Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

GPU Load 20-55% and yet FPS is not above 25-30?

Any ideer what is going on ? 

CPU Load is 25-45% max

Michael

GTX780SC

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

You'll need to tell me exactly how GPU load is being determined (i.e. if you are using GPU-Z or some other tool, what exactly is it using to determine "GPU Load" and how often is it sampling load).

Cheers, Rob.

I use ProcessExplorer, 

I also find it strange that if i change a setting like disabling shadows no change in performance. I need to restart my PC everytime i have change the settings

After 30 minutes in flight i start to have loading problems with blurry textures. Guess i need AF=15?

Michael

The above setting on rwy KSEA south my GPU is refreshing every second at 33.5% fps is 24-26 (PNW)

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I use ProcessExplorer

And what does it use to determine GPU load?  This is a bit of a trick question, but I'm just trying to help people understand the issue with using these tools.

I don't know Rob. Can I just try to grab the pebble from your hand again?

Well that's just it, we don't know, the programmers of the tools would know.  

But that is my point, all kinds of different types of processing happens on a graphics card from AA to shadow calcs to shaders to tessellation to batches etc. etc. DX11 API is pretty extensive ... I don't see how anything could be coded to report a single % value to indicate GPU load and what it would mean in a performance context.

Cheers, Rob.

I have the same problem, my GPU doesn't get used that much. Around 50% GPU load in most cases and It happens with city areas.

My autogen settings are low as is my LOD radius, etc. etc.

I need to get myself a Titan to use this sim, especially for IFR simulation.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Maybe the driver is broken from Nvidia?

I actually see no performance impact changing the settings in P3DV2 . Resolution Max autogen ,Water maxed out (look cool)shadows on -off etc. Maybe its related to the time of day ?

The best FPS i have achieved is actually around CYVR from FSDT where the GPULOAD is rising to 75-85% . FPS is here around 35-60fps(60fps facing the water) on ground in the Carenado Bonanza. 

Hmm well for now its back to FSX doing some IFR. Will be back later with some VFR. ASN works like a charm now btw.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Forgot also to mention that my GPU sits at 40-51c during this so it seems like its not working correctly ?

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Me too happens to me, I have two GTX 780 in SLI (I know, SLI is not yet enabled prepar3Dv2) but dropped dramatically to the v2.2 of FPS, I have the FTX GLOBAL, VECTOR, 2 MEGAAIPORTS, REX and REX4, and before I did not lose 45, 60 fps, with slippers near maximum, if bottleneck, as it can be avoided?

Forgot also to mention that my GPU sits at 40-51c during this so it seems like its not working correctly ?

Michael

I'm having trouble understanding what it is you expect to happen..

Everything you describe sounds totally normal..

Bert

I'm having trouble understanding what it is you expect to happen..

Everything you describe sounds totally normal..

I was trying to reach out Rob´s experience that i cannot "trust"  the GPUload statement from ProcessExplorer . Look at Robs post in here about it.

If the GPU actually is working harder than 33% as pr ProcessExplorer then the Temp should also be higher i guess.

My temp at around 40-51c tells me that my GPU is not doing its job and therefore my FPS is bad.

With FSX my GPU is at 58-63c which make it in the 70-85% GPULoad area (ProcessExplorer)

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

If your CPU is the bottleneck, the GPU cannot produce higher framerates..

It may just be waiting part of the time.

Bert

I use MSI afterburner to monitor my CPU and GPU usage. If I turn on cloud shadows, load up FTX Global and Vector and go to an area with overcast and TStorms - my CPU is at 100% and my GPU is ay 100% and the FPS start dropping into the teens or single digits. Turn off the cloud shadows and GPU drops to 60-80% and fps go up. CPU stays at 100%.

This is just casual testing trying to find a sweet spot. Whether or not MSI is making accurate reports I can't say but by only using MSI I can easily see changes.

It appears to me that GPU% has no real effect on FPS *unless* you get it maxed - then FPS suffer. I'm guessing that if the GPU jams processing switches to the CPU.

I've tried this with and without NVI profiles enabled - other than jaggies on runway lines, I see no difference either way

IAC, cloud/terrain shadows seem to be the biggest graphics load.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors