Sign in to follow this  
DLH9KA

Few words on the Training

Good evening Gentlemen,

yesterday evening I bought the Cadet Training for the Q400 and wanted to share a few thoughts with you.

First of all, sorry if there are any flaws in grammer and such stuff here...

Obviously I'm not an english man and therefore not a pro in english language or spelling :P

When I saw the announcement that the program had been released, I couldn't resist!

Although I flew the Q400 in the SIM several times and also on VATSIM in different countries I was eager to learn from an actual Q400 Pilot.

A friend of mine has flown the Q400 as FO as well until his airline closed recently (maybe someone still knows about Augsburg Airways), but he doesn't have the time to tell such flightsim people like me how to operate like Airlines do, nor does he have time to tell me these good tips you do here!

I must admit that I was a bit uncertain what to expect...

Although it's really nice and important to know about how each System works in detail I was a bit afraid of those famous AOA System shematics lessons, were they teach you for hours how everything works.

As ATC guy I'm more the practical person, so I'm really happy to see that you found a practical and still very immersive and informative way of teaching people how to operate the Q400!

I like it being put into the sim and being told more and more with every Video!

Thus it's never getting boring and with Josh telling uas many of those rel world Tips and Tricks, it's allways interesting and fun to watch!

But I have to admit that at certain times you guys can really be fast in terms of speaking and clicking.

For me it's not a problem to follow as I'm very well used to fast talking, but I can imagine for people with less language skills and with less Q400 experience it can be a bit demanding from time to time!

You may wanna consider talking a little bit slower in complex situations for next videos but that's just a minor problem for me here :P

All in all it's a very good Set of lessons you put together and it's fun to watch and even when watching twice or a third time there's still something to learn or to find that is usefull!

Thank you and thumbs up guys! :good: :good:

Rgds from Germany,

Patrick

Herzlichen Dank Patrick!

We are aware of the speed of the language thing and we absolutely will look at it for our next set of tutorials. Thank you for your kind words. We wanted something informative but not over technical as we firmly believe that most people just want to get in and get flying. Glad you enjoyed it and there's plenty more to come from us in the future!

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

So how many technical backround is in the videos?

I'm realy eager to learn the Q400 properly, but are a little bit uncertain still. Money is short at my end at the moment anyway. I did buy and went through the AOA 737 training and liked it; especially because of the in depth technical information.

There's some tutorials on the Q400 that are quite ok. Don't get me wrong, I assume your training is much more professional, no question. But I wouldn't be interested in a training that only shows/explaines the procedures and leaves out how the Q400 itself works. I want to understand the Q400, not only know which buttons to press in which order.

I couldn't figure that out from the trailer and the webpage. But maybe Benjamin can shed som light on it.

So how many technical backround is in the videos?

I'm realy eager to learn the Q400 properly, but are a little bit uncertain still. Money is short at my end at the moment anyway. I did buy and went through the AOA 737 training and liked it; especially because of the in depth technical information.

There's some tutorials on the Q400 that are quite ok. Don't get me wrong, I assume your training is much more professional, no question. But I wouldn't be interested in a training that only shows/explaines the procedures and leaves out how the Q400 itself works. I want to understand the Q400, not only know which buttons to press in which order.

I couldn't figure that out from the trailer and the webpage. But maybe Benjamin can shed som light on it.

They explain pretty much what each button does. They do not go into schematics of the airplane explaining how a turboprop engine works or how the electrical system is laid out if that's what you want. If you want that just go to smartcockpit.com and download some manuals. They teach you how to fly the Q400 in the simulator, since knowing how every system works in minute detail would turn most people off and would not be relevant to a sim.

They explain pretty much what each button does. They do not go into schematics of the airplane explaining how a turboprop engine works or how the electrical system is laid out if that's what you want. If you want that just go to smartcockpit.com and download some manuals. They teach you how to fly the Q400 in the simulator, since knowing how every system works in minute detail would turn most people off and would not be relevant to a sim.

Yeah, I know about smartcockpit and have read through some of the manuals there already. I went as well through the sticky thread in this forum that describes what each lesson will be about and that sounds promising. I might give it a go.

The problem with the smartcockpit manuals is that they are complete but really concise. Some topics, f.e. the powerplant one, are hard to understand. At least for me. I still have problems to understand how the FADEC works, which is quite relevant for flying the sim imho, and would hope the training covers that.

Mike is right,

you will be told how to operate the Q400 from a real pilots point of view!

This means, you will be teached what the systems do and when you need them and how to operate in a practical and useful manner!

There are no in depth shematics like with AOA but thats perfectly fine as the training will teach and show you everything you need, to operate the Q400 in the Simulator environment like a airline pilot would do.

And thats done very nicely!

Rafael - I can't add much to what has already been said. Our thinking is that if you want the FCOM/Smartcockpit kind of stuff, it's out there on the net. What isn't out there is a Q400 pilot to show you the ropes, and how the systems link in with the operation of the aircraft. That's what we show you. The flight deck familiarization tutorial is an hour long and covers pretty much every switch, so there is a reasonable level of technical detail. 

The First Officer course which is due out in 12 weeks will go into more systems depth, but again this will be from the point of view of flying the Q400. So for example you won't see a diagram of how the de-ice boots work as frankly I don't think most people really care, but you'll get a full explanation of what they do, how and when to use them and a demonstration of them in use as we fly across the Alps between two airports where heavy snow is falling. Everything we do will be tied into the pilot's experience of handling the aircraft. 

Hope that helps, and it'd be great if you hop on board with our training program. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I just got through the first two videos and was knocked over for 6! I learnt a lot about switches I had been pressing because the checklist or flows said I should do so but had no clear picture of what the logic was behind it. Now i do.

The pace of the videos and clarity of the instructions are spot on. A very impressive package guys, thumbs up from me!

Sent from my Mobile thing

Thanks for all your answers.

I probably gave the wrong impression with my first posts. Even though I like the technical stuff, I too want primarily fly the Dash, not read the blueprints. Will expressed my thoughts better then me...

... I learnt a lot about switches I had been pressing because the checklist or flows said I should do so but had no clear picture of what the logic was behind it. Now i do.

I watched as well the preview LOC-DME approach and liked it. So I'll join in the training as soon as my bank account permits.

Having watched the first 8 videos, you can be confident that the tutorials are not "system"  videos but "operations" videos with emphasis on the practical. For example, when some recommended procedures are not necessary, the instructors say why, without going deeply into systeml details ("The company says to turn these switches off, but it really doesn't matter whether you do or not, unless you are  a maintenance man."

Henri Arsenault