Sign in to follow this  
s0cks

Why does Scenery Complexity have such a big impact?

For me, in KSEA*, the difference between Scenery Complexity @ None/Very Sparse compared to Normal (or higher) is huge. A drop from 50-60fps down to 20 or less (especially when you take off and the cities CDB comes into view). I just don't understand how a few, almost rectangular, buildings have such a huge impact on frames. I can see that my CPU is the bottleneck here, though I would have expected scenery to be offloaded to the GPU.

I hope this is an area they can optimize as this is what ruins urban flight for me. I'm almost thinking about upgrading just to get acceptable performance over cities.

*Orbx PNW

S0cks, I tend to agree. There must be something special coding-related about ORBX KSEA and the Seattle area in general  There are similar areas (like Vancouver or Sydney) with at least as much autogen and custom buildings as Seattle performing  much better. Plus  PNW KSEA Airport is in no way exceptional compared to, say, FSDT CYVR or KLAX.

Also, an area in downtown Seattle (behind the Space Needle) is pretty much the only area where I managed to create blurries in Prepar3d2.2 despite proper affinity settings so far.

I doubt, though, ORBX will recode this anytime soon, as they've got their hands full for the foreseeable future with more urgent things. Presumably, we'll have to live with it for now.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks guys. So it may just be an Orbx issue. I will turn off Orbx tonight and see if there is much difference. If so then I'll just have to avoid those areas for now. I'm waiting for their New Zealand scenery to be made P3Dv2 compatible as it's my home country and the cities here are relatively small :)

In my (not unbiased) opinion, the two NZs are the best region sceneries they ever made. Plus they sport great performance. Eagerly awaiting them, too.

Regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

After updating to 2.2, this was the first area I loaded to test fly. I had not even reinstalled orbx but I remember the terrain files were already there.... and.... I was able to blaze through without a hint of a blurry! After I reinstalled pnw, the blurries came back forcing me to adjust my affinity setting. Now it's under control, but it remains one of the most performance intensive areas to fly. I am curious as to what might be the cause....

Using AffinityMask=15 fixed blurries for me, but the performance is the main issue. Landing and taking off at 14-18fps is painful. I wonder if ORBX have mentioned anything on their forums. I'll go and have a nosey.

Using AffinityMask=15 fixed blurries for me, but the performance is the main issue. Landing and taking off at 14-18fps is painful. I wonder if ORBX have mentioned anything on their forums. I'll go and have a nosey.

hmm , AF=15 does issues to the performance ? will try again without it then , thanks

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Turning off ORBX gave me a 10fps boost, but I don't know if this is just because ORBX has more complex scenery rather than something being inherently wrong with it. Didn't have time to test further as it was quiz night at the pub!

I believe it is the scenery. I tested before and after the pnw install and the performance hit is pretty huge. The good news is that sli makes a big difference.

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png