Sign in to follow this  
cbrown

Skyvector.com

Has there been some change to the Skyvector website?  I've had no problem accessing it until recently, now, all I get is an error;  "Forbidden  You don't have permission to access /  on this server".

The EADS (Eurocontrol ) website has started giving log-in errors due to Java upgrades not working properly with it, but can still be used after logging in each time. That site says it works best, without errors, with Java 1.6.0_32 but both of my computers have automatically upgraded to JRE7.

Has anyone else had problems and found a way round them?

Thanks

Colin B

As soon as I try to access the URL, even clicking on your link above, I get the error message as shown earlier, the page title is "403 Forbidden".  Apart from the EADS site which is definitely due to using a more up-to-date Java version, everything else seems accessible normally.

Colin B

I used CCleaner to clean out all temporary (and Internet ) files and cleaned the registery, but still no success with Firefox or IE.

Colin B

Just for interest. I can now access skyvector.com completely normally on both computers.

Apart from what I posted above, I did nothing further and that was only done to the main computer, to the other, an old laptop, nothing.

The only clue when accessing on the laptop, was a message that it was checking compatibility of a Firefox add-on. Strange when, for the last 2 days, both were saying Forbidden.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Colin B

There are two different Java 7 applications for Firefox.

The runtime version Java Platform SE 7 U51 10.51.2.13 works.

Firefox will not by default enable the Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.510.13 10.51.2,13 because of a known security issue.

Be sure you install the Plateform SE 7 version. I have no problem logging into and using the SE 7 version with Eurocontrol EAD site.

Just open the Tools/AddOns tab in Firefox to check.

I have that one ( SE 7 U51 10.51.2.13) shown in Tools/Addons Java but I still have to log on every time whereas it always remembered me before and kept me logged in.  I can still use the site Ok after logging on each time.

The first page states

"Please note: Newer Java versions (e.g. Java 7) will not work and will give you a misleading error about not being logged in. This error is caused by a change in the Java architecture which no longer allows certain parameter handling."

Apart from that, everything seems to be normal again without any further action.

Colin B

I have that one ( SE 7 U51 10.51.2.13) shown in Tools/Addons Java but I still have to log on every time whereas it always remembered me before and kept me logged in.  I can still use the site Ok after logging on each time.

The first page states

"Please note: Newer Java versions (e.g. Java 7) will not work and will give you a misleading error about not being logged in. This error is caused by a change in the Java architecture which no longer allows certain parameter handling."

Apart from that, everything seems to be normal again without any further action.

Colin B

I have FF set to remember my PW for that site. As soon as I type the first letter of the user name, it opens in a dropdown, I select it, and the PW fills in. Just tested and it works.

Also note that the site sends an e-mail for you to change your PW about every three months.

I've been using the site for years and that's also how it worked for me until recently, and now, although I've told FF to remember the password, I get EADS' message about the log-in error with Java7 and then I can log-in normally.  It started at the same time that I got the "Forbidden" message from Skyvector, which for no apparent reason, has returned to normal.

Colin B

Edit:  I spoke too soon. just tried both sites again, and both have the original problems on both computers.

I am not having any problem with either. Are you using NoScript? Anything blocked? I'm on XP SP3. FF is 29 beta 7 at the moment.

Using XP SP3, Simple mode-no HTML, don't think anything is blocked, FF 28.0, and it all worked Ok just now except for log-in required again for EADs. (Have changed password.)  Skyvector back to normal with nothing done to affect it since last night.

It appears to be just another one of those computer things!

You're as bad as me,  still using XP.   :lol:

Colin B

On the EADS site, under "My profile/Password"/Application Access, you have choice of "Simple mode- no HTML" or "Advanced mode, requires Java". I've now tried both with the same result

It works OK when I log-in but it now requires it every time whereas , before, it always remembered me (with "remember password for sites" checked and I was never required to log-in except every few months when I had to change password or used CCleaner.

But at least it works again as does Skyvector.

Colin B