Sign in to follow this  
744 driver

Skyvector.com

I came accross this fantastic site last night and thought I'd pass it along to you folks: http://skyvector.com/

Great flight planning website with world-wide high and low altitude IFR and sectional charts which you can overlay wind barbs at different altitudes,weather radar images, predicted icing areas, sigmets, NATS and more. You can search for waypoints, intersections, GPS fixes, VOR's etc.

Hope you find it as useful as I have.

Mark Adams, KPWM

Yeah that's an excellent site..I have been recently using it with voxatc for my VFR flights..

Also for users of PFPX flight planner, your route can be directly exported to Skyvector, nice to have a map of your route, as well as the printed routing, gives better situational awareness.

Eugene

Also for users of PFPX flight planner, your route can be directly exported to Skyvector, nice to have a map of your route, as well as the printed routing, gives better situational awareness.

Eugene

Very useful yes, and, if you use ASN as your WX injector, the IR4 overlay will most of the times match the SIGMET properties that ASN will inject when you fly through active SIGMET areas. I use Skyvector and the map in ASN for weather avoidance. As real as it gets :)

23.png

Very useful yes, and, if you use ASN as your WX injector, the IR4 overlay will most of the times match the SIGMET properties that ASN will inject when you fly through active SIGMET areas. I use Skyvector and the map in ASN for weather avoidance. As real as it gets :)

Ya the Skyvector + PFPX makes it even better.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Can we print from skyvector?

No, not as such, although it's always possible to grab screen shots in windows and print them. But even a modest flight would need quite a few sheets of paper to cover the route adequately at a readable scale. The beauty of SkyVector is it can zoom in/out, slide it about and have your tracks/distances/nav aid frequencies all available instantly, but minimised if not required.

Actually a lot more useful than lots of paper. I have mine displayed on a second screen usually. I find it especially useful when flying retro-jets like Capt Sim 727/707 or basic GA aircraft, on non RNAV routes. Not only is it useful to plan the route just using VOR's/NDB's and intersections defined by Nav aids, but also as a good reference as to where I actually am, as using a GPS would spoil the authenticity of the flight.

Eugene 

I have used this site for quite a while and I recommend this free online worldwide chart to everybody.

Mihkel Kiil

Yep, great site! I sometimes build my entire flight plan manually on skyvector and then put it into Simbrief to verify it and get the papers.