Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

R9 290 4gb?

That really depends on what you're looking for.

If you're mostly satisfied with your 7970 but would just like to push a bit higher then sure, you'll get ~10-25% out of it.

I personally wouldn't do it unless I was able to make a good sale on the 7970 to cover a nice chunk of the upgrade price, because on pure performance gains alone, it won't be enough to eat the cost outright, imho.

Not that you asked, but my personal plan is just to hold out until LM brings in multi-gpu support. I don't see a single GPU with enough grunt to really crank things up for quite some time, not before 2015 I'd bet. Especially at eyefinity resolutions. We might see something towards Q4 if we're lucky.

It's a shame what mining has done to pricing, especially in the second hand market. It might be starting to ease a bit now, but I am glad I picked up both of my cards before things got out of hand.

What a strange conversation to be having about a flight simulator  :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney

I would not want to dish out 550$ Cdn + tax for a card that only gives a slight push of 10+ %

that would mean going from 14 to 16+ fps on approach, not even perceptable

I'm using 2 R9-290x cards (Sapphire non-reference model) in Crossfire and I am quite pleased. I run triple monitors, though, so the more power I can get the better.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I'm using 2 R9-290x cards (Sapphire non-reference model) in Crossfire and I am quite pleased. I run triple monitors, though, so the more power I can get the better.

Nice rig Bill.

Have you ever monitored your video ram usage with the three screens?

How close to the 4GBs are you getting?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Nice rig Bill.

gb.

While waiting for Bill's reply let me add that my 3G card goes to 2,930MB usage (FSDT -  KJFK), of which about 400 is for Windows etc...

Knowing that, I expect a 4G card to use even more VRAM

Nice rig Bill.

gb.

Honestly, not really. I've never been much for monitoring anything (FPS, etc.). I just know that pushing that many pixels requires a beefy GPU and that Crossfire/SLI optimization is a priority for P3D. Plus, my previous rig was also a triple-monitor 6970 setup so I am familiar with Eyefinity. So, I went for it. For the sake of science, though, I'll fire up GPU-Z next time I fly and let you know.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I won't have time for a real flight for a while, but a quick bit of fooling around in the default aircraft and scenario with heavy thunderstorms got me up to about 3.2 GB.  That's default scenery and moderate to high display settings.

Bill

Referring to the point made on the 290 vs 290x...yes I've been eyeing the 290x prices... And they are starting to come back down.... Somewhat...but, is the 290 really just as good?

Just ordered an R9-290 (non.X)

MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming Twin Frozr    hope it performs well :Praying:

So much for the trip to Paris

The mountain bike is still open for purchase (benefits of quitting smoking)