Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Windows 8.1

Hi all, in Windows 7, in a scenario I have saved, my FPS were pegged at 30FPS, and cpu load was 0.997.

In EXACTLY the same scenario with windows 8.1 and EXACTLY the same x-plane settings, the FPS are 19 and CPU load is only 0.79?

What's up with this?

Is 8.1 slower than 7?

Ian

I read something the other day equating GPU performance to CPU usage.  I think 8.1 has features to relieve some of the workload on the CPU.    I had seemed to notice, before reading this, that the more "stuff" I threw at my system when running x-plane, the better it performed.  You might try loading more CPU intensive things at it and see it your FRs improve.

John

Edit:  I just noticed your other post and it seems you have already tried. Oh well, I tried!

John Wingold

Yeah mate I tried. It's the weirdest thing ever. It's since going from windows 7 to 8.1.

Performance has tanked!

Yeah, I run it on a Windows 7 machine with throttle quadrant, yoke, pedals, and TrackIR 5.  I have another copy that I run on a Windows 8 machine with a X52 Pro  joystick for several planes with more than 4 engines and helicopters.  Windows 8 is a strange animal.  About time I begin to think I am figuring it out, something else pops up!  I don't think 8.1 is particularly friendly with X-Plane and many other programs.  If they're going to design an OS for a tablet, that should be it.  Give us Windows 7 or equivalent for desktop/laptops.

John

John Wingold

I'm tearing my hair out here with this! Can't understand it at all, even using the same video driver!

Could it be caused by just dragging the x-plane folder over on to the new OS?

First thing with XP troubles is to always REMOVE xp/output/PREFERENCES.-

I've 8.1 as well, but I prefer to run all my Win apps on Ubuntu with Wine...

It sounds like the video drivers are not yet optimized for the new OS. I doubt that it's related to I/O operations since you're CPU usage is fairly low. I think other graphics intensive software has performance issues with 8.1 so you probably aren't alone in this.

Currently I'm a happy Win7 user. If I should update my hardware and Win7 is not an option, I will go back to Ubuntu.

It sounds like the video drivers are not yet optimized for the new OS. I doubt that it's related to I/O operations since you're CPU usage is fairly low. I think other graphics intensive software has performance issues with 8.1 so you probably aren't alone in this.

I've tried 3 sets of drivers now, all same results. Looks like I can't use x-plane 10. Damn. I can't go back to 7 due to other stuff on the PC.

First thing with XP troubles is to always REMOVE xp/output/PREFERENCES.-

I've 8.1 as well, but I prefer to run all my Win apps on Ubuntu with Wine...

Tried that, did not work :(

XP10 running great on Windows 8.1 for me.

Nothing special but running a GTX780 with latest drivers.

Sorry that's not very helpful to you but just so you know it's not necessarily W8.1 that is broken.

I've gone back to windows 7, and it's now working perfect again. So I have no idea what was causing it in windows 8.1 :/

Same rendering settings, same display driver, same plugins. Same everything just different OS!

Windows 8.1= cpu load of 0.70 and slow performance.

Windows 7= 0.97-0.98 cpu load and smooth 30-60fps performance!

Zero problems with FSX or P3D v1 and v2 with Win 8.1.  And that's using an ASUS Q550 LF Laptop with an i7-4500U and GeForce 745 M.  Of course P3D (both versions) run much better than FSX.  To many people are quick to blame Win 8 for their problems when perhaps it's their machine.  I've used Win 8 since it was in Beta and FSX and then P3D ran fine.

Zero problems with FSX or P3D v1 and v2 with Win 8.1. And that's using an ASUS Q550 LF Laptop with an i7-4500U and GeForce 745 M. Of course P3D (both versions) run much better than FSX. To many people are quick to blame Win 8 for their problems when perhaps it's their machine. I've used Win 8 since it was in Beta and FSX and then P3D ran fine.

He is talking about XPX not P3D. Speaking of PD3 i get a lot better performance out of XPX then PD3 V2 with similar rendering settings.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Tried that, did not work :(

I still use Photoshop 7 etc. I've tested newer versions but they slowed me down to about Gimp level. (where the heck is that etc.)

I could not care less about Windows 8.1, I got sick of. Anyone still using Win7, stick to that.