Sign in to follow this  
Buziel-411

So is no one using Nvidia Inpsector in 2.2?

I went ahead and bought 2.2 last night, and even without any addons installed it is pretty awesome! However, in some VCs (like in Carenado/Alabeo aircraft) there are lots of shimmers and jaggies on the gauges... I can force SGSSAA throught NI but the performance impact is pretty major, especially on my 660 Ti.

Is everyone just using the built in multisampling? 

Nope..not using it at all bro....

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I don't use inspector in V2.2, I tried SGSS but it's very heavy on the FPS. In app settings are fine with great performance.

Hmmm, well everything is pretty awesome except for the gauges in some of the more detailed aircraft... :( 4x MSAA still produces lots of shimmering and it is rather distracting.

Hmmm, well everything is pretty awesome except for the gauges in some of the more detailed aircraft... :( 4x MSAA still produces lots of shimmering and it is rather distracting.

Exactly why I'm using NI. Can't tolerate the shimmering VC gauge textures and I dont see much different in performance, at least for the gains in quality.

Exactly why I'm using NI. Can't tolerate the shimmering VC gauge textures and I dont see much different in performance, at least for the gains in quality.

Are you using Supersampling transparency or Sparse Grid Supersampling?

I saw big performance improvements after I dropped my Inspector profile and just went with in-game settings.  I can live with some gauge and runway-line shimmering.  The only thing that's really bothering me at the moment is the FTX Global lights - in the distance, as they fade in, they're a shimmery mess and it's really a distraction.  So I've just begun to experiment with going back to NI for supersampling (or SGSS if it comes to it).  No results to report yet.  I'd be interested to hear if others have dealt with this particular issue, and if so, how.  

Having "Mipmap VC panels" on can cut the VC shimmers sometimes.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I'm using NI just to force 4xSGSS.   Without it the ORBX night lights in the distance are a shimmering mess.  I haven't noticed much of a performance hit because I seem to have plenty of head room on my 680 GTX.  The only time it gets close to 100% usage is when I'm not CPU bound and the frame rates are good.  When the frame rates are lower, I'm CPU bound and GPU usage is only at 50% so the extra AA doesn't have much of an impact.....

Using the built in 2x multisampling and the 2x SGSSAA seems to still yield good results without destroying performance too badly. I was getting around 20-25 frames at FSDT KJFK with overcast conditions in the Qualitywings 757.

Speaking of which, the QW 757's gauges are still pretty legible even without the SGSSAA. I don't know what it is about the Carenado cockpits, but they seem to shimmer more than any addon I have used...

I'm using NI just to force 4xSGSS.   Without it the ORBX night lights in the distance are a shimmering mess.  I haven't noticed much of a performance hit because I seem to have plenty of head room on my 680 GTX.  The only time it gets close to 100% usage is when I'm not CPU bound and the frame rates are good.  When the frame rates are lower, I'm CPU bound and GPU usage is only at 50% so the extra AA doesn't have much of an impact.....

I apologize for the double post, but wow, I certainly know what you mean. I finished downloading my copy of the triple installer for ORBX PNW from the FlightSimStore, and yes the shimmering on the 3D lighting is FAR more annoying than the cockpits...

I am thinking it might just be best to save up for a GTX 880 whenever it is released, or maybe wait for better SLI support and get dual graphics cards. I was hoping just the built in anti aliasing would look better, given that is what the majority of 2.2 adopters seem to be using.

Yeah I'm not shelling out $700 to get the very next generation and an extra 2 FPS.  I'll wait for the 880... My 680 seems to be doing pretty well with P3D v2 and overall I'm quite pleased with the performance.  I have the graphics turned up pretty heavy with tons of AI traffic and I'm still getting good results.

I recently moved from a GTX 680 to a 780ti.  It didn't help at all with AA (didn't expect it to) but it performs better in many other respects - it chews through clouds and volumetric fog, and it's much better on shadows, though you still have to be selective.  

Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with the shimmering ORBX lights.  I'll try one of the SGSS settings in NI and see if that helps.

UPDATE: Setting 4xSGSS in NI (with no other changes from the global default profile) helped tame the FTX Global light shimmers, but at quite a performance cost.  Tomorrow I'll backtrack to 2X SGSS and see if that might be the answer.  

I saw big performance improvements after I dropped my Inspector profile and just went with in-game settings.  I can live with some gauge and runway-line shimmering.  The only thing that's really bothering me at the moment is the FTX Global lights - in the distance, as they fade in, they're a shimmery mess and it's really a distraction.  So I've just begun to experiment with going back to NI for supersampling (or SGSS if it comes to it).  No results to report yet.  I'd be interested to hear if others have dealt with this particular issue, and if so, how.  

No problems here with FTX Global lights, a bit shimmery but only in the far distance.

I tested with SGSS 4x and my frames dropped from +/-38 to 25/28 FPS with ORBX PNW in the A2A Cessna. Without an Inspector profile I get a stable 38/40 FPS in the same situation but a little shimmering. I can't find a big difference between 2x and 4x SGSS performance.

Have mine set to 4xsgssaa in NI and it smooth as silk and visually great. Occasionally get a jaggy runway line but majority of them are fine

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors