Sign in to follow this  
willstone525

Getting FSX to run on 8.1 windows!

my pc has windows 8.1 recently upgraded. the problem is that fsx runs but i dont see a thing. the screen is pitch black. i then did some digging and asked a friend said that the direct x is the source of the problem. if i check 'preview dx 10' i do get to see some planes but the freeware planes are all grey. but if i uncheck it, everything is black, the whole screen. can anyone suggest what could be done in this situation? 

I've had windows 8 over a year now and will stick with it, meaning, I'm not upgrading to 8.1 until the FSX issue(s) are fixed, as I continue to notice pilots having issues on this forum.  But, I had yoke/joystick and pedal disconnects with WIN8 until I started using the payware version of FSUIPC.  Since then, I've never had a disconnect.  I had purchased FSAssist but have not used it, yet, since FSUIPC is working.  Also, I've heard for WIN8 and 8.1 users not to place the UiAutomationCore.dll in the FSX directory.  Well, I always have and have had no problems.  Matter of a fact, if I don't have it, FSX will crash as soon as I access the top menu bar.

And, as for DX10, using Steve's DX10SceneryFixer, all is well there too.  Maybe I'm just a lucky one.

I hope all of you that are having issues get them sorted out soon.

Safe Flyin'

Rod

Rod Beck

I've had windows 8 over a year now and will stick with it, meaning, I'm not upgrading to 8.1 until the FSX issue(s) are fixed, as I continue to notice pilots having issues on this forum.  But, I had yoke/joystick and pedal disconnects with WIN8 until I started using the payware version of FSUIPC.  Since then, I've never had a disconnect.  I had purchased FSAssist but have not used it, yet, since FSUIPC is working.  Also, I've heard for WIN8 and 8.1 users not to place the UiAutomationCore.dll in the FSX directory.  Well, I always have and have had no problems.  Matter of a fact, if I don't have it, FSX will crash as soon as I access the top menu bar.

And, as for DX10, using Steve's DX10SceneryFixer, all is well there too.  Maybe I'm just a lucky one.

I hope all of you that are having issues get them sorted out soon.

Safe Flyin'

Rod

Mr. Rod, 

your dx10scenery fixer works great (atleast for now) and i just hope that fsx doesnt crash or become unstable. buts going well now. thanks. 

SteveW,

Do you (or anyone else) know which version of "UiAutomationCore.dll" that needs to be used?

I've found the following two versions on the web:

Is either one of these the correct version to use?

Thanks, Gary---

Just install FSX to defaults, but two things:

1) get a copy of UiAutomationCore.dll (google it) and place it in the FSX Program Files folder.

2) With Explorer choose the FSX/P3D Program Files folder properties -> Security -> Edit -> select the Users group and add the permissions Write and Modify, allow changes to all files and folders.

Joysticks can be lost on any copy of windows not just 8.1, when during flight in FSX resources run low with certain circumstances. Unfortunately several posts around AVSIM suggest that FSUIPC cannot guarantee joysticks stay connecte

Regarding #1 above....64-bit or 32-bit version of UIAutomationcore.dll ?  Running Win8.1 but FSX is a 32-bit application.

Thanks,

Zach

zachlog

Regarding #1 above

Hi, Zach,

UiAutomationcore.dll v6.0.5840.16386 is 32bit, and should be placed in the FSX program files folder (where we find FSX.EXE), dlls found there by FSX are loaded first. If it's not found there then UiAutomationcore.dll that comes with Windows will be loaded and in Win7 and Win8 it's not strictly compatible with FSX.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for the explanation !

I have a 32-bit version but not the one in your response. Where do I get the one in your response ?

zachlog

Appreciate it, will run FSX and will let you know how it goes.

Zach

zachlog

If you get any crashes - first check the Events log, View All Events, Administrative Events. Look for Faulting application name: fsx.exe - look for Faulting module name, e.g. UiAutomationcore.dll. Let us know.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I downloaded and installed v6.0.5840.16386, ran FSX for 45 minutes (PMDG-737 NGX), no CTDs. Prior to using this DLL, FSX would CTD in under 5 minutes of operation (had experimented with multiple aircraft to eliminate the PMDG-737NGX as the cause).

I think I can declare victory at this point, will let you know if otherwise.

Thanks again,

Zach

zachlog

SteveW,

The CTD is back again but I don't think it has anything to do with UIAutomationcore.dll.

This is the first time I attempted to fly in earnest and I get a CTD after flying for about 5 minutes.  I fly the PMDG 737NGX.  I looked at the Windows event log as you suggested and the faulting module is stated as PMDG_737NGX.DLL and in a separate event, it says "Activation context generation failed" for FSUIPC4.DLL.  The CTD has occurred multiple times and these two events seem to be paired every time but occur a couple of minutes apart.  I would love to give you more information but this forum does not allow me to paste anything and I don't see an option to attach something like a MS-Word document with more log information.

If you can help I would appreciate it.  I tried opening a ticket with PMDG but they tell me they recommend Win7 64-bit and not Win 8.1.  A recommendation is far different than "we will not support it" but you can't fight with city hall !

Thanks,

Zach

zachlog