Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

777 VC shadows

Hi,

Not expecting an official response since this is related to DX10.    So, just departed out of  EGNX enroute to OBBI. VC shadows look amazing except for one thing, they vanish if you are looking directly forward.  

Just want to confirm others are seeing this behavior?  Not a massive problem, when looking around with TrackIR the shadows come back.  Have tried other aircraft and they all work as expected.

Anyone have a solution?

Cheers 

Rob Prest

when looking around with TrackIR the shadows come back.

Rob, I would get hold of Steve on that one, seems like it could be TIR related, but it could also mean a setting does not agree with TIR use ?

I suppose the way to test would be to disable TIR, but as I don't have TIR I cannot test it for you.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi Julian,

No it doesn't have anything to do with TrackIR.  I think it is just the way the PMDG 777 VC is designed.  The shadows work correctly with all the other addon's I have tested.   

The VC shadows work on the 777, they only vanish when looking exactly straight ahead at the PFD.   

So do you have shadows switched on with the 777?

Cheers

Rob Prest

Hi Julian,

No it doesn't have anything to do with TrackIR.  I think it is just the way the PMDG 777 VC is designed.  The shadows work correctly with all the other addon's I have tested.   

The VC shadows work on the 777, they only vanish when looking exactly straight ahead at the PFD.   

So do you have shadows switched on with the 777?

Cheers

Hi Rob,

Yes i do. I will check again, been flying the NGX for the last couple of weeks, and just to make sure the info I give is accurate. I will post my settings as well. Won't be long.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Thanks, I am also trying various settings with the DX10 shader options.

Edit - I have kind of got it working now by removing the tick in 'force VC Walls'  (general shader options)  will need to experiment more.

Rob Prest

Thanks, I am also trying various settings with the DX10 shader options.

Edit - I have kind of got it working now by removing the tick in 'force VC Walls'  (general shader options)  will need to experiment more.

Keep me posted Rob. Waiting for my defrag to finish, but if I recall, force VC walls is unticked in my settings. I also found there is a setting right side top that Steve mentioned should be turned off.

Here is my settings Rob.

Improved Shadows=enabled                  Reduced falloff with angle = disabled

Toned Shadows= Enabled                      Reduce Fade = enabled

HD Jet Shadows = Enabled                     Enable shadow boost = 50%

Force VC Walls = Enabled ( Must Be Enabled)

Surface bias small  =0.04

Surface bias (Large) = Default

Contrast =3rd notch from the left

Edit: With Force VC Walls disabled, you won't get the benefits of 2.1. To see what i mean, place the 777 at gate 21 KLAX select day, Look @ FO seat and you will see only the buttons of the overhead casting shadows. So, Force must be on.

However, what i did notice, was the shadows on the cockpit  and PFD etc  is not very pronounced and faint. So  I will test some more. I noticed shadows above the CDU are very weak. I'll be back.

Edit #2: Have adjusted settings above to what I think is a big improvement. Results will vary, but look OK my end.

You need to adjust the surface bias levels (big n small )  to find the sweet spot.

There seems to be a limitation in regard to shadows on the MCP and PFD etc If you compare the shadows on the AS airbus ext. I remember Steve saying that VC shadows on the T7 is not 100%. . Might have to live with those limitations.

Adjusting the bias levels does help overall, but not in regard to full functionality.

Hi Julian,

I did some further research last night. You are correct about the limitation, only partial cockpit shadows work due to the way the 777 overhead was designed.  I can live with it :) 

Thanks for your help, those settings look very good.

Rob Prest

Hi Julian,

I did some further research last night. You are correct about the limitation, only partial cockpit shadows work due to the way the 777 overhead was designed.  I can live with it :) 

Thanks for your help, those settings look very good.

Great Rob. At least it has some shadows :lol:

Quick update - I just installed all the Emirates liveries, now the VC shadows work perfectly!  I think my issue was due to disabling the external model. 

It would seem the info I read about limited shadows is outdated info :)

Rob Prest

Quick update - I just installed all the Emirates liveries, now the VC shadows work perfectly!  I think my issue was due to disabling the external model. 

It would seem the info I read about limited shadows is outdated info :)

Phew, that is great Rob. i could not work out why you were getting different results. :lol:

Can you guys get NGX VC shadows? and would you mind posting some screens of the 777 with shadows

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Can you guys get NGX VC shadows? and would you mind posting some screens of the 777 with shadows

It is a no go for the NGX Ron. The way the VC walls were designed. As for a screenshot, maybe Rob could oblige as Avsim now requires a third party web site to post shots. I have not set one up yet.