Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

New 5m mesh for entire USA...

Was wondering if any simmer out there has tried that new OFX Simulations - USA Mega Mesh for FSX?   If so, any spikes, holes, airport platforms or valleys?  Pretty impressive price for the entire USA at 5m but could not detect much difference between my 38m and this.  

thx,

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Got a link? I am using FS Genesis mesh right now and I think it is 19m for the USA?

Eric 

Holy cow. 5m for the entire US. That download has got to be huge. I've got a few 10m meshes for small countries, and they are massive in size.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

Hmm, I can't help thinking it would bring a lot of elevation issues, especially for those who use Orbx sceneries...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

5 m mesh resolution is probably overkill for terrain that is not mountainous. To quote the PILOT'S! website:

It is NOT the resolution in meters which is responsible for the quality of a mesh scenery, but ONLY the quality of the source data, actually the measurement procedure. 

Got a link? I am using FS Genesis mesh right now and I think it is 19m for the USA?

Since you brought it up, PILOT'S! FS Global 2010 is also 19 m for the US and Canada (LOD11), but is 9 m (LOD12) for the SW USA and Hawaii:

http://www.fsglobal2010.com/fsglobal2010/indexA.htm

PILOT'S! individual mesh products seem to be LOD12 and LOD13 for mountainous areas, depending on the availability of high quality DEM data.

Man, that Pilot's website is hard to follow.  Can't find any detailed info on it or even a price.  I've been using FSGenesis 38m and has worked well for me yet with the occasional airport plateaus.  FSG was fixing airports way back when but I am sure that stopped after he sold the company. 

Holy cow. 5m for the entire US. That download has got to be huge. I've got a few 10m meshes for small countries, and they are massive in size.

I have 5m mesh for California, it's 3.25gb! I have 5m mesh for Arizona, it's 2.31gb. I have 10m for the U.S., it's 11+gb.

How did this developer fit all of the 48 states into 3gb?

Chainsawz,  is that your own created mesh or payware?  You feel it's worth it or does it add a bunch of airport anomalies?

I have 5m mesh for California, it's 3.25gb! I have 5m mesh for Arizona, it's 2.31gb. I have 10m for the U.S., it's 11+gb.

How did this developer fit all of the 48 states into 3gb?

because they dont include the entire USA, they just include "areas"..Grand Canyon, Rockies etc with that Mesh...they're BSing us .

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

because they dont include the entire USA, they just include "areas"..Grand Canyon, Rockies etc with that Mesh...they're BSing us .

How do you know?

Chainsawz,  is that your own created mesh or payware?  You feel it's worth it or does it add a bunch of airport anomalies?

The CA/AZ  5m was payware. The other is self-made.

Same developer sells "10m" for Central and South America, but it's less than 2gb in size!!! The freeware 76m that's available for SoAmerica is 2++gb in size.

Some thing with this developer isn't right?!?

I can't help but think what the 5m mesh isn't going to do for frame rates on lower and mid-tier computers?

I wonder if that mesh is heavily compressed, that would explain small file size but would also cause the actual mesh quality to be way lower, even if source data was 5m... 

Here is what the website states:

OFX USA Mega Mesh provides you with new, realistic, 5m-precision mesh of the USA covering the complete 9.826.675 km² (3.794.101 square miles) of the country.

Either you have it wrong or they are misrepresenting the product. If they are misrepresenting the product then that needs to be corrected. If you know for a fact that the entire US is not included, then please state so here and how you know that.