Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Light versions to suite the Academic version / License of P3D...

Before my original post get's a lot of misinterpretation from some users, the main idea is - why not being able to have also Academic versions of add-ons to suite the Academic version of P3D?

Those users entitled to buy the Academic version of this sim could then  be able to use the sophisticated add-ons sold for the FSX platform, like the PMDG fleet, and other products.

Professional versions of this products could still exist, for those with the professional version, but why not a lighter version, probably without any additional cost for users of the FSX version.

I do not own P3Dv2, as well as I am not using FSX these days, but I miss being able to use my NGX and 777 from PMDG, and even a couple of FLIGHT1 add-ons.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I can't help but think that you're asking for two completely different things here?

Ignoring the products that cannot currently be used with P3D V1/2 for any technical reason i.e. lighting systems and what-not; you're left with the likes of PMDG and Flight1. The issue here is not the fact that the products aren't compatible, it's that their's and LM's legal user agreements prohibit them from being used on a non-entertainment program, in this case P3D. So, it's not that there needs to be a 'professional' and 'light' versions of these, after all who would want a simplified NGX (which is what you seem to be implying), but that instead they need to come to an agreement on the terms of their EULA. Something which PMDG is currently doing.

As for the 'simplified' versions of these, like I said above, I don't really see what you're trying to imply? Are you asking for two different versions of the EULA but with the same product marketed as 'Pro' and 'Academic' and charging more for the pro one despite it being exactly the same or the same product but with different functionality depending on the version?

Toby,

it's actulally two version I was thinking about.

I think I understand, and I am not discussing that here, the EULAs, both on P3D and on some add-ons, and I do understand that should a 3pd decide to make their add-ons available for P3D, they will probably have to have a "professional" version, whatever that means.

I guess their P3D versions will come with additional features, like an instructor station module, more in depth systems simulation, MCC features, etc... But, there being an Academic version of the simulator, meant to be used by students, I think a lighter version of the product could be made available for those who are entitled to get that version.

Of course in my original post I was joking, pretending I was, at the age of 49, a highschool student at the 12th grade :-)  but there are actually students using P3D with the Academic license, and I guess they will not be able to pay a lot more for their add-ons. Light versions of those add-ons could probaly suite them perfectly, and still allow them to experience the complex sysytems and their operation on higher airliners, like those simulated in, for instance, PMDG add-ons, but not only ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

That is exactly what PMDG are trying to do.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426978-pmdgs-p3d-development-status-fact-thread-updated-25nov13/

Licensing and Use:

===============

Unlike products developed on the Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) platform, products on the P3D platform will be offered with a range of licensing options.  These options will initially include only a General Study, Education/Academic-STEM and Familiarization licensing model but will eventually expand to include licensing models to cover training, classroom training and training center/airline site license versions.

Customer Licensing for General and Personal Training licenses will be handled directly through PMDG's current eCommerce portal.  All other licensing options will be handled on customer-specific non-public portals.

Costs for licensing of P3D based products will vary based upon the license model chosen and the desired use.  This will enable PMDG customers to choose a range of cost options based upon their needs and license requirements, from Home Entertainment (using FSX) up through PMDG Certified Training Solutions customized for specific airline customers.

mad dog,

thx for those quotes!  I wasn't really aware of those initiatives by PMDG!

Main Simulation Rig:

Toby,

it's actulally two version I was thinking about.

I think I understand, and I am not discussing that here, the EULAs, both on P3D and on some add-ons, and I do understand that should a 3pd decide to make their add-ons available for P3D, they will probably have to have a "professional" version, whatever that means.

I guess their P3D versions will come with additional features, like an instructor station module, more in depth systems simulation, MCC features, etc... But, there being an Academic version of the simulator, meant to be used by students, I think a lighter version of the product could be made available for those who are entitled to get that version.

Of course in my original post I was joking, pretending I was, at the age of 49, a highschool student at the 12th grade :-)  but there are actually students using P3D with the Academic license, and I guess they will not be able to pay a lot more for their add-ons. Light versions of those add-ons could probaly suite them perfectly, and still allow them to experience the complex sysytems and their operation on higher airliners, like those simulated in, for instance, PMDG add-ons, but not only ...

I couldn't agree more about the EULA; it's something worth avoiding talking about like a bad disease!

Thank you for clarifying though and I must admit that I do agree with your train of thought. It seems that some other companies are also following suite with this idea such as Majestic Software for example who have split the Q400 program into three separate categories (both in pricing and functionality) to cater for the groups you mentioned.

The whole notion of Prepar3d has got me thinking that the shift into a learning simulator (P3D) as opposed to an entertainment platform (FS9/FSX) that we may start to see more complex addons such with the likes of PMDG, A2A and Majestic. Instead of some of quite honestly half-a***d products that just seem to disappoint those, such as myself and countless others, including you perhaps, who like something that works like the real thing. It's an exciting future for sure.