Sign in to follow this  
tarere

FSX / ESP licensing to Lockeed Prepar3D totally halted the evolution of flightsim

I'm sorry, but I just don't see any point in berating anyone or gnashing one's teeth over enjoying and  - gasp! - investing in FSX or, for that matter, any electronic game or sim. Given the pace of technology and innovation, our "investment" becomes "obsolete" the moment our "check" is cashed. So what? Enjoy what we've got and be thankful someone...yes, even MS!...developed the damn things to begin with so that we have the option of pretending we can actually fly.

The fact that the military-industrial complex, Austin, and folks I don't even know yet are improving the experience and/or providing alternatives...well, that's just icing on the cake, as it were. Enjoy!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I'm quite sure where to start.

Not like you to get lost for words Gerry. But on this occasion, I understand. :lol:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

...That is why on-line like World of Tanks and EVE and other like have a following.  Can't be pirated, must pay if you "Really" want to play, and the term MORPGG takes center stage....

Except that you don't have to pay to play World of Tanks. It's free to play

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Pc gaming is on the brink of extinction, flight simming is a niche of pc gaming... most of us were born before 1970 and feel that 1990's nostalgia when flight sims were extremely popular..

Painfully wrong, my friend. You pulled that out of your nose, I guarantee it. 

Pc gaming has grown substantially in the last 7 years that I've been involved with it.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Except that you don't have to pay to play World of Tanks. It's free to play

Ahh but you see they give you just enough capability to keep you but not enough to that you can really get ahead, why do a lot of players pay for the ability to double their points?  Because the average player is not going to sit and grind for hours what a premium customer can do in 2 hours of average play time.

Ahh but you see they give you just enough capability to keep you but not enough to that you can really get ahead, why do a lot of players pay for the ability to double their points?  Because the average player is not going to sit and grind for hours what a premium customer can do in 2 hours of average play time.

I don't know, I got about 9000 battles playing mostly for free. Paying is definitely optional when it comes to WoT. Paying does speed up the progression tho

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I'm going flying.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

So I was thinking, here we are all, spring 2014, using an exe program from 2006. The ten years mark is not far ahead.

So your blaming Lockheed the same folks who are pretty much keeping FS alive since x-plane is years behind FSX in graphics.

Edited by n4gix
Please do not quote the entire post when replying!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I was about to respond to the 'pc gaming is dead' bit by pointing out that Star Citizen just reached the 42 million mark in crowdfunding, all for a pc only game that's not expected to release until 2015...

But yeah, probably better to ignore the topic and go back to flying... :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Is the OP even participating in his own thread? If not I see typical troll poster.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If this 'dead horse' is truely dead, I sure wish all the terrific addon dev's would refund my money, then I could buy a 'real' plane!

Jay

Painfully wrong, my friend. You pulled that out of your nose, I guarantee it.

Pc gaming has grown substantially in the last 7 years that I've been involved with it.

True you can now build a pretty awesome gaming rig for what a ps4 or Xbox costs I remember spending $2500 on what was then top on the line stuff p4 processor with hyperthreading this was before they had even introduced. Muticore CPU's the other day I built a systemf for my moms house rental company that would blow that $2500 system out of the water for $300

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Pc gaming is on the brink of extinction, flight simming is a niche of pc gaming... most of us were born before 1970 and feel that 1990's nostalgia when flight sims were extremely popular..

PC gaming is still the largest gaming market on earth next to the latest new trends for mobile devices.

Lewis - A2A Simulations

Don't confuse PC gaming with flight simming, two entirely different things on one and the same platform. Sure, many simmers (like myself) play other games on their PC's but very few PC gamers play flightsims, capiche? PC gaming is thriving, tons of indie and large-budget exclusives are coming out on the platform, that's great! Unfortunately flightsims are left behind a bit because it's such a niché sub-genre. I agree with the OP though, we are stuck with obsolete flight sim platforms being milked dry by third-party developers which is OK for me personally but it could be so much better. Imagine a brand-new (no offense LM and P3D2) flightsim engine being developed, maybe on top of AMD's mantle technology, optimized for multi-core CPU's (yes, even you can come along AMD) and 64-bit. Capable of rendering sh*t-loads of objects at the same time without stutters, OOM's or non of that nonsense ALL the time, you know LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME OUT THERE. Wow! P3D2 has cockpit shadows, really?! I've played games with real-time shadows for 10+ years. But it takes advantage of newer GPU hardware, ok, so I can run P3D2 with my favourite add-ons without having to sit through a slide-show or experience OOM's?....no, wow great stuff really great. That's one of the reasons I'm still on FSX, main reason is all them add-ons I have that probably will never be ported to P3D2. I just can't see the point, also I can't afford to fork out ANOTHER 200+ € on a new GPU in the HOPE that performance will be so much better than FSX. Don't give me the "well, flightsims render the whole world and yadayada...!" argument, FSX and P3D2 renders lego-bricks that consists of 3 polygons each, tops! As soon as you introduce high detailed third-party add-ons, both of them chokes.

Short-medium term looks ok for flight-simming, long-term, it's dead...unless Oculus Rift will give it a renaissance. P3D2 is not the future of flight-simming, it's a diversion, X-Plane is more like a 2 man hobby project than anything else and development is moving at snail-pace. Now if you excuse me I have a flight from Tallinn to Riga in my brand new Just Flight Bae-146 I bought for 3€ (I had just flight points) to catch, BYE!!!

P.S I forgot DCS, development moving too slow but it actually is developing for the future, Nevada map (which has been in development for longer than I have been a father) is looking good together with the new rendering engine PLUS the DCS: MiG-21bis is coming soon (for about 2 years now) and it's looking absolutely dashing. Great stuff actually.....if you're in to shooting stuff down...or up.

Oh I forgot one thing. You know what would really improve our hobby and make things a lot easier on us users and consumers? A Steam-like service for ALL them third-party add-ons. Personally, I hate having to keep track of log-ins for all those different e-shops, serial numbers, updates that has to be downloaded manually, keeping backups of all those .exe files etc. etc. etc. Imagine if we had a Steam-like client, where AAAALLLLLLL the third-party developers would publish their stuff with auto updates, auto installs/uninstalls etc. I don't care who the middle-man is or how much their charging the devs, I just want convenience....and more free space on my backup drive.

Don't confuse PC gaming with flight simming, two entirely different things on one and the same platform.

Another mass of assumption on how the FS world and industry works. Seriously guys whilst general chit chat is fun it can also be awfully annoying when its ill informed and mostly guess work.

In summary.

Is MS FSX going to fade away eventually; YES

Is Flight simulation hobby and commercial simulation dead because of this; NO

Edited by n4gix
Remove rediculously excessive quote...

Lewis - A2A Simulations