Sign in to follow this  
N1G

A Gold mine... my neighbors

We just bought a home in the Houston area. Very quiet neighborhood and mostly retired and work from home folks. I have been doing a lot of work around here to get ready for summer. 

We got a great deal but along with that comes work and some cash of course. We moved in in January and during that period I met most of the neighbors on the cul-de-sac, but just this week I met 2 more, one of which is right behind me and I talked with him for about 30 minutes over the fence. Ok, I am getting to the good stuff but just wanted to give you a little background.  One gentleman is retired from Delta and guess what he did? Well a pilot 1st, but before retiring he did 10 years as an instructor and trainer. He flew the 707 and 727 way back. What a great guy and I helped him replace his pool pump and he told me he still has some connections if I need to know anything. Wow nice huh? Ok now for the guy behind me. His name is Jeff and he is the 1st officer with United and fly's the 737. I think the 800 but not sure. He started out in an ATR but also did many hours in the Embraer. Not sure what model, but I will be talking with him again as next week we are both working together to replace our common cedar fence in back. Anyway, all of this in one day! I needed a nap after that!  What a great neighborhood we picked out.

So, maybe I could get access to a simulator with Delta or United (probably not), but just having access to these guys is enough for me.

Regards

Bob

Gotta love neighbors. Who knows, maybe the Delta guy can get you a ride on a Level-D sim. If you ever have the opportunity to ride a sim, do it. Several years back I had a connection at FlightSafety in Savannah who, on multiple occasions, got me on both the G-IV and G-V sims. I'll never forget those experiences.

Todd

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hey Todd,

Oh yea for sure. If I get an offer like that it would take death to keep me away. Sounds like you had a great experience. I will let you all know how it goes. Who knows, I may decide to become a tuber and learn the FMC with Jeff's help LOL. Imaging having a 737 pilot right next to you going over systems on the NGX or similar. Wow.

Bob

Ah...another simmer who has YET to learn the FMC.  That's my problem too.  Even started a thread on that in the FSX forum. Believe it or not, there are many of us.

Stan

The FMC can look quite daunting at first, but with enough practice use of the system becomes second nature.  It's almost like learning to type for the first time, but before you know it you will wish all aircraft, GA included, had one!    In fact, I moved to MSFS from X-Plane in 2008 because I was tired of not having access to a FMC in the X-Plane tubeliners.  

The good news is that the operating philosophy for FMC's is pretty consistent among aircraft types in a family.  Boeing FMCs work a certain way, and the interface and flows are shared among types in the family from multiple generations, i.e, the "Glass Guppy" 737-300/400/500 thru the 777.   Learn the ways of one, and you won't even need to open up the manual for the other types.   Same goes for Airbus, and the McDonnell Douglas series (at least the MD-11 and 717).  The McDonnell Douglas FMC is basically a hybrid that incorporates terminology and functionality used by both Airbus and Boeing, but each of those two families have their own operating philosophy exclusive to the manufacturer.  

The way I see it, having experience with all three major manufacturers, I almost feel like I learned 3 different languages.