Sign in to follow this  
brucek

P3D v2.2 with Active Sky Next- Historical weather

I was watching CNN at lunch yesterday (April 15) and saw rain and wind in Boston (good IFR wx...).  Last night I was in P3D v2.2 and ASN, and did the historical weather, April 15, 1800Z, at KBOS.  I noted that my fps went down to around 4,  the sim was unusable.  Quit ASN, the wx reverted to default in P3D, and frames were restored.

I'm only running a GTX 580 (3GB), so that may be a part of the issue-  I assume this is rain and/or wind,  I ran out of time but meant to manually invoke this same wx in P3D and confirm it's not something specific to ASN...

Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Bruce

I had the same thing: as soon as it rains with ASN, FPS drop dramatically. Like you I'm not sure whether it is specific to ASN or a general P3D problem.

Its P3d. It can't handle rain and clouds. They simply put p3d to a crawl regardless of weather engine.

It's a known problem for all of us and can only be fixed in a future update, but for now, it requires a GTX Titan to run proper IFR/nasty weather smoothly.

You'll have to reduce cloud distance to lowest possible and limit cloud layers to 2. :(

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Its P3d. It can't handle rain and clouds. They simply put p3d to a crawl regardless of weather engine.

It's a known problem for all of us and can only be fixed in a future update, but for now, it requires a GTX Titan to run proper IFR/nasty weather smoothly.

You'll have to reduce cloud distance to lowest possible and limit cloud layers to 2. :(

This is correct. As a third step, you may want to also consider turning off HDR when in rainy conditions.

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

If you have cloud shadows ON during heavy weather it will bring your system to a crawl. Turning cloud shadows off can improve things. But it is a P3D issue not ASN nor any other weather program.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Rain and many Cloud layers will decrease fps considerably in P3DV2.2 with Cloud shadows on.  I did a similar flight last night out of 11S (washington) using ASN - 15-19 fps.  So I loaded up LM's "overcast" weather and 30-40 fps.  But it's not just ASN, FSGRW, OpusFSX all exhibit the same behavior.

Other options to help with performance:

1. limit cloud layers.  ASN default is 5 ... I have mine set to 3

2. set cloud draw distance lower (default is 90, I use 80)

3. uncheck "Enhance overcast conditions"

If you want clouds, cloud shadows, and good performance what I've found that works for me (if you do custom weather):

1. Stick to 3 layers max 

2. Cloud layer base and tops limit to 1000 feet or less  ... i.e. Overcast (Cumulus), assuming 0 sea level, set base to 500 and top to 1500

3. The deeper you make the layer the worse on performance, try to keep each layer depth between 1000-2000 feet - doesn't matter where you start 10,000 - 11,000, or 20,000 - 21,000 so long as you keep the cloud depth "thin" your performance will not suffer.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Rob. 

EDIT: hopefully the ASN, FSGRW, OpusFSX developers have discovered this also, and will provide an option to "optimize" for cloud shadow usage where they can massage the cloud depths for those that don't mind trading a little "reality" for performance.

I have a 660 GTX and it loaded that up just fine. No frame rate loss at all.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks for the helpful ideas.... much appreciated...

Bruce.

I don't have cloud shadows turned on, and I am experiencing absolutely no issues with ASN and heavy weather. I have increased the number of cloud layers and draw distance considerably. These are the best IMC conditions I've ever flown in. I've not tried heavy weather with cloud shadows enabled because I was experiencing such a performance drop with them enabled in light weather.

The cloud shadows definitely seem to be killing a lot of people's performance, but hopefully something like sli or high amounts of VRAM can address this.

I had to read that twice before realising it was the same sentences written twice. I had to read that twice before realising it was the same sentences written twice. :lol:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I had to read that twice before realising it was the same sentences written twice. I had to read that twice before realising it was the same sentences written twice. :lol:

The dangers of mobile posting!  :P