Sign in to follow this  
loge

Flashing vertical lines

I was advised to remove 

[bUFFERPOOLS]
Poolsize=0

from .cfg. I have loaded airport where these lines always occurred and they disappeared. It looks like a remedy. But this is in FSX!

I was advised to remove 

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Poolsize=0

from .cfg. I have loaded airport where these lines always occurred and they disappeared. It looks like a remedy. But this is in FSX!

Yeah, FSX would do the same thing using BF=0 ar a limited threshhold when using high levels of Autogen... I believe its the ang spiking, when the load is heavy. BP=0 placed more stress on the GPU as P3D does without any tweaking... I've seen it in v2.0 onwards. I suppose it could be called a bug and is part of the way the engine shows its being stressed, rather than just dropping frames...

BTW loge ... what was your performance like going from a GTX670 to a Titan?.... I cannot afford a Titan, but wonder if there is much to be gained by a GPU upgrage for V2.2.

I made a simple test with everything turned down except autogen buildings. Basically it happens anyway, but after "Dense" it's more and more obvious. Other settings don't seem to affect this issue much if at all.

So as far as I can see it's not a hardware problem, it's not an overloading problem since at those low settings I can get between 60-100 fps. I'd say it's just a glitch that's more apparent on some systems rather than others (like many glitches) for whatever reason.

I hope one of you opens a new thread over at the Prepar3D support forums. I might do it myself if I can find the time.

PS: In a proper application graphics settings should never cause glitches like this, not when otherwise the performance is good. It does happen, yes, but it's rare. What should happen is either poor performance or program hangs or crashes in extreme circumstances.

I don't think it's helpful at all to blame users and suggest turning down settings on systems that are otherwise fine. This may mask the problem but won't fix it.

I tell you what - save yourself some time - do a google search and go through all the various forums for FSX and P3D and look for "spikes" or "graphic spikes" or "vertical lines". You will find literally hundreds of posts over the YEARS all relating to the SAME thing. The graphics are being overloaded, a corrupt file or overheating - PERIOD.

It is NOT a bug. FSX and P3D are designed to make the most of your hardware and, as such at THIS time, there are very few configurations that will run it full out ( if any - don't have any word on the new Titans in SLI yet). If you continue to push your hardware beyond it's capabilities you WILL continue to have problems and LM has and will continue to tell you one thing - adjust your sliders to a realistic setting.

Tune your system and find the best BALANCE that works for you. If you are getting spikes no matter what you do - return your graphics card. It really IS that simple.

When we get stronger hardware down the road, it will go away but by that time P3D will be pushing the limits even further.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

So you know how my system is doing from where you are sitting? When I'm telling you that I'm constantly monitoring my system and that it's all fine then I don't know what I'm saying?

So I'm overloading my system because you say so, not because this can actually be verified with diagnostic tools or other more demanding games. Fair is fair, but when you're presented with evidence and still solely blame the user's hardware then it seems you're not listening and are actually hurting.

How about we do this: we raise this issue on the Prepar3d forums, provide all the necessary feedback and try to find exactly the cause of the problem. To me this looks like the best way to go about things. Much better than constantly blaming the hardware or the users or a certain configuration or whatever.

Several of us are trying to get to the bottom of this and you're not helping. Your input was and still is helpful as long as you don't get tied down into repeating the same thing over and over again without actual proof that that's what's really happening. Please stop and let us figure this out properly.

According to the info you presented, you bet I can diagnose your system from here. You have said absolutely NOTHING different from any of the many posts on this subject through the years.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck and looks like a duck - guess what - it is a duck.

But - if you wish to reinvent the wheel - go for it.

And do please post your revelations for the rest. No matter how you slice it you will find that it relates to stressing your hardware.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for the feedback - reassuring to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I've posted a P3D support topic: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6700#postid-35487

Thought it was worth a try, as I'm seeing this in v2.2 in situations that have pretty good fps - certainly better than I was getting in 2.1, without the artifacts. So while it's unlikely to be a bug per se, there may have been some changes in 2.2 that make it stress the GPU in a different way, and which can perhaps be worked around.

BTW loge ... what was your performance like going from a GTX670 to a Titan?.... I cannot afford a Titan, but wonder if there is much to be gained by a GPU upgrade for V2.2.

I saw a pretty noticeable improvement: my 670 would often struggle in heavy clouds unless I turned down the AA settings, and shadows were only usable in very light weather situations, whereas now I can enable either 4xSGSS AA or cloud shadows (or even both if there aren't too many clouds) while still usually getting 30+ fps in non-CPU bound situations (i.e. outside big cities). It's a little hard to quantify, as I upgraded to v2.2 only a few days before upgrading the GPU, but roughly, a GPU-bound situation that gave me 15-20 fps with the 670 will probably give me 25-35 now. Of course, it doesn't help at all in CPU-bound situations: I have precisely the same fps over Manhattan in fair weather as I used to have (about 20 fps with very/extremely dense autogen and a bit of traffic).

A GTX780 approaches the performance of a Titan Black for less cost, and EVGA have a 6GB version coming out soon, if you want to prepare for a multi-monitor SLI setup in the future (I haven't seen more than 3GB used yet on a standard 1920x1200 setup, so 6GB may not be needed for that).

Regards,

Jacob

I have the same problem. To compensate, I turn down the auto gen building to normal and the spikes disappear. I have a R9 280X card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same issue. Assumed it was a glitch with latest nVidia drivers but I guess it must be v2.2 if AMD users have the same issue. Doesn't really bother me too much, but would be nice to see whatever has caused it since fixed (as v2.1 was fine).

Good job opening a P3D thread. I ran some tests last night and posted my observations there.

I saw a pretty noticeable improvement: my 670 would often struggle in heavy clouds unless I turned down the AA settings, and shadows were only usable in very light weather situations, whereas now I can enable either 4xSGSS AA or cloud shadows (or even both if there aren't too many clouds) while still usually getting 30+ fps in non-CPU bound situations (i.e. outside big cities). It's a little hard to quantify, as I upgraded to v2.2 only a few days before upgrading the GPU, but roughly, a GPU-bound situation that gave me 15-20 fps with the 670 will probably give me 25-35 now. Of course, it doesn't help at all in CPU-bound situations: I have precisely the same fps over Manhattan in fair weather as I used to have (about 20 fps with very/extremely dense autogen and a bit of traffic).

A GTX780 approaches the performance of a Titan Black for less cost, and EVGA have a 6GB version coming out soon, if you want to prepare for a multi-monitor SLI setup in the future (I haven't seen more than 3GB used yet on a standard 1920x1200 setup, so 6GB may not be needed for that).

Thank you for your observations Jacob... if I went for a new card it would be a 780 but I would be more wise to wait and do a full upgrade at a later date rather than chuck a new card into my current set-up, tempting though it is. Most of my flying is more GPU bound, with lots of agn and clouds [hence why I see the odd 'spike'] rather than intense AI traffic and other CPU demanding functions, so I'm sure I would see a noticeable improvement, but I doubt the cost v performance would be worthwhile.

I have the problem too with my 780. Never happened before 2.2, but 2.2 allowed me to set the autogen sliders to very dense rather than dense. Not to mention the cloud shadows.