Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

Making water darker

Hi.

I have UTX, REX, FTX Global and DX 10 fixer.

What should i use to make the water darker?
Any program that overwrites the other?

Thanks.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

You'll be wanting to install FS Water, a freeware utility from here.

I've used it for years and still find it strange when people post these amazing screenshots that still have bright blue rivers in them with massive waves rolling along, when there's a simple to use solution like FS Water.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Second Paul's reply. FS Water Configurator is the tool you need. And it's free!

Adjusting the Base-Texture Color Intensity on FSWC is a quick way to adjust the brightness or darkness of the water

www.antsairplanes.com

You'll be wanting to install FS Water, a freeware utility from here.

I've used it for years and still find it strange when people post these amazing screenshots that still have bright blue rivers in them with massive waves rolling along, when there's a simple to use solution like FS Water.

Good tip indeed, but one serious advice:

FS Water Configurater (FSWC) may not work 100% as intended under DX10.

A FSWC+ version which should be fully DX10 compatible is announced, but not sure when it will be released:

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/fswc.shtml

I once tried FSWC Lite, which is DX10 compatible in conjunction with Steve's great DX10 Fixapplied - but i completely messed up all my settings ... :huh:

There is also some little discussion going on at the Striking Software forum regarding that matter:

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=2853.0

But maybe someone else here can offer a dedicated "how-to-do" guide here about setting up FSWC properly when Steve's superb DX10 fix is installed.

Other than that:

If You have REX Essentials installed You may also use the "contrast, saturation, plankton" sliders to gain some darker water as a start/first step.

Thanks.

First i used REX, but that didn't do much.

Then i used UTX, that helped, but only comes with one setting.

I use DX10 BTW.

Perhaps my FSX library load order is messed up.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Thanks.

First i used REX, but that didn't do much.

Then i used UTX, that helped, but only comes with one setting.

I use DX10 BTW.

Perhaps my FSX library load order is messed up.

Hello Peer!

One general note at first:

No worries:

Watertextures have nothing to do with Your FSX library!

Furthermore and just to clarify things a bit ...

UTX and REX are two completely different products for different purposes!

UTX (Ultimate Terrain X) enhances roads, shorelines, landclass, rivers and all that, but (!) does not change textures at all - especially not those from the sky, clouds or water/waves!

REX (Real Environment eXtreme) on the other hand though now does exactly that:

It changes the textures of water/waves, sky, sun, clouds (and also offers a weather engine, which may be used optionally as well).

Now i don't know which specific REX product You are using, but Rex Essentials certainly offers all the options regarding changing contrast, plankton and so on for the water textures as i have outlined previously.

REX4 Direct, if You have this one in use however does not have these options, but still lets You change textures for water/waves, sky, sun and much, much more!

I am sorry that i have no other idea, which may help You, but as You have REX at home, i'd certainly check out the options and textures available there again and play around with it a bit.

And sooner or later You will most likely find the perfect settings which may fit best for Your liking then!

:smile:

I have REX Essentials, perhaps I should try that again?

I just like the water more blue/dark than light/green.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Within the  REX GUI "Textures" menu You should have "Inland - and Ocean Water" textures available.

Now just click on either one of those and You should get the options for saturation, brightness and plankton - play around with these sliders, save Your customized presets (with some darkened and light/greener water for instance) and load it afterwards.

And another general note:

Please remember to tick  "DX10 Optimized" within the "Options Manager" menu and also consider using the DXT1 and DXT5 options available there (left column) as well - and always set Your prefered options in this "Options Manager" GUI-window before loading Your new REX-textures into FSX!

For further information regarding these specific options of REX please feel free to recheck the Rex Essential manual from page 23 onwards.

Hope i could help a bit!