Sign in to follow this  
tkellogg

Installing Orbx into P3D in a different drive than Windows OS

Please bear with me as I am not sure this is the best place to ask this question. I have an SSD where I have loaded my Windows 7 operating system. Based upon Nickn's guide for FSX I am applying the same advice in installing P3D. For this reason I am installing P3D on a separate HDD and not on the same SSD where my operating system is located. I have P3D working so far with TrackIR. However I am unable to load FTX Global. During the installation it does not ask to browse to the location of where you wish to install the software as some software does, rather it defaults to the C:\Program Filesx86. My P3D software is not on the C drive so I am unable to install the Orbx software into P3D on the same drive as the rest of my flight sim software. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it? Obviously I can reinstall all my flight simulation software back on the c drive but that is not what I want to do as I believe my setup will maximize performance. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

G'day,

You do not say which version of P3D you have installed. If v2.2 then the download FTX Global version you need will is OrbxFTXGlobal110 AND OrbxFTXGlobal120. When you run FTXG 110 you will be asked to select FSX or P3D. Next run the upgrade FTXG 120 and you will be asked to select between FS, P3D and P3D Version 2.

In each case the installer will check your registry for the correct drive. I have my P3D v1.4 installed on the G:\ drive and P3D v2.2 installed on the E:\ drive. The Orbx installer finds them without a problem.

Mac

Thanks. I thought I deleted P3D version 2.2 from my c drive after installing on my e drive. It sounds like P3D is still on my c drive. I will check after work today. Thanks again.

It is far safer to do a complete uninstall of P3D v2.2 in the OpSys Control Panel and then reinstall and reactivate the program. Any other method of moving between drives can lead to all sorts of unforseen problems.

Mac

Thanks. Sure enough it was still on my c drive. Did an uninstal on drive cl and reinstalled in drive e. All is well now.