Sign in to follow this  
alulekk

X-Plane - Proposed Build - Input Please

Hi all.

Looking to do a build specifically for X-Plane.

Cost really no issue, but just looking to max out where it makes sense specifically for X-Plane.

Was told that higher end processors won't really do much (even things like x79 i7's apparently)

I'm also open to running this on any of the OS choices if anyone has any input there.

Thanks in advance for any/all thoughts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ NCIX US) 

Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($62.74 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($122.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($300.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($454.00 @ Amazon) 

Video: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($699.99 @ Micro Center) 

Case: Silverstone FT03B MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($166.80 @ Amazon) 

Power: Silverstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($132.37 @ TigerDirect) 

I like it. XP10 eats video ram for breakfast so I think I'd get a gtx770 (or wait for the 6GB 780's to come out ).

32GB may be a bit overkill but ram is pretty cheap so meh!

People will whine and say your PSU isn't good enough. I think it will be plenty. I ran a benchmark on my system (4 HDD 1 SSD) and under CPU and GPU load (I have gtx570) system peaked at 360w. Just be sure the 12v rail on that PSU can satisfy the power requirements of the 780 ti. PSU needs at least 42A on the 12v rail. If your PSU has multiple rails NOTE they do not just add up... There's an equation .... Edit: your proposed PSU is fine 54A.

However for that money I'd get a Seasonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

Also note if you plan on SLI you'll need a more powerful PSU. I've no idea how XP handles SLI.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like it. XP10 eats video ram for breakfast so I think I'd get a gtx770 (or wait for the 6GB 780's to come out ).

32GB may be a bit overkill but ram is pretty cheap so meh!

People will whine and say your PSU isn't good enough. I think it will be plenty. I ran a benchmark on my system (4 HDD 1 SSD) and under CPU and GPU load (I have gtx570) system peaked at 360w. Just be sure the 12v rail on that PSU can satisfy the power requirements of the 780 ti. PSU needs at least 42A on the 12v rail. If your PSU has multiple rails NOTE they do not just add up... There's an equation .

Thanks Ryan.

So would you suggest getting a Titan (or a new Titan Black maybe)?

What about the upgrade to i7-4770k? 

Look at my PC, I have High settings and use 3800MB GRAM! I get to use 4xFSAA though:) With HDR mode on....

Look at my PC, I have High settings and use 3800MB GRAM! I get to use 4xFSAA though:) With HDR mode on....

Hi.  Thanks for your input.

What sort of FPS do you see around busier areas and on approach to an airport with a fair # of objects?

Admittedly my problem is I got exposed to some HDR with a couple notches of AA and 60+fps....

...man it's hard to want anything but that butter smooth high frame rate.  Truly feels immersive.

Naw I'd personally wait for the GTX780 6 GB.

Or if you want to save some cash the GTX770 4GB.

4770K only offers hyper threading and maybe a bit larger cache - again I'm new to XP myself so I'm not sure how these would affect XP

This is a great site to compare CPU: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K

Also keep your expectations realistic ... 60 fps with HDR and MSAA... In big cities with addons.... Forget it lol.. 30 more realistic.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here is a few screen shots I just took for you:- I normally maintain 30FPS (in dense areas with lots of OSM)  as I use 1/2 refresh in Nvidia inspector, makes it smooth as butter! Never really drops below 30FPS either. Sometimes 24-26 if its really heavy cloud etc.... I use Skymaxx Pro, HD mesh v2 and OSM Europe. With carenado addon planes. I also use track IR. 

r2qhbs.png

2hofax5.png

2rwn4h1.png

34e27w1.png

Hope that's useful:)

Ian

Hey, Noel is selling his titan... maybe of use to you?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/439767-wanted-to-buy-or-sell-used-titan-gtx/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |