Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Installing FSX on a different drive

Guy's could someone advise the following, I need to do a complete reinstall of fsx and all addons, I want to remove everything from the default C:\ programs(x86) drive and install onto my free "F" drive so in doing so does all the addons like REX, FTXG, FTXVECTOR, FSGLOBAL 2010, PMDG, ASN etc, etc be installed on "F" drive?

I have mine on my "Z:" drive with FSX Global and a bunch of other stuff.

If you are running Win7 (or 8) be certain to install EVERYTHING

"As Administrator"!

Also, use the shortest path possible...F:FSX and F:Fsx SDK

That will save a loot of typing over the long run :)

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Thanks Paul, I had a major fsx.exe file problem caused by another addon and had to insert the fsx disc's for a repair and in doing so I'm sure it has upset my FTXG, VECTOR, FSG2010 so on and so on terrain as it's now just not the same, so if I was to do a complete install of everthing (which I'm not looking forward to) I thought I would move it all to my "F" drive which is completely empty and yes it's win7. Not sure what you mean the shortest path possible...F.FSX and F.Fsx SDK?

Cheers Rod.

FSX will try to install  F:\Programs\Microsoft Games\etcetera, etcetera,e6tcetera\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

That is an unnecessarily loooog path!

Thus I recommend to just shorten it to F:\FSX and if you install the SDK, make it F:\FSX SDK

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I have FSX installed on a different drive and it works great.  Both my drives are new 1.36 terabyte drives, and FSX only uses 0.07 Tb, so there is a lot of left-over drive space.  I was considering running a "ghost" program on the F: drive for my C: drive.  Does anyone know if this can be done without messing up FSX ?

Dave Hinson

I don't recommend popping the FSX discs into your PC to run a repair. If you get to that point a total re-install is your best option. A significant inconvenience fir sure and It will take longer to set up but you will be flying a lot quicker. A repair will be highly likely to dissociate some of your add ons and make a far bigger mess than ever leaving you frustrated and buried in problem solving.

If it is a PC used predominantly for FSX I would go as far as to say complete disc format and re- install of Windows would not hurt either as reinstalling FSX over itself on a different drive will not remove some of the old registry entries. Sooner or later something will go CRASH!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I don't have any problems. I have WIN7 installed in the default path and have changed the security settings. I have hundreds of planes, about 50 sceneries too and have no problem at all.

A friend of mine has FSX Gold. What exact full path should he be using on the recommended C:\ drive? Bob.