Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

Traitor ?

Several months ago I purchased Prepared3D V2. Academic Licence version since I am studying for PPL.

Tonight I installed V2.2.  Nirvana.

I have never been a fan of the incomplete and buggy FSX.  And while I purchased a full set of ORBX sceneries and airports for Australia I had rarely flown in it and subsequently removed it entirely once starting to fly airliners more or less exclusively in FS9.

P3D intrigued me since Lockheed Martin were actually developing it.  The sim was not set in stone as was FSX.

The proof of the pudding was tonight. I flew west from my home airport, YBNA, Ballina (Ant's rendition is fabulous) north coast NSW in A2A's Cessna 172 reg. VH-LCY,  at 3,300ft leaving at 0730 EST.  Nothing unusual ... apart from cloud SHADOWS.  Yes folks.  At last in sims ... clouds actually cast shadows on the landscape and your aircraft to boot. Shadows everywhere.  Unlike sterile FSX.

Neither the shadows nor the water as fine as in Train Simulator mind!

I will continue to fly (and love FS9) all over the world in airliners.  I will fly small aircraft in Australia in P3D. Best of both worlds as far as I am concerned. 

My cpu 4770k is o/c to 4.4 and my modest GTX560Ti (1Gb) o/c mildly to 999 from 950. Frames locked at 30fps and holding although in VC they fall to 25fps.

It IS safe to go back in the water folks.  P3Dv2.2 IS the real deal.

Not a traitor at all :)  Only recently switched to FSX, wasn't happy so upgraded to FSX with Steves DX10 fixer.  Am totally blown away by the experience.   Cant wait for the switch to P3D once PMDG and FSLabs move across.

DX10 completely transforms FSX, especially the lighting and shadows with no performance hit.   Of course P3D with Dx11 is the future.

FS9 will always be a great sim to me, I still fire it up every now and then. Just like being with an old friend.  That fact that so many still fly FS9 proves how good it is.

Good luck with your PPL

Rob Prest

With everything I have seen about P3D 2.2 I might just go ahead and make the jump from FSX to P3D, just worried about my thousands of dollars worth of FSX aircraft and scenery that might not work in P3D...

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

.....just worried about my thousands of dollars worth of FSX aircraft and scenery that might not work in P3D...

Think you have a problem?  Try those of us with FS9 ONLY who would lose EVERYTHING by switching!  Being retired now, I'm sticking with FS9 to the end ......hmmmmm........that doesn't sound good now that I'm "getting up there" .......

Try those of us with FS9 ONLY who would lose EVERYTHING by switching!  Being retired now, I'm sticking with FS9 to the end ......hmmmmm........that doesn't sound good now that I'm "getting up there" .......

I'm retired too!  And have many thousands invested in FS9.  Isn't it ironic that FSXers like Spartan above are now in the same boat as us ... but couldn't understand why we were reluctant to adopt FSX?

Good luck with your PPL

Thanks Rob.  I still take the Airsimmer ET up frequently.  The Cessna 172 is real flying ... seat-of-the-pants stuff.  I'm hanging out for ORBX's forthcoming Victa AirTourer however, an aircraft I did take the controls of during a joyflight many years ago and found most enjoyable, and forgiving.

Interesting title to your thread... I don't find any stigma attaching to P3D, the way there was with FSX.

It's just another sim, and I may or may not dabble.

FS9 will stay alive on my computer because on current spec there is no way P3D will run!

Splashing 5 or 6 grand on new hardware for a single computer game is something I will ponder over, too.

(No other software I run requires anything even near what your spec says above). 

Whatever the outcome, FS9 has had a hell of a run, and provided me more value than just about any other form of entertainment I can think of. 

And it still has a bit of life in it I reckon.

BE interested to hear if your P3D experience weans you from FS9 ultimately. 

interested to hear if your P3D experience weans you from FS9 ultimately

In P3D I will be happy to fly in Australia only and in GA aircraft since that is more in keeping with my PPL ambitions.

in FS9 I literally fly ALL over the world and have too many receipts of payware airports to prove it.

Being retired I can't afford to replicate my airport requirements in P3D ... I'm used to FS9 anyway and, frankly, it does what I want to do brilliantly.  The two sims will happily co-exist ... and I will fly each depending on mood.

I can't get P3D until I get a new graphic card (or a whole new computer). My old card I have now will not run P3D.

I'm retired too!  And have many thousands invested in FS9.  Isn't it ironic that FSXers like Spartan above are now in the same boat as us ... but couldn't understand why we were reluctant to adopt FSX?

Thanks Rob.  I still take the Airsimmer ET up frequently.  The Cessna 172 is real flying ... seat-of-the-pants stuff.  I'm hanging out for ORBX's forthcoming Victa AirTourer however, an aircraft I did take the controls of during a joyflight many years ago and found most enjoyable, and forgiving.

I lost money switching from FS9 to FSX, albeit not as much but I still lost. The difference for me is how much of an improvement is 2.2 over FSX Sp2 with tweaks, how stable is the engine now, any more of those "stopped working" errors?

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

any more of those "stopped working" errors?

... so far, so good.

Best to keep an eye out on the P3D General forum here for latest user experiences.