Sign in to follow this  
Sangam Gupta

4770k vs 4960x

Building a new system for 2.2 going with dual 780ti for sli proof future.

I use UT2 usually with 100% with updated airlines and schedules.

Will going for a 4960x over 4770k help out in fps if both of them are over clocked at 4.5ghz.

I think I saw on the Intel site the 4960x is over 4/3 throughput of the 4770k in floating point, but about three times the cost. :smile:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Go for the 4670k and get a good cooler to overclock it. FSX/P3D likes clock speed more than cores. I would wait as well until mid May when the Intel Haswell refresh comes out since the new chips should run cooler because they improved the thermal material between the CPU and its heatsink. If money doesn't matter then just get whatever high end processor you want.

I'm about ready to start a new build - I've decided to go with the 4820K, 2011 and Asus Deluxe X79 board. Hopefully with the newer architecture, I will be a little more safe for future changes.

770 Classified, 4 gig.....to me, it's just not worth the "ti's" price - price/value relationship.  Corsair 1000 Watt PSU, Corsair H105 Cooler. 

I'm about ready to start a new build - I've decided to go with the 4820K, 2011 and Asus Deluxe X79 board. Hopefully with the newer architecture, I will be a little more safe for future changes.

770 Classified, 4 gig.....to me, it's just not worth the "ti's" price - price/value relationship.  Corsair 1000 Watt PSU, Corsair H105 Cooler. 

You would be WAY better off to save $250 and go with a 4670K and an LGA1150 board and use those savings to go with a 780 or 780ti. P3D is all about the GPU for the most part. Skimping there and spending that money on a more expensive CPU and mobo doesn't seem logical to me.

Also, I believe Intel's upcoming Broadwell CPUs will be LGA1150 so buying an LGA2011 would not allow you to upgrade to the next generation of chips. I would wait for the new Z97 chipset boards coming out next month.

Hi mike2060,

Thank you for your insight.

As you know, with all the hardware available, it's becoming harder to make the  "right choice" and IMHO, there is really no right choice anymore.

We research, we read so many forums, and then we come up with what we think is the most "logical" choice and go with it, knowing it's already outdated hardware.

My last build is about 4 years ago - 9550 oc'd to 3.6 / evga board / evga 570 Classified......... and it still chugs right along and is doing a fairly good job with P3D, sliders

mid range and an average of 24fps..............it's ok, but time for a new build.

I'm about finished with a motion platform, 3dof, and I will need a new build for that....

I'm also into sim racing which is not as gpu intensive as P3d has become, but racing sims like cycles....

My build is going to take place mid-summer, so I will have more time to evaluate the Z97 and and updates to Haswell...which I thank you for pointing out...

IMO, I cannot see the additional $$$ for the ti - when clocks are not super high over the 770 Classified - yes I am aware the 256 vx 384 architecture would make it faster, but

with my 570 performing well, I like the 4gb vs 3gb with the 770....again, opinion.

Thanks and any more info would be appreciated.

Tom

Last fall I went with a 4770k and a 3gig 780gtx. Very happy with the combination.

Dave

hmm. i am running a 4770K at 4,7GHZ and a GTX780SC@1100mhz and still think 6x GTX780 is what it takes so dont spend to much right now....

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png