Sign in to follow this  
troyk

Flight Controls for PMDG aircraft

Hi guys.

One thing I've neglected with my simming is upgrading my flight controls. At the moment I just use a standard joystick for taxi/takeoff and landing etc. I've thought about something like a Saitek yoke, but it would set me back $275 NZ dollars. How many of you actually use a yoke? Does it really add to your overall experience or is it just an expensive showpiece? Interested in your thoughts before I give up the cash.

I use a Saitek yoke and pedal set and it's really better. I also use the pedals with a Logitech Attack 3 joystick (it's ambidextrous so I can fly it with my left hand) for Airbuses.

sig01.png

I'm not an expert, but I think the answer to your question depends on why you are using a sim in the first place. If you're learning to fly the real thing then you need to simulate the real thing. If, like me, you're just simming for game purposes or simple pleasure, then I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference. It would then depend on how much resource you could afford...just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I have found each piece has added to the level of immersion. CH yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant. Track IR.

I have bought the saitek cessna yoke and it makes a hell lot of difference ..from there i bought the cessna trim wheel and ruddrr pedals and to me it changed my handling of the planes..it felt better than a plain joystick and i would never want to go back to a joystick except for airbus

I use a saitek yoke and throttle quadrant myself and I have to say it definitely beats using an XBOX360 controller. Saving up for rudder pedals though, currently don't have them :/ Have to use autorudder to taxi on the ground and it makes for scary crosswind landings.

In my experience, The saitek yoke and rudder pedals are fantastic and i use them daily. However, i found that the throttle quadrants degrade over time until they become useless and i have had three do the same. I have swapped to the CH products Throttle quadrant and it is far more accurate and sturdy in my opinion. 

I've been using the Saitek yoke now for about a month and I must say it really adds to the experience. However, the yoke is not very smooth I noticed (especially when moving it back and forth, turning left and right goes fine). Anyone else experienced something similar with the Saitek yoke?

I've been using the Saitek yoke now for about a month and I must say it really adds to the experience. However, the yoke is not very smooth I noticed (especially when moving it back and forth, turning left and right goes fine). Anyone else experienced something similar with the Saitek yoke?

I've modified my yoke to resolve all those issues. Changed all the springs to rubber bands and such, and turned the yoke upside down, so I can have the yoke closer to my lap then at chest height. Just remember though, if you're gonna do those things your warranty will no longer be valid.  :lol:

Just got my Saitek Yoke today. Super excited!

Ok lads, been messing around for a few hours now and can now categorically state that using a yoke like this massively improves my pmdg 737/777 experience.

Yes same issue with SAITEK throttle quads, they degrade quite a bit over time - and then need a lot of calibrating - ive had to swap which levers are throttle quite a few times because of the noise they generate, and use the duff levers for other things which need less precision.

Will look to other suppliers for next throttle replacements.

Shame the motorised force feedback yokes aren't at a sensible price,

I've been actually entertaining the idea lately of building my own cockpit, starting with the MCP and EFIS (this is for the NGX, btw). I got all the electronics kinda figured out, and how i'll be doing the connection with the PC and sim (all built by myself). And i figured that i don't really need an MCP that looks 100% real, or has all switches identical (like, instead of finding a knob for heading select with a selector sleeve, just use two knobs... i'm not picky).

Trouble is when i got to thinking about the throttles. For some reason, i can't really think about making a cheap imitation. It's either the real deal, complete with motorized levers, thrust reverse levers, or no deal. Using those reverse levers must really be fun.

Even though all of this is just a thought project right now.... How much does an used NG throttle quadrant go for these days? :D

Cristi Neagu