Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

New to Prepared3D...which version to buy?

hi guys.  After many, many years of daily simming with FS2004,  I have elected to build a completely new PC sim set up.   Having purchased a new 64 bit win 8.1 Lenovo X510, I am now ready to migrate to a new sim platform.   I have FSX Gold edition but am considering moving up to P3D because its a platform still in active development.

heres my question though.   I note from the LM site that there are several versions and pricing options for P3D.  Im somewhat confused as to which to get.   I am not a real world pilot, but do take my simming very seriously and have for years.   I fly procedurally the way a RW pilot might.  Not as a game.   I am not a developer, though have in the past been a regular contributor to repaints and new skins, etc for aircraft.   

What version is best for me?  Can I get away with the academic version or do I need the pro version?

Thanks
Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

That's between you and Lockheed-Martin and only they can care one way or the other what choice you make.

This topic should now be locked.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

You can buy academic or pro but note that the academic license does have a small watermark on the screen.  I don't have P3D but I do know that this as been an issue for some who prefer not to see it.  I think if you search these forums you can see screenshots of it.  Another option you can consider is pay monthly for a few months to make sure it is right for you.....smaller investment until you are sure.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Can I get away with the academic version

Simple, Are you a student?

maybe I should rephrase my question... which version do you use?  

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Eric,

If you have a search both on this forum and the official P3D forum you'll see this question has been asked many times, usually resulting in copious quantities of mental gymnastics and armchair lawyering. The end result is usually the same - thread gets locked.

Bottom line is whatever license you choose is between you, your conscience, and Lockheed.

Whether or not you choose academic is well, academic.... he he he I know WORDS!

There are only three possibilities for you to buy (unless you have pockets so deep that cost is irrelevant)...

You've already ruled out the Developer version.  So, are you a student at undergrad level or less?  Or not?

Don't answer here... it doesn't matter to us.  Buy the one that's appropriate for you.  The licensing terms on LM's website are as clear as they need to be (and are going to get).