Sign in to follow this  
rufowler

Yet another question about scenery: UTX+GEX vs FTX Global+Vector

First off, this is my first post and I'm a total newbie to simming, so apologizes in advance.  Just bought FSX a couple of weeks ago and barely know how to fly -- but that's improving. wink.png  There are many scenery options, but it seems like there's a consensus and it basically comes down to two formats/systems:

Ultimate Terrain X + Ground Environment X  vs.  FTX Global + FTX Vector + a landclass layer.

Ok, so maybe there are other viable options out there, but these are the two I've narrowed it down to.  And I know you can mix & match to some extent, but it seems like it makes more sense to stick with one since there will be fewer possible incompatibilities.  Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Lots of people say that the Orbx FTX combo looks the best, especially if you add a landclass layer (which they currently are working on apparently).  Will this supposedly better looking suite of programs be harder to run on my machine?  Basically does it come at a cost of FPM?

2) If I do go the FTX route, will what landclass layer should I buy?  Until they put out their openLC, it looks like basically my options areSceneryTech and Cloud9 XClass.

3) Either way how much of an impact will getting terrain mesh (probably FS Global 2010) impact the visual experience.  There's only so much I can afford right now and I'm not sure if this is something that should just wait.

Fyi, couple of things to consider your advice: I fly mostly in North America, but I think that will change once I start to get more into it; I'm a bit more inclined to prop planes at lower altitudes, but again that might change as well; my computer isn't quite a potato, but it's not a marvel of technology at all (AMD A10-5700 @ 3.5 GHz, 8 GB / Radeon R7-260x, 2 GB, DDR5 / Win 8, x64bit).

Thanks so much for whatever input you can offer.  Like I said, I'm a newbie and am completely overwhelmed by all the many options -- and all the money that I could easily spend.  wink.png 

My recommendation is FTX GLOBAL (textures) coupled with UTX (landclass and vector)

Do you fly outside the US/Canada/Europe? If not, then the 'global' benefit of ORBX VECTOR over the UTX equivalent is not any use to you. Personally I think UTX is a better vector offering than ORBX in terms of how things look

If you're exclusively a Europe flyer like me then FTX Global with UTX Europe is perfect. When ORBX Open LC EU comes out I will disable the lands class feature of UTX and replace it with the ORBX offering, whilst still leaving the vector functionality of UTX enabled, as I am less than convinced with what I've seen of ORBX Vector.

Oh and FS Global mesh is a fantastic enhancement for the whole planet. Makes a big difference. Also worth noting that if you went with ORBX Vector rather than UTX, you have no choice - you will need that mesh.

If it's within budget I recommend the ORBX Global, UTX (whichever regions you fly) and FS Global mesh combo.

The solution proposed by MDF86 is exactly what I've elected to do.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I was going to post the same question today so thanks for thos thread!

Just one more question, can you use FSGlobal Mesh Ultimate with Orbx Global or does it have to be FSGlobal 2010?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAT1036.png

I use FTX Global with UTX Europe and USA. I also use FS Genesis for mesh and their USA landclass. I am skipping Vector but will buy all the OpenLC products. I then will get rid of the FS Genesis US landclass and deactivate the UTX landclass.

Eric 

I am another user of FTX Global + UTX for Europe / North America / Caribbean without FTX Vector and like many others I plan to buy the OpenLC products, if the first one (Europe) proves itself! I don't have a mesh addon for FSX (used FSGenesis for FS9) but it still looks pretty good.

I am of the opinion that if you are going to be doing a lot of low and slow VFR flying, then the FTX/Orbx combination has the edge by a small margin but if you are going to be flying airliners at high levels and just want improved scenery during take-off, approach and landing phases then you might be better with UTX/GEX. Even at low level there is very little to chose between FTX/Orbx and UTX/GEX - both really are great at what they do. The other thing to consider is how capable your computer is - FTX/Orbx tends to be a little more demanding on your computer's resources.

Bill

Thanks for the responses, gang! :)

My recommendation is FTX GLOBAL (textures) coupled with UTX (landclass and vector)

Do you fly outside the US/Canada/Europe? If not, then the 'global' benefit of ORBX VECTOR over the UTX equivalent is not any use to you. Personally I think UTX is a better vector offering than ORBX in terms of how things look

If you're exclusively a Europe flyer like me then FTX Global with UTX Europe is perfect. When ORBX Open LC EU comes out I will disable the lands class feature of UTX and replace it with the ORBX offering, whilst still leaving the vector functionality of UTX enabled, as I am less than convinced with what I've seen of ORBX Vector.

Oh and FS Global mesh is a fantastic enhancement for the whole planet. Makes a big difference. Also worth noting that if you went with ORBX Vector rather than UTX, you have no choice - you will need that mesh.

If it's within budget I recommend the ORBX Global, UTX (whichever regions you fly) and FS Global mesh combo.

Cool.  I guess I liked the idea of sticking to one brand/product line, but it seems like a lot of people are advocating this very combo you mentioned.

If I get UTX primarily for its vector, however, I'd have to get a lot of regions (thus it would be much more expensive if I start flying worldwide), whereas FTX's vector is one global region.  Also, at lease according to their website, FTX is continually updating it and will be coming out w/ improved vector versions somewhat regularly.

One thing though: you said if I went with the all Orbx FTX option, I would need a global mesh.  Why is that?  I was actually thinking of skipping this for the time being regardless of which direction I went in.  Bad idea?

I use FTX Global with UTX Europe and USA. I also use FS Genesis for mesh and their USA landclass. I am skipping Vector but will buy all the OpenLC products. I then will get rid of the FS Genesis US landclass and deactivate the UTX landclass.

Just curious, why would you ditch the FS Genesis terrain mesh when FTX's openLC eventually comes out?  They are still recommending you have a mesh as none of their products deal with that layer.

I am of the opinion that if you are going to be doing a lot of low and slow VFR flying, then the FTX/Orbx combination has the edge by a small margin but if you are going to be flying airliners at high levels and just want improved scenery during take-off, approach and landing phases then you might be better with UTX/GEX. Even at low level there is very little to chose between FTX/Orbx and UTX/GEX - both really are great at what they do. The other thing to consider is how capable your computer is - FTX/Orbx tends to be a little more demanding on your computer's resources.

Thanks, scianor.  Yeah I am, at the moment, more of a low & slow / prop plane type of flyer & like to buzz the scenery kinda low sometimes.  But you brought up one of my biggest concerns: performance between the two formats (or some combo of the formats).

For anyone else reading this:  Do you think there's gonna be a meaningful hit to my performance/FPS in one combo over another?  Thanks!  :)

I never said that. Please re-read what I said. I said I will get rid of the FS Genesis landclass for the US. Not the mesh.

Eric 

Re the mesh - you should check out the ORBX support forum for the full details but my understanding is if you try to use ORBX Vector without a sufficient 3rd party mesh, you will have some very strange looking scenery indeed!

Whereas with UTX you don't need mesh to make the product useable.

However I strongly advocate the addition of a good mesh product, it does make a big difference.

I never said that. Please re-read what I said. I said I will get rid of the FS Genesis landclass for the US. Not the mesh.

Ooops, you're right.  Sorry B777ER.  For some reason I thought FS Genesis was just a mesh terrain layer.  My bad.

Re the mesh - you should check out the ORBX support forum for the full details but my understanding is if you try to use ORBX Vector without a sufficient 3rd party mesh, you will have some very strange looking scenery indeed!

Whereas with UTX you don't need mesh to make the product useable.

However I strongly advocate the addition of a good mesh product, it does make a big difference.

Yeah, looks like they do indeed recommend it. I want to get it too eventually, but would be nice not tot have to spend another $100 (USD) to get things running well.  Thanks!

Do you think there's gonna be a meaningful hit to my performance/FPS in one combo over another?

I can only comment on the performance of my computer which seems quite similar to the spec of yours and I can run the FTX/UTX combination without problems although the frame rates certainly drop in some of the very detailed FTX airport areas (for example Melbourne and Brisbane) and VAS usage tends to be on the high side which can present problems if you are using a resource intensive aircraft such as the PMDG 777 at the same time. With a nicely tuned system however, it is still flyable and smooth even at somewhat lower frame rates and the Orbx/FTX scenery is great at low level!

Bill