Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 5

Orbx Northern California Tour - Leg 5

Flightplan: NCA Leg 5 - Sky Vector (295 nm / 2.5 hrs)

Starting at Crescent City the route will traverse the Klamath river drainage and Trinity Alps before turning south to Ruth, then southeast over the Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness to Orland in the central Sacramento Valley, finally turning back to the northwest and finishing in Garberville, CA. 

NCA+Leg+5.jpg

Recommended Scenery: Orbx FTX Northern California (NCA) Regional Scenery

Recommended Aircraft: Ant's T-28 Trojan or your favorite aircraft capable of 210+ knts speed)

Time: Saturday April 19, 19:00 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Will it actually be saturday? I showed up at 2pm this past saturday just to find out it was actually friday. lol

spacer.png

Will it actually be saturday? I showed up at 2pm this past saturday just to find out it was actually friday. lol

Yes, It will be Saturday.  :smile:

Last week was Friday because Ron had something special on for Saturday.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Sorry, I can't go to Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness. If I can't say it without my teeth falling out, I ain't going!

Although I suppose I could practise. 

P.S. The 'Something special' turned out a fiasco! I should have said 'Sorry darling, I can't take you for an anniversary dinner, I'm flying' :rolleyes:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Lol I can see the obituary now

" He was a very brave soul indeed. He died attempting to do what he loved most. How the mouse chord got wrapped around his neck we'll never know, but it ended a life too soon."

Watch out for F-18s out of NAS LeMoore on VR-1250/1251 where those routes intersect along your flight path.

Ron... the guy (F/A-18 driver) was using Orbx and ASN.  Hope you have both by saturday.

Leg 4 Narrative

KCEC  Crescent City, CA

Crescent City  Named for the crescent-shaped stretch of sandy beach south of the city, Crescent City had a total population of 7,643 includes inmates at Pelican Bay State Prison.  Crescent City's offshore geography makes it unusually susceptible to tsunamis. Much of the city was destroyed by four tsunami waves generated by the Good Friday Earthquake off Anchorage, Alaska in 1964. More recently, the city's harbor suffered extensive damage and destruction due to tsunamis generated by the 2011 earthquake off Sendai, Japan. Several dozen vessels and many of the docks they were moored to were destroyed as wave cycles related to the tsunamis exceeded 8 feet (2.4 m).

S51 Klamath, CA

The Klamath River  flows 263 miles southwest through Oregon and northern California, cutting through the Cascade Range to empty into the Pacific Ocean.  It drains an extensive watershed of almost 16,000 square miles that stretches from the high desert country of the Great Basin to the temperate rainforest of the Pacific coast.  The first Europeans to enter the Klamath River basin were fur trappers for the Hudson's Bay Company in the 1820s; they established the Siskiyou Trail along the Klamath and Trinity rivers into the Sacramento Valley.

O21 Hoopa, CA

The Hupa (also spelled Hoopa) people migrated from the north into northern California around 1000 CE and settled in Hoopa Valley, California. Their heritage language is Hupa, which is a member of the Athabaskan language family. Their land stretched from the South Fork of the Trinity River to Hoopa Valley, to the Klamath River in California. Their red cedar-planked houses, dugout canoes, basket hats, and many elements of their oral literature identify them with their northern origin; however, some of their customs, such as the use of a sweat house for ceremonies and the manufacture of acorn bread, were adopted from surrounding indigenous peoples of California.

O86 Trinity Center

Trinity Alps – Thompson Peak.  Thompson Peak is the highest Peak in the Trinity Alps Wilderness, a vast assemblage of craggy granite mountains in northwestern California (Trinity Alps Wilderness is the second largest designated wilderness area in California). The Trinity Alps have the distinction of being the only mountain range in the United States that lies entirely below timberline (small trees grow just below the final summit block of Thompson Peak) that contains active glaciers."

O54 Weaverville

Founded in 1850, Weaverville is a historic California Gold Rush town. Nestled at the foot of the current Trinity Alps Wilderness Area, Weaverville was once home to approximately 2,000 Chinese gold miners, and had its own Chinatown.  Weaverville is the home of California's oldest continuously used Chinese temple. The Weaverville Joss House (also called "The Temple of the Forest Beneath the Clouds"), a Taoist temple, was built in 1874 and is California's best preserved example of a Gold Rush-era Chinese place of worship. The temple is now the Weaverville Joss House State Historic Park, and its interior, including an intricately carved wooden altar, can be viewed by visitors.

F62 Hayfork (Touch & Go)

T42 Ruth

Ruth is located in the southern portion of Trinity County and was named after Ruth McKnight, daughter of settlers.  It is located near the headwaters of the Mad River (California) and adjacent to the Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness. Located between the North and South Yolla Bolly Mountains in the as-rugged-as-it-comes headwater country of the Wild and Scenic Middle Fork of the Eel River, Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness ranges in elevation from about 2,000 feet to 8,000 feet. The river crashes wildly through the Wilderness in a deep canyon for approximately six miles, and, combined with sections of the 48 miles of river outside the Wilderness, forms what is arguably California's finest long white-water run. Chamise and manzanita in the lower elevations give way to dense arrays of pine and fir cloaking numerous ridges. Vast grasslands open many of the steep hillsides.

O37 Haigh Field

Haigh Field Airport.  During World War II, the airport was designated as Orland Air Force Auxiliary Field, and was an auxiliary training airfield for Chico Army Airfield, California. Aircraft used at Orland included the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress.

O09 Round Valley

Covelo. Descending into the mountain-rimmed bowl of Round Valley is the small town of Covelo, which lies almost entirely within the boundaries of the Round Valley Indian Reservation.  While Covelo’s population numbers fewer than 1,200, a disproportionate number of residents are artists. Talented locals specialize in media as varied as Japanese textiles, ceramics, photography, painting, sculpture, and Native American beading and basketmaking.

O16 Garberville

Garberville is located on the South Fork of the Eel River, approximately 200 miles north of San Francisco, California, and within a fifteen-minute drive to Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The park contains the Rockefeller Forest, the world's largest remaining contiguous old-growth forest of coast redwoods.  Over 100 of the 137 known trees over 350 feet (110 m) tall—all coast redwoods—occur in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

26aLetj.png

Ron... the guy (F/A-18 driver) was using Orbx and ASN.  Hope you have both by saturday.

I have more Orrbx than you could ever dream about! As for ASN, you'd have to pry Opus out of my cold, dead hands before I'd change!

See ya Saturday. :wink:

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Sorry I won't be able to fly with you guys tomorrow, but I should to be able join next weekend if there's a Leg 6.

Hope you all have a good flight!

Watch out for F-18s out of NAS LeMoore on VR-1250/1251 where those routes intersect along your flight path.

We'll make sure we're well above 1500' AGL. :P

Sorry I won't be able to fly with you guys tomorrow, but I should to be able join next weekend if there's a Leg 6.

Hope you all have a good flight!

We'll miss you Nick.  Don't worry about Leg 6.   I will get Leg 6 up for next weekend.

26aLetj.png

Not good enough Nick. -_-

:biggrin:  Next week then.

Just some pictures from this leg -

Once again, running the valley  :P

Screen_04192014_142610_zps8754b808.jpg

Trying to fit 2 Trojans on 1 runway -

Screen_04192014_151239_zps041c4c84.jpg

A loose formation -

Screen_04192014_151539_zps379495a6.jpg

That Lancair sure is tiny -

Screen_04192014_155006_zps3350d056.jpg

Jeff on final -

Screen_04192014_160822_zpsca6624dd.jpg

Ron going "bouncy - bounce", trying to get'er down after a hot approach.  Just caught the right wingtip & evidence of the second kiss of the Earth.  :lol:

Screen_04192014_160852_zps3b74b9a4.jpg

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap