Sign in to follow this  
loge

Flashing vertical lines

I frequently get flashing vertical lines in P3D 2.2 when under high GPU load, especially with cloud shadows enabled.  They often appear immediately after panning the view, and only stay there for a fraction of a second, so I can't take a screenshot.  I started seeing this problem after upgrading to 2.2 and enabling cloud shadows.

I initially thought it might be a problem with my GPU (a GTX670), but since I was about to upgrade it, I didn't spend much time investigating.  I have now upgraded to a Titan Black (not overclocked), and still have the same problem: the fact that it affected two cards, and doesn't appear when I run GPU benchmarks (Heaven or Furmark), strongly suggests that it's not a faulty GPU.  I also think it's unlikely to be a power supply problem (which is 750W btw), because the Titan uses much more power than the 670, so surely if my PSU was on the edge with the old card, it would have major problems with the new one, but the card otherwise seems fine, and this problem is no worse than with the old card.

I also don't think it's a driver problem: I am running the 337.5 beta driver now, but saw the problem on an earlier version (331.58) as well.

So, I'm thinking it might be a problem with P3D 2.2 itself.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?  I could raise this on the P3D forum, but thought it's worth seeing if anyone here has any more info, before reporting it.

Regards,

Jacob

Yes, I see this same issue using a 780GTX latest drivers.  I remember screenshots that look like what I am seeing back when many were experimenting with Texture Bandwith Multi  tweaks in FSX.   While a bit annoying it's not crippling.  I also see similar artifacts when the sim begins starts  generating the scenery on initial loading.

RE Thomason Jr.

Yes, I also sometimes experience it with my GTX 780 Ti OC. I think that it should be reported, are you going to raise it with LM?

Typically the flashing vertical lines just mean that you have overloaded your GPU and are getting anomalies.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I see this as well, not very often though so I choose to ignore it. 780 GTX with latest beta drivers.

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Hello. I have an R9 290X and am also seeing the lines in Prepar3D 2.2. I thought it could be an ATI problem since for me at least FSX has been unusable for quite some time due to nasty graphical corruption regarding ATI cards/drivers.

However I started looking around for others with the same problem in Prepar3D and I found nVidia owners have problems as well. So here I am. There are even a few Youtube videos where this glitch is present, but goes seemingly unnoticed by the author.

Here is an example with version 2.1:

-Between 7:28 and 7:29 in the center of the screen.

-Between 7:41 and 7:42 look slightly up and to the right of the center of the screen. Some lines shoot up from what appears to be warehouses to the right of the road.

Disclaimer: This is not my video and I apologize in advance if posting it here is deemed inappropriate for whatever reason.

Looking carefully you'll probably see other instances in the video.

I do believe someone should open a new thread in the Prepar3D support forum. It does take a keen eye to see this issue, but now we have proof that it's not that rare.

Nothing new here. The same thing happens occasionally in FSX. It is caused by a temporary overload of your graphics card or scenery corruption. It is not a bug in either FSX or P3D. Just like the occasional "floating houses".

No point in opening another thread.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I may agree that it's nothing new, but I can see no other program were such a thing would happen and have it not classified as a bug.

I never saw it before V2.2 so I think it's a new thing. My cpu was overloaded in V2.0 and V2.1 but I didn't see these vertical lines.

I'm loving V2.2 but LM might want to look into this to see if anything can be done.

Maybe it's more frequent in V2.2 or more frequent for some but in any case it shouldn't be happening.

My video card is new, I have the latest drivers and I am constantly monitoring it. It stays at around 70-73 deg. Celsius with 1.4 - 2.8 Gb of memory occupied in P3D. In more demanding games, like Crysis 3 or Arma 3 it performs flawlessly.

With the plethora of FSX bugs, we've grown accustomed to reconcile with the smaller ones since there was no fixing them anyway. But now we have a chance to speak up and get these problems fixed.

I frequently get flashing vertical lines in P3D 2.2 when under high GPU load, especially with cloud shadows enabled.  They often appear immediately after panning the view, and only stay there for a fraction of a second, so I can't take a screenshot.  I started seeing this problem after upgrading to 2.2 and enabling cloud shadows.

I initially thought it might be a problem with my GPU (a GTX670), but since I was about to upgrade it, I didn't spend much time investigating.  I have now upgraded to a Titan Black (not overclocked), and still have the same problem: the fact that it affected two cards, and doesn't appear when I run GPU benchmarks (Heaven or Furmark), strongly suggests that it's not a faulty GPU.  I also think it's unlikely to be a power supply problem (which is 750W btw), because the Titan uses much more power than the 670, so surely if my PSU was on the edge with the old card, it would have major problems with the new one, but the card otherwise seems fine, and this problem is no worse than with the old card.

I also don't think it's a driver problem: I am running the 337.5 beta driver now, but saw the problem on an earlier version (331.58) as well.

So, I'm thinking it might be a problem with P3D 2.2 itself.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?  I could raise this on the P3D forum, but thought it's worth seeing if anyone here has any more info, before reporting it.

Regards,

Jacob

Same here, I have this as well since v2.2. You're running the same VGA card/drivers as I. Never saw this prior to v2.2. But then again, I updated my graphics driver the same period as P3Dv2.2

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

I encounter these lines in FSX (sorry for some off topic) with my new GTX780 Ti, but when I switch to window mode these lines do not appear it seems. I thought OK, some day I will transfer to P3D, but it is the same there it appeared!

Try turning your settings down. It really is a hardware problem. The fact that your hardware and settings cause graphic anomalies is not a bug. It is simply fixed - turn down your settings. Check your video temps.

Think of it this way - if you overclock your cpu right to the edge and you get an occasional CTD while running a benchmark - is it a bug in the benchmark

There is also the slight possibility of a corrupt file - you could try a repair install but I doubt that's the cause.

V2.2 puts heavy demands on the GPU if you crank up the settings, especially cloud shadows in heavy overcast you can EASILY swamp the card and get anomalies and degrading FPS.

Vic