Sign in to follow this  
manuthie

Wolrd2XPlane @ day & night (lot's of big images)

And it's like this all over the world?

not sure.... 2 things: if simheaven has done the satelite photos, the ground will look as good as it looks above... now for the 3D, all depends on how good the OSM data is in the requested region. Also, just for example, if a region has very specific buildings, and there no 3D buildings yet, then it might look good, but not as real as it could look.

I'm afraid not. Simple reason, outside of Central Europe, OSM mapping isn't particularly great. Most of the buildings in the library are also European, as nobody has yet contributed outside of Europe. So it will remain this way until someone does

I don't want to sound rude, but these look very bright, and almost childish. It looks fake!

Funny, I fired up P3D v2.2 this morning and thought exactly the same thing

Guest Mik75

I don't want to sound rude, but these look very bright, and almost childish. It looks fake!

I wish we could lay this "my preferred sim vs your preferred sim" thing aside for a moment and remember, that we all belong to the relatively small bunch of flightsim enthusiasts. And as such, one simply has to

admit, that these pictures show the most realistic scenery ever to be seen on any platform. At least that's what I think and feel when I see these screenshots!

And this is ONLY World2XPlane?

It's only the World2XPlane scenery and photo scenery files from simHeaven plus the B58 BARON from carenado. I'm not sure if the experimental (dense) forests from alpilotx has any effect in this scenario but that was installed as well.

Most likely not. Germany has rather nice OSM coverage.

I wish we could lay this "my preferred sim vs your preferred sim" thing aside for a moment

I apologise, I'd had enough yesterday of people going out of the way to put down everything, no matter how many people like it, and I'm guessing this remark came from an FSX/P3D user. 

It's evident that you can't please everyone, and some people will put things down no matter what,

In this thread alone, one complains that his X-Plane is dull and bland, another says it's too bright and childish.   :lol:

Another thing people seem to forget is that this program is a tool for making scenery, and not scenery itself. You are free to change the houses, textures, colours and generate what you like. 

I will never understand why x-plane looks so good for others but for me its a very grey bland world.

So, nothing to contribute then! Personally photoreal scenery, accurately placed autogen when combined with blade element theory flight modelling represents a very positive step in the right direction enabling proper VFR simming. Is this something you really cannot understand? Now I don't mean to offend in any way but might I suggest that If not, then perhaps threads such as this are best avoided by you.

So, nothing to contribute then! Personally photoreal scenery, accurately placed autogen when combined with blade element theory flight modelling represents a very positive step in the right direction enabling proper VFR simming. Is this something you really cannot understand? Now I don't mean to offend in any way but might I suggest that If not, then perhaps threads such as this are best avoided by you.

No I was basicly asking how op got it to look so good. I only have the demo but the sky and ground colors appear greyed out and very bland color wise

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I believe he is using the Raleigh scatter tweak. That is why the colors are so nice. If you go to the xplane forum there is a sticky at the top that talks about the tweak and how to implement it

No I was basicly asking how op got it to look so good. I only have the demo but the sky and ground colors appear greyed out and very bland color wise

Ah, I see, my apologies! It takes a bit of work but the combination of World2Xplane and G2XPL (for the underlying photoscenery) really work together to great effect. World2XPlane places autogen in the correct positions atop the underlying photo stuff  and is a huge leap forward for us, it really fulfills the X-Plane promise of "as real as it gets". Tony and others (Blacky75) are working hard  and the effect of what they have done is astonishing in sim. I actually deleted the other two sims I had because they no longer came even close to what can be done in X-Plane now. Caveat: OSM data is very good in some countries, not so much in others so mileage varies as they say. I've personally not looked at the Raleigh scatter tweak, instead have been using SkyMaxx Pro so I can't opine on it.

It should be said also that all these scenery enhancements and tweaks are easy to install and best of all free. IMHO you can spend several hundred dollars on scenery enhancements for FSX (and I have done in the past) and still not get anywhere near what X-Plane provides for free. And of course 64 bit is the icing and the cherry on the cake that allows us to have this sort of scenery 

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Guest Mik75

It should be said also that all these scenery enhancements and tweaks are easy to install and best of all free. IMHO you can spend several hundred dollars on scenery enhancements for FSX (and I have done in the past) and still not get anywhere near what X-Plane provides for free. And of course 64 bit is the icing and the cherry on the cake that allows us to have this sort of scenery

So true

I'm pro (=fan) of X-plane!

But...

XPlane has been (only my opinion of course) badly programmed, because it can't use the power of actual machines. At my specs, I'm not able to set all options to their highest limits, if I do that, with a ZL17 satelite photo map, and any even light scenery loaded, I might hit 10fps, even at my pc specs, quite frustrating :-) Specially when the CPU hits barely 40% and the GPU 35%...(grrrrr) But... there are choices to be taken on the options to go along and live with :-) This must be kept in mind :-)

As I started the house library for world2xplane (and still working at of course), I tried to get 'em performent, thnx also to Tony who helped me for that :-) Now they are at their max performance (lowest triangle count) I still could go and descent the triangles by removing the chimneys too... but as said, it's getting all of a choice :-) I could even end up with 0 triangles per house, saying, doing no houses to keep it performent ^^

Any way... I love that simulator just because of first it looks like simulating very well helicopter behavior (i'm not so into planes), and second, it gets closer to reality, even if there are still big improvements to achieve :-)

Anyway, just saying... xplane has good, and (performance-like) bad parts ^^

And just for the end word: Thnks to all supporters and thnks to the programmer of world2xplane :-) I'll continue the house library, and soon go into regionals like as for the UK, where my actual houses don't really fit in there, even if it looks nice, it's not quite regionalised :-)

happy flying :-)

+1, I'm glad someone has finally noticed that all of this scenery is available for free (Or should I say donationware, i.e. if you like it, then there's always the donate button on world2xplane.com ;) ).  To get similar in FSX/P3D, (and the nearest I've seen is FranceVFR), you can expect to pay €49 per region.

XPlane has been (only my opinion of course) badly programmed, because it can't use the power of actual machines. At my specs, I'm not able to set all options to their highest limits, if I do that, with a ZL17 satelite photo map, and any even light scenery loaded, I might hit 10fps, even at my pc specs, quite frustrating :-) Specially when the CPU hits barely 40% and the GPU 35%...(grrrrr) But... there are choices to be taken on the options to go along and live with :-) This must be kept in mind :-)

Well, there are number of things this could be as opposed to just bad programming. I'm not a hardware guru, but perhaps X-Plane simply can't transfer data to and from the GPU or CPU fast enough, because of bus speeds, etc.. If the GPU is only sitting at 40% and it's stuttering or low FPS, then it sounds to me like it simply isn't being given the data fast enough to process it. Again, I don't know, so perhaps someone can clarify this. But, the world being simulated by X-Plane is very different than a smaller sandbox world being emulated by something like GTA4

maybe... anyone a good explanation of it? Would be interestening :-) Sorry for the OT though.... :/