Sign in to follow this  
willstone525

Getting FSX to run on 8.1 windows!

Hi 

I put another forum with a similar question about FS9 but just wanted to find out also about FSX. 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/439987-fs9-on-windows-81/#entry2970490%C2'>

I am about to get 8.1 on my iMac (boot camp) and need to know firstly if it will be able to run FSX, i heard because of it being out of date, FSX will not run. I really hope this isnt the case as it will mean I have wasted money on expansion for the game. 

The second question is that a lot of people say that although the standard FSX will not run, if i go for the gold package with deluxe and acceleration included i will have no issue running FSX as they are more up to date.

Hopefully some have experience of using FSX on 8.1!

Cheers :) 

Like I replied on the other thread, FSX, FS9, X-Plane 10, and FlightGear all work on my Windows 8.1 test machines.

Remember to run as administrator.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

The only issue I know to be aware of is the joystick dropout issues in Windows 8. In order to make joysticks/yokes work successfully in Windows 8, you need to use a registered copy of FSUIPC to setup the controls.

• Upvote 1

Just install FSX to defaults, but two things:

1) get a copy of UiAutomationCore.dll (google it) and place it in the FSX Program Files folder.

2) With Explorer choose the FSX/P3D Program Files folder properties -> Security -> Edit -> select the Users group and add the permissions Write and Modify, allow changes to all files and folders.

Joysticks can be lost on any copy of windows not just 8.1, when during flight in FSX resources run low with certain circumstances. Unfortunately several posts around AVSIM suggest that FSUIPC cannot guarantee joysticks stay connected.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have Windows 8.1. At first , I had nothing but problems.I think I have the winning combination. Some would disagree , but I have FSX in the (86) Program files. Everything FSX including all add ons are in the Windows 7 compatibility Mode , with administrator rights. My UAC is turned all the way down. I have the registered version of FSUIPC, but the only thing I have used it for are for key commands.With that so far no real problems related to Windows 8.1.

Anyone following my point 2) above will find they don't need to worry about UAC and Admin rights for 99% of addons, although there are a very few addons like maddog dc10 which can't be fixed with access rights, in that case run as admin.

I've definitely had more crashes to desktop with Windows 8 than I had with Windows 7. Still trying to work out why and what the fix is. On balance I'd say stay with Windows 7

I've definitely had more crashes to desktop with Windows 8 than I had with Windows 7. Still trying to work out why and what the fix is. On balance I'd say stay with Windows 7

Hi Mat,

Have you installed UiAutomationCore.dll? If so check the version used. Also if you get CTDs have you looked in the NT exception log? Although it's not working for you I would still recommend Win8.

Steve

I'm running FSX on Windows 8.1 with no issues.  I did have CTD's at first though and like Steve mentioned above, make sure you install the UIAutomationCore.dll.  That fixed my issue and I have not had any CTD's since then (December '13).

Eric

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Ill give it a try, thought the crashes seldom seem to relate to using menus.  How do i know which version I need?

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Ill give it a try, thought the crashes seldom seem to relate to using menus.  How do i know which version I need?

Hi Mat, Installing the correct version UiAutomationCore.dll will at least eliminate one worry from your CTDs. Look in the NT Admin log for exceptions that list fsx.exe, there should be information regarding any modules excepting or causing errors. Anyway, there's lots around the forums on UiAutomationCore.dll. For Win8 64bit UiAutomationCore.dll I'm using v 6.0.5840.16386 (file->properties->details) google for it, and copy to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Steve

I have Windows 8.1 and I've had nothing but trouble with FSX.

The main issue for me is the joystick dropouts and also FSX confusing the axis's between the controllers. For instance FSX will randomly think the pedals control the aileron and/or elevator axis and the joystick should control the yaw. No rhyme or reason to this.

The joystick dropouts happen for me if I alt-tab to another program. I come back to FSX and the controllers have disappeared. Sometimes this happens, sometimes not.

If you plan on launching FSX and flying without switching to another program, you're probably ok, I've had minimal issues with dropouts in that case. If however, you like to switch between programs as is FSX running, your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'm so sick of the issues with WIndows 8.1 and FSX, that's I'm reverting back to Windows 7.

I have Windows 8.1 and I've had nothing but trouble with FSX.

The main issue for me is the joystick dropouts and also FSX confusing the axis's between the controllers. For instance FSX will randomly think the pedals control the aileron and/or elevator axis and the joystick should control the yaw. No rhyme or reason to this.

The joystick dropouts happen for me if I alt-tab to another program. I come back to FSX and the controllers have disappeared. Sometimes this happens, sometimes not.

If you plan on launching FSX and flying without switching to another program, you're probably ok, I've had minimal issues with dropouts in that case. If however, you like to switch between programs as is FSX running, your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'm so sick of the issues with WIndows 8.1 and FSX, that's I'm reverting back to Windows 7.

I totaly agree with you! Windows 8.1 is a good OS and this are more optimized for other games than windows 7 with games. The only reason i went back to windows 7 is because i am sick of the yoke dissconnect all the time.

The only thing we have to do is wait and see if somone come up with a solution that works permament!

To much resoucres in fsx will cause Joystick dropouts. We need to find out how windows 8 works when programs are getting overloaded, and find our way around to fix this issue.