Sign in to follow this  
misgav

maxing the sight distance

I am more or less happy with display settings in fs9.

I've had been running the sim since it came out. Like most people I've upgraded my system since then- at least three times.

So while most of  us complained about graphic performance when fs9 came out, everyone is equipped now to run it with high settings.

Except one feature- sight distance (Settings-Display-Weather- sight distance).

I've experimented with this, from 70 miles to 130. But when I look at the scenery outside the cockpit, or in spot view, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Here is what I do: In Scenery, I choose Medium high, then go to Weather and play around wuth varying sight distances. Still they all end up visually the same.

Another curious feature of fs9- if you choose top down view and expand the range, soon you can see that the area of textures is actually  shaped like a cross, not a circle around the aircraft

So is sight distance more or less limited?

Misgav

My Specs

Intel Core i5@3.30 GHz

RAM- 16 GB

Windows 7 64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

2 MAG monitors, 19" and 22"

Hi,

yes I think this is the way FS9 works, without any possibility to change in general. You can, however, max out the size of the "cross", but nevertheless it will stay a cross. Behind this, you'll see a worldwide simple base landclass.

How read the following three lines in your fs9.cfg:

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=
?

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Misgav, if you use ASN or another weather program, I recommend you set the maximum visibility to 30 miles.

If you set weather in the sim, set the visibility to 30 miles and drag the visibility zone to 90000 feet.

Above 30 miles, the fading in FS9 does not work properly anymore - there is no real difference between 31 up to unlimited when there is no fading at all.

Sascha

Harald,

Where does the fs9.cfg: hide on the computer?

I searched for it, but the "search programs and files" tool failed to locate it.

I do use Active Sky v 6.5. I have it on 59 miles max vis. I'll try a lower setting and see how it looks.

Misgav

Hi, at my PC it sits at

C.\Users\***your name***\AppData\Roaming\MIcrosoft\FS9

If I search for "fs9.cfg" at C:\, then my PC finds it.

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg