Sign in to follow this  
zephyrru

as not English native speaker. we wish

hi :lol:

now I am watching lesson3/10.

so. when I watched, I realized one thing.

I am Japanese who cant listen english very well. nut not too bad.

if there were speaking captions or more text on video. or text book. like a script.

it would be so nice.

but it was impressive videos :wub:

Although the first speaker speaks very clearly, even fluent English speakers  will sometimes have difficulty with the second one (the pilot I think). He has the occasional British habit of lowering the frequency and volume of the speech as ne nears the end of a sentence to finish in a whisper as if he has run out of air, in addition to speeding up at the end of the sentence. Good series though, and not too expensive. I will make a few additional comments on the other thread.

Henri

Henri Arsenault

He has the occasional British habit of lowering the frequency and volume of the speech as ne nears the end of a sentence to finish in a whisper as if he has run out of air, in addition to speeding up at the end of the sentence.

There is an irony in that coming from a French speaker, considering how many consonants and vowells you don't voice at all in that language!

(Joke   :wink: ).

Joking apart, I think what you are describing is not a 'habit' but in fact just part of the dialect.   The UK has very diverse accents and dialects and I would certainly rather have someone speaking in their natural accent than a 'queens english' over-pronounced "voice over" style.

I think the guys could speak a little slower in the vids (which has been widely fed back, and they've said they will slwo down the speech on future vids), but criticizing the guys for talking in what is their own accent is a little harsh IMHO.

Anyone who does not speak English as a first language is likely to find it hard to pick up every word someone is speaking, regardless of their accent or dialect.

The guy is a real pilot, and comes with all of that knowledge and experience he is sharing with us - presumably he was recruited on that basis, and not on his regional accent.

So I think the key is - slowing down the speech - not over analyzing speech 'habits'.

Just my 0.2p