Sign in to follow this  
hocdaddy

Transfering FSX to another drive

Hi,

I currently have FXS installed on my computer's C drive.  I am experiencing performance issues.  I have a 1.5 Terabyte external hard

drive that I want to transfer FSX to. Do I need to do a new installation of FSX to the external drive?  And if so, can I copy and paste all the

add-on apps?  I have apps that required a password and/or a license key at installation.  Will I have to retrieve the information & reinstall

as well?  And if I can do it, will it corrupt FSX on the C drive in any way?

When responding, can you explain in layman's terms, preferably in bulleted instructions.

Thanks,

hocdaddy

Not sure if you are saying the current drive is going bad, or if you are running out of room on the drive.

I'm sure moving it over can be done but it will open a can of worms. More so with addon aircraft that have registry entries. You are best to go with a fresh install.

If you are running out of room on your drive....instead of moving your entire FSX why not move some of your addon scenery?

It is very easy to move addon scenery to the new drive.

In fact I have most of my addon scenery on a seperate drive than the one FSX is installed on.

All you would need to do is edit the scenery.cfg to point to where you moved the scenery to.

I created an identical folder structure on my other drive so all I had to do was edit the drive letter.

A lot of FSX stuff needs to be linked to the registry.

Simply copying and pasting everything won't work.

If you want a seamless and trouble free installation, you should just do it from the discs and install all your addons after.

I received this advice via a FSX forum some time ago, cant remember from where but it worked....

1.Re-name old directory (ie F:\FSX to F:\FSX_OLD).
2. Make a new directory (ie F:\FSX).
3. Install FSX, fly default flight, shutdown. Install Acceleration.
4. Delete new directory and all it's files.
5. Re-name old directory (ie F:\FSX_OLD to F:\FSX).
6. Re-name FSX.CFG to FSX_CFG_OLD. Copy over your tuned FSX.CFG.

You might have some addon HTML problems, just re-install that addon.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Hi hoc,

Unless I'm overlooking something it seems unlikely that relocating FSX to a different location will correct any performance problems.  Also unless your external drive is SATA or at least USB 3.0 you won't be satisfied with the loading time.  If you choose the symbolic link method, which I also recommend, I have a shortcut method; bulleted at that!

Jim F.

Missed the part about the external drive.....That would be a no-no. You might want to reevaluate.

Also agree that you don't want to move to an 'external' drive... your performance would go in the bad direction. Why not grab another internal drive, preferably an SSD one.