Sign in to follow this  
justinxfan

OOM During APP

Often, when I'm on approach to a major airport in a major plane, the game gives me an OOM. It's extremely frustrating because I spent 3 hours flying from Madrid to Frankfurt today and the game crashed while on final. Last week, I flew from Istanbul to Thessalonki. Everything looked so nice when I actually landed but when I got off the runway, I get a OOM. Last month, I was doing the SimCheck A300 tutorial flight and while on approach to London, it gave me a OOM. On all of these situations, my FPS was locked at my 20 setting. There was absolutely no FPS drop. It's very annoying now because I'm not able to complete many flights

If you search the main FSX Forum, you'll find numerous hints and tips regarding OOM prevention. Basically as developers have stretched the envelope on high resolution detail, FSX is pushed to the edge of the 4GB VAS limit. So compromise is the only solution - there are no "magic" bullets. You'll have to move some of the graphics/scenery sliders back a little to achieve the right balance for your setup. The main culprits are usually autogen, traffic, clouds, and LOD and also limiting textures to 2048 MB. I've flown the PMDG 777 on close to 60 flights into some highly detailed airports and have never had an OOM - came close with the FSDT JFK and Drzewiecki NYC scenery, but made it to the gate with FSX beeping at me. Now, I fly almost exclusively IFR, so detail is not my main consideration. With the 777, I'll run sparse autogen, 50% traffic with MyTrafficX, and LOD set to 4.0 which works for my purposes. Try easing back on your settings until you find the sweet spot for your setup. Good luck and enjoy flying!

If you search the main FSX Forum, you'll find numerous hints and tips regarding OOM prevention.

That should be a negative.  This is the Crash to Desktop forum and I am moving all OOM threads here.  This was definitely the right spot for this problem to be reported.  Thanks for your help in any case! 

Best regards,

Jim

Often, when I'm on approach to a major airport in a major plane, the game gives me an OOM. It's extremely frustrating because I spent 3 hours flying from Madrid to Frankfurt today and the game crashed while on final. Last week, I flew from Istanbul to Thessalonki. Everything looked so nice when I actually landed but when I got off the runway, I get a OOM. Last month, I was doing the SimCheck A300 tutorial flight and while on approach to London, it gave me a OOM. On all of these situations, my FPS was locked at my 20 setting. There was absolutely no FPS drop. It's very annoying now because I'm not able to complete many flights

Big_Duke has some excellent suggestions.  The AVSIM CTD Guide, located under Hot Spots to the right of this forum, has more suggestions.  The longer the flight the more likely you will have an OOM.  The freeware or registered versions of the FSUIPC utility will allow you to monitor the amount of VAS remaining during a flight session.  Startup FSX and then enter the Addon menu and select FSUIPC.  Once FSUIPC is open, click on the logging tab and enter 024c under Offset and the select S32 under type.  Select where you would like to have the usage displayed.  The FS Window is for full screen and the FS Title Bar is for Windowed Mode.  We recommend you also check the Normal log file as this will show you the fluctuations in VAS usage throughout the flight.

The VAS usage is displayed in Kilobytes (KB’s).  The value represents the amount of VAS left so, the lower the value, the more VAS being depleted.  The max amount of VAS allowed in computers with 64 bit Operating Systems is 4GB’s.  This is shared with other applications running in the background on your computer.  This is why we do not recommend running any Internet browsers in the background during a FSX session.

To convert the KB’s to the amount of GB’s, you should use one of the Byte converters on the Internet like the following:  http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/byteconverter.htm. You will never see 4194304 KB’s displayed as this equals 4GB’s.  You might see around 3GB’s (3145728) remaining when you first start up FSX/P3D but that would be unusual.  Do not be too concerned with the amount of VAS remaining when you first start up. 

The more Autogen turned on, the more likely you will run out of VAS the fastest (or this is what we found with P3D).  The LOD_Radius (above 4.5) and Texture_Max_Load settings above the default of 1024 in your Fsx.cfg are the prime culprits for depleting VAS. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Disable sceneries and areas you don't use. 

I do. I only enable the ORBX sceneries, the airports I'm departing and arriving at and the default FSX bases.

Here is an excellent document written by Ryan Maziarz of PMDG about how to reduce VAS and eliminate OOM's:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors

However, here is another technique that ultimately solved my particular VAS/OOM issue in addition to suggestions of Ryan Maziarz and others. There are other tools, documents and techniques mentioned on the AVSIM forums and in AVSIM documentation like the CTD Guide.

I ran across the suggestions below on an AVSIM thread (contributed by AVSIM member tf51D) which I implemented to further help reduce VAS usage and OOM’s. This technique has pretty much eliminated the FSUIP4 beeping I used to get when I was nearing VAS limits, or prior to incurring an OOM.

I implemented the below process which basically prevents the loading of the following DLL’s during the FSX startup phase when I fly the PMDG 737 NGX on my system (your system may no doubt be different than mine):

1. Captain Sim 707 Sound DLL (needed only when I fly the 707)
2. RAASPRO DLL – built in and only used by the PMDG 777 on my system
3. A2A Service DLL (for A2A aircraft, possibly some other stuff)

I also modified all of my Orbx Scenery Object Flow DLL statements  in the XML file (I have a total of 14 Orbx airports and each airport has one of these types of DLL’s).

By the way, the DLL.XML file is located where the fsx.cfg file is (use the edit feature built into Windows 7 to modify XML file):

C:\Users\your unique name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml

Most of my OOM memory issues happen when I fly the PMDG 737 NGX. These CTD/OOM issues usually occur at the end of the flight on final approach when nearing the Virtual Address Space (VAS) limits.
I solved it by setting many of my DLL's in the XML file to Manual load. By doing this, I only load, or not load, the DLL's for the addons I'm using for the flight. For example, there's no need to load Captain Sim DLL's, Feelthere DLL's, or Orbix Object Flow DLL's, for example, if I'm flying the NGX, but not flying into specific Orbix add-on airports. This is especially important, since VAS has to be contiguous. Clearing VAS contributors up front prior to loading FSX, makes larger amounts of VAS available at the later stages of flight.

This is why the great many OOM errors happen on approach, or just after landing, especially at addon airports, as the arrival airport has to load the detailed 3D objects of the airport/ground AI, etc. Even though it may appear there may be enough VAS to handle it, it may not have a large enough contiguous space to fit what is needed, causing the OOM.

Since modifying the DLL.XML file entries, I can now pretty much fly the NGX to any airport I own, without problems, and haven't had a OOM since, plus my FSX.EXE shuts down properly without crashing.
To implement this technique, add the following line to each optional section of the DLL.XML file, unless it is already there. (These are usually the airplane/scenery/sound addon dll's). Orbx items appear to already include this <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> command line, but I had to change the state from False to True to make manual load work.

<ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>

Note: Leave the XML entries for the dll's you want to use on every flight alone, for example, utilities, llike FSUIPC, FSX SDK's, etc.

When you start FSX, it will then ask you if you want to load each dll, only say YES to the ones you will be using for this particular flight, and NO to those not needed. Every time you shutdown and restart FSX,  you will be asked to respond to this same list of questions.

Here is a portion of my DLL.XML file on my system to give you the general idea (Just be careful when you edit, it is easy to make a mistake):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_KRDD.dll</Name>
<Path>E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KRDD\scenery\ObjectFlow_KRDD.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_KWYS.dll</Name>
<Path>E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KWYS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_KWYS.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Addon Manager</Name>
<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_KSFF.dll</Name>
<Path>E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KSFF\Scenery\ObjectFlow_KSFF.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

//////////////////-------- Break---------///////////////////////////////

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>A2A Service</Name>
<Path>A2A\Shared\A2A_Service.dll</Path>
<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB