Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Private / Commercial (135) Pilot Currency?

I'd be interested in hearing from other active private or commercial pilots: Regarding currency for flying, what do you consider necessary?The FAA has the 90-day currency rule for carrying passengers, but many (including me) consider this to be beyond the time needed between flights to keep skills sharp. My flight club has a 60 day currency requirement, requiring a CFI check-out if that is exceeded.What do you all think?Thanks,Bruce.

Guest glnflwrs

To be able to carry passengers for hire a CommPilot must have five landings to a full stop in the type within the past 30 days. Exceed this and it's dual time for five landings while the CFI watches from the tarmac.Glenn

Thanks Glenn.Do you consider five landings/take-offs in 30 days adequate to be "current" (your own standards)? Bruce.

Guest glnflwrs

Not at all. To be proficient at comm flight I would need five landings a week or more. As far as inst goes your not proficient unless you fly every week. And not in the least complex aircraft your rated for, but in the most complex aircraft and in something other than perfect conditions. Proficiency is always being ready to handle the most unexpected situation you've been trained to handle. With the price (wet) of twins the way they are (were) I gave up trying to keep my comm rating current a LONG time ago. I'm current PPL/SEL.Glenn

Guest Jeff S KDTW

At this stage, I don't feel comfortable taking up passengers unless I have sufficient T&L within the preceeding 30 days. That is assuming VFR conditions.If IFR, I certainly don't feel proficient carrying passengers in IMC without a few approaches in the last month._____________________________Jeff S. KDTWPilot Land & SeaInstrument Rated

Hi Jeff,I'm not IR (yet, working on it), but would certainly concur regarding the currency for pax in the preceding 30 days.Thanks,Bruce.