come alive, i activate the APP switch but nothing happens(the green light doesn't light up as it would when i press the other buttons) , the aircraft just goes straight pass the glide slope. I have set the NAV 1 frequency on both the autopilot to the desired approach. and when i try to activate the second Auto Pilot, the 1st autopilot would switch off.

Strangly, this does not happen when i don't program the FMC. When i tune only the NAV1 frequency for the desired runway and follow the default ATC instructions, the aircraft would Line up with the NAV1 frequency and after that when i press the APP button it would light up and slart gliding down as soon as it captures the glideslope. where am i going wrong? :(      

Not sure this might help, but have you selected the corresponding approach and runway in the FMC and activated that?

i have a unique problem. After nearing the Localiser i activate the N1 button and the aircraft would turn and line up with the localiser

The N1 button has nothing to do with capturing the G/S. Do you mean the VOR/LOC button. The button that you activate has what wording on it?

Please sign your name per these forum rules http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361815-pmdg-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/.

To have your signature automatically attached to your post do this. Left click on your user name in the upper right of this page. On the next page left click on Edit my Profile. On the next page left click on Signature and on the next page in the box under Edit Signature enter your full name and left click on Save Changes. Now your name will be on every post you make.

where am i going wrong?

Always, always, always watch the FMA.  Always.  The lights on the MCP only tell part of the story:

My guess is that the plane had no idea that it was supposed to be flying an ILS approach.  I'm not sure why you pressed N1.  That's a mode that puts your throttles on the N1 limiter.

Kyle Rodgers

Always, always, always watch the FMA.  Always.  The lights on the MCP only tell part of the story:

I was gonna say "ask your mech to pull the bulbs", but that isn't practicable in sim, now is it?

i meant the VOR/LOC button...not the N1. Sorry guys. after activating the VOR/LOC the aircraft would line up with the runway but when i activate the APP button after that, it wouldn't capture the Glideslope and shoot straight :(

My guess is that the plane had no idea that it was supposed to be flying an ILS approach.  I'm not sure why you pressed N1.  That's a mode that puts your throttles on the N1 limiter.

i meant the VOR/LOC button...not the N1. Sorry. after activating the VOR/LOC the aircraft would line up with the runway but when i activate the APP button after that, it wouldn't capture the Glideslope and shoot straight :(

The N1 button has nothing to do with capturing the G/S. Do you mean the VOR/LOC button. The button that you activate has what wording on it?

Please sign your name per these forum rules http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361815-pmdg-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/.

To have your signature automatically attached to your post do this. Left click on your user name in the upper right of this page. On the next page left click on Edit my Profile. On the next page left click on Signature and on the next page in the box under Edit Signature enter your full name and left click on Save Changes. Now your name will be on every post you make.

i meant the VOR/LOC button...not the N1. Sorry. after activating the VOR/LOC the aircraft would line up with the runway but when i activate the APP button after that, it wouldn't capture the Glideslope and shoot straight :(

Not sure this might help, but have you selected the corresponding approach and runway in the FMC and activated that?

if you can take the trouble of explaining how i can make sure of that.... it would help. sorry to bother u, but am new to this. thanks

if you can take the trouble of explaining how i can make sure of that.... it would help. sorry to bother u, but am new to this. thanks

Select DEP/ARR on the FMC, then select the arrival airport and the relevant runway, possible transition, execute...et voila.

You should read a bit more about this system to be honest. It will pay off any you will be glad you did.

Best regards

Maybe you should read the PMDG NGX Introduction and try the PMDG NGX Tutorial 1 and 2. Reading those documents might help you solve your problems.

Why don't you sign your name as was requested? This whole thread could be deleted by PMDG.

I did some experimenting and here is what I found out:

You have to be within approximately 12-15 miles of the airport before the G/S arm light will display on the FMA (of the PFD). If you are too far out, beyond 15 miles and press APP, then you will see G/P because the system can't pick up the G/S signal that far out.

So, I did the ILS approach again. I pressed VOR/LOC when I was 20 miles out and captured the localizer and then when I was about 12 miles out, I pressed APP, saw LOC re-capture and now G/S arm in the FMA. Then I was able to capture the G/S and have it annunciate it as such.

So the answer to why one may see G/P in the FMA vs G/S has to do with how far out you are when you press APP.

Select DEP/ARR on the FMC, then select the arrival airport and the relevant runway, possible transition, execute...et voila.

You should read a bit more about this system to be honest. It will pay off any you will be glad you did.

Best regards

hey thanx man :) ...this is where i'm messing up i guess. u saved my day. cheers!

thanks guys for all the help & suggestions. appreciate each one of you. thanx again & take care :Cowboy:  :smile:

Just a simple rule to follow: If you are only going to insult the person asking the question, don't bother responding. Simple! I'm not referring to the last post.

- Bill Magann

hey thanx man :) ...this is where i'm messing up i guess. u saved my day. cheers!

Raymond

Thanks for signing your name.

Raymond

Thanks for signing your name.

:Cowboy:  my pleasure... neways, sorry for the delay :rolleyes: