Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

Can a GTX 780 Ti handle the shadows?

I have GTX 660 Ti Overclocked

Processor i 7 4770k @ 3.5ghz

Ram 16GB

Windows 7 64 bit

Prepar 3D 2.2 runs great but , as everyone knows the shadows drops fps, in my case up to  by 50% in bad weather.

Will a GTX 780Ti make a big difference and be able to handle the cloud and terrain shadows?

My GTX-770 Overclocked w/4GB VRAM certainly does!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Zotac is one of the fastest 780ti's

And honestly.. It's one of the best cards out there.
If that thing doesn't pull it, nothing will (But it will work)

I have the EVGA GTX 780ti Dual Classified.

I don't run P3D v2, but i have yet to find a game that brings this card to it's knees. (Maybe Watch Dogs will succeed)

I've got an MSI GTX780Ti. With cloud shadows kept to a distance of 10km I get very reasonable framerates in bad weather. If I push them out to 30km my framerate is massacred (i.e. drops well below 10fps) in anything more than few or scattered cloud cover.

As Sponge says, for just about every other game out there right now the 780Ti absolutely eats it alive without even breaking a sweat.

My GTX-770 Overclocked w/4GB VRAM certainly does!

Cloud shadows with dense cloud cover?

André

Regardless of the graphics card, you will get a hit on performance from shadows. Performance on my 780 drops from around 60 fps to just above 30 fps with cloud shadows 10000 m and medium quality when the cloud cover is dense. This is definitely flyable but not super smooth anymore. I wouldn't expect a 780ti to yield much better results (yes, you might get 5 fps more). To answer your question: yes, a 780ti can handle the shadows, but do not expect to get perfectly smooth performance with all the sliders maxed and in every situation. Only SLI will be able to achieve this, I guess...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I'm not noticing any cloud shadow performance problems at the moment, but the weather is good in northern europe currently, so not much cloud cover

I'm at FL330 currently and just put cloud shadow distance to maximum and am getting great performance, I have a 770

I'm not noticing any cloud shadow performance problems at the moment, but the weather is good in northern europe currently, so not much cloud cover

I'm at FL330 currently and just put cloud shadow distance to maximum and am getting great performance, I have a 770

Just wait until it's overcast ;) My FPS dropped to 15 with the same card, even with map count low. As stated, modern cards can handle few to scattered clouds, but much more than that and it's slideshow time.

The next gen video cards will be able to handle the shadows better but shadows in general will always kill FPS and for that reason I just turn them off.

Can we apply a cloud shadow setting for the VC only?

That is the one of real value to me, getting some shade when there is supposed to be shade in the VC (hate having full sun elements when your in a cloud, raining...

Dont care for the ground cloud shadows as much, although they are OK, they are less obvious

Sounds like the performance Im getting with my 660Ti Superclocked.

I hope I didnt waste my money upgrading.