Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

How's the navdata in Prepar3D?

Hi all,

How's the navdata in Prepar3D.  Up to date? 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Exactly as in FSX sadly.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

For me, this is one of the priority aspect to update in Prepar3d for all users that doesn't fly tubeliner where it is possible to update the navdata for the fms.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

To my understanding, Lockheed Martin have no plans to change navdata. It's not on its "road map" (just as Microsoft never did)  simply because third-parties can supply it.

That'

Exactly as in FSX sadly.

That's awful.  They could at least make the core data updatable.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

That's awful.  They could at least make the core data updatable.

Actually no, they cannot...

...at least, not without creating a completely new, fully integrated database solution, as well as coming up with a new method by which airport facilities are generated. It would also be very, very costly both in terms of licensing new data, and the time investment in coding, debugging and testing such a radical change.

Such a task could be compared to you having to re-shelve all of the books of the NY Public Library after an earthquake had dumped them all off the shelves into a tumbled, jumbled mess and get them 100% correctly placed... :unknw:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That website mentioned made my FS totally up to date. There's not much more I need now! I recommend to anyone. The only thing lacking is SID, STAR, etc

Alexis Mefano

Such a task could be compared to you having to re-shelve all of the books of the NY Public Library after an earthquake had dumped them all off the shelves into a tumbled, jumbled mess and get them 100% correctly placed... :unknw:

So what you're saying, is that they might as well go 64-bit at the same time then.

Right ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

So what you're saying, is that they might as well go 64-bit at the same time then.

Right ?

Nice try Brian...LOL.

Actually no, they cannot...

...at least, not without creating a completely new, fully integrated database solution, as well as coming up with a new method by which airport facilities are generated. It would also be very, very costly both in terms of licensing new data, and the time investment in coding, debugging and testing such a radical change.

Such a task could be compared to you having to re-shelve all of the books of the NY Public Library after an earthquake had dumped them all off the shelves into a tumbled, jumbled mess and get them 100% correctly placed...

Hi Bill,

You're saying that they can't create the new data in the format that Microsoft created it?  Given that Alexis got his data updated by some website it seems doable that LM could do the same, no? (Haven't tried it yet.)  Or, are you saying that they can't provide a Navigraph interface like aircraft developers are doing?  (I'd, actually, prefer the latter solution if the data could be shared by all add-ons.)

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

What I'm saying that even with Herve Sors' sort-of-update, nothing is done to the airport facilities themselves, so that ILS/Loc frequencies aren't updated, runway configurations remain the same, and so forth. It is at best an incomplete bandaid solution.

I'm also saying that without changing the current "system" (what there is of it and such as it is), it would take a lot of money and a ton of time just to get the entire world somewhat "up-to-date," knowing fully well that when they were finished with the process it would still not be truly current!

If they were going to bother with this at all, they would need to design and code an entirely new system. One which would allow for using an available database that could be re-issued in cycles such that subscribers could keep their platform updated fully.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If they were going to bother with this at all, they would need to design and code an entirely new system. One which would allow for using an available database that could be re-issued in cycles such that subscribers could keep their platform updated fully.

I see.  Well, I guess the thing someone has to think about is how long they can, practically, keep that old data without updating it.  

Gregg Seipp

What I'm saying that even with Herve Sors' sort-of-update, nothing is done to the airport facilities themselves, so that ILS/Loc frequencies aren't updated, runway configurations remain the same, and so forth. It is at best an incomplete bandaid solution.

I'm also saying that without changing the current "system" (what there is of it and such as it is), it would take a lot of money and a ton of time just to get the entire world somewhat "up-to-date," knowing fully well that when they were finished with the process it would still not be truly current!

But it is possible to change some airport facilities using a tool provided by Herve. And most important you can update the core apx files. I have done it at several airports when I became aware that LOC/VOR frequencies have changed. At least it worked in FSX. This method is also useful to avoid conflicts with addon airports.

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

You're saying that they can't create the new data in the format that Microsoft created it?

Of course they could create the nave data in the some way as Microsoft by collecting up-to-date for all airports and navaids etc. writing the data in .XML files and then compiling the .BGL as scenery files. The instructions are explained in given in the Compiling BGL section of the SDK for anyone to use. They could develop an new way of presenting the data. The real-data is published monthly and so would be out-of-data.

The question is why should Lockheed Martin do it do it - when those who want it can do for then themselves?

The question is why should Lockheed Martin do it do it - when those who want it can do for then themselves?

Well, it would be nice if they would.  The way you find out something's wrong is by flying...which is a bit crappy.  I just flew the ILS into KSAN and the frequency was wrong...sigh...had to look it up in FSX while trying to keep my situational awareness.  Never mind the fact that I don't have any idea how to update this stuff.

Gregg Seipp