Sign in to follow this  
rudi0310

Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended rudder does not work

Hi all,

I use it with P3D V2.2 and Saitek Pedals. A Carenado C185 works fine.

It is not possible to 'turn'  the Otter somewhat with the rudder for correct crosswind landing, 

And, for a 2 minute turn I need a bank angle of 15 deg. The Carenado needs 5 deg. Switching the Otter's yaw damper does not help. Rudder Inputs are 'compensate'd within a Second and have no more influence. Sim realism settings should be as outlined from Aerosoft.Taxiing the Otter works fine.

Did I overlook something or is this a problem of the Otter? Anybody who can report that it works?

Cheers

Rudi

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

My videos "Vertx DA62 - in detail - in a nutshell": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDO8_1njznTbsyJKEr3X2g

All my postings and other publications reflect my personal view only

I have all three (Saitek pedals, P3d 2.2 and the Twotter), but unfortunately I can't help you at the moment in confirming that, since I had to disconnect the rudder pedals because they wouldn't fit comfortably under my desk anymore.  If I get a chance this weekend, I'll see if I can reconnect the pedals and test. The only thing that I can suggest in the interim is to switch to controlling the joystick and rudder pedals with FSUIPC.

You might also want to re-check the joystick and pedal settings for both buttons and axes from within P3d. I've noticed that P3d 2.2 sometimes loses it mind with regard to axes settings and puts crazy things in some of the fields. It might not affect the C185, but it might mess up the Twotter.

Many thanks for your comments. Would be nice if you find the time! I do not use FSUIPC so far. I checked the settings several times and hope there is no error. And my other aircraft work with this settings. I never had any problems with my Carenado and RealArSim fleet with FSX and this pedals. But now I will give P3D a try.

I observed the same effect in P3D with lost axes settings. In my case the rudder dead zone gets 34 or something like that from time to time. Which leads to that I taxi as if I would be drunken.

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

My videos "Vertx DA62 - in detail - in a nutshell": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDO8_1njznTbsyJKEr3X2g

Just checked it using FSUIPC4 and it seems to work okay although I didn't do much more than a takeoff and a short flight with the Twin Otter. Unfortunately, it will take too much work for me to disable FSUIPC4 and then add back all the button and axis settings within P3d. Maybe you should post something on the Aerosoft forum and see if anyone else can help you out.

Just tried a quick flight in the Otter.  I have FSUIPC, but have my controls set up in Sim.

I have a CH Pro Throttle, Fighterstick, and Saitek Pedals.  The Twotter responded to all three, just as expected.

Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Thanks to both for their feedback.

It may help if I ask more precise. For what does not work and if it works for you.

The ball for showing skid/slew in the turn and slip indicator, does this ball work? Can you alter its state with the rudder (pedals)? Do you need any rudder inputs for steep turns to get the ball to its correct middle position?

For a landing with crosswind, before touching down it is common to lower the wing which shows into the wind and to turn the aircraft back parallel to the runway using the rudder. Is this rudder action possible?

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

Hi,

do you have some "rudder" axis defined on other devices?

I had problem with a2a c172 rudder with my Saitek pedals. It turned out, that I had also defined "rudder axis" on my X45 throttle, so those two inputs collided with each other.

I have no problems with rudder in Twin Otter. I can push my pedals to do coordinated turn as you wrote.

Today I will check crosswind landing.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1