Sign in to follow this  
wizzards

good article on P3d

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they are ever going to do something about AI traffic. I don't know if WB meant that they are not going to do something like UT2 (obviously) or if they are not touching AI traffic behaviour. Add-on developers can only do so much with the current AI system.

Surely Lockheed Martin's approach is "do-it-yourself". 

This includes real weather, icing ,AI, such as flight dynamics, navaids etc:

There are several great add-ons that provide our customers the option of real or live weather. We encourage our customers who have those requirements to seek out some of the great add-ons that can pull in live weather data...

We've added in ways for developers to define their own simulations and systems, and incorporate them into the Prepar3D world...

there are several great add-ons that can fill your Prepar3D with AI aircraft if you have those requirements...

It seems that individual developers will be able introduce enhancements, provided they are viable commercially.

Looks like a good approach to me - the hooks are there, 3pds can jump in and do their best.

This is also really good news:

--- from Wesley's Interview at FLIGHTSIM.COM ---

Does Prepar3D plan to support sloped runways?

We will support sloped runways, and provide the mechanism and interfaces for developers to support sloped runways in the future, yes. We're actually already excited to see some of the sloped runway add-ons the Prepar3D Development Networks companies will come up with!

--- End of Transcript ---

ASN is going to be my first test this afternoon, after having taken the plunge :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Does Prepar3D plan to support sloped runways?

But does AI support sloped runways? My understanding that FSX AI aircraft can only land on level runways.

FSX/P3D's AI system is already really good. It's pretty remarkable what MS accomplished in that regard and with the ability to have AI fly real routes, even airways vs. direct.

I'm not even sure what I'd change except the above suggestion about sloped runway usage.

But does AI support sloped runways? My understanding that FSX AI aircraft can only land on level runways.

Don't know yet :-/,

Anyway, the excerpt is from Wesley's interview at FLIGHTSIM.COM.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

FSX/P3D's AI system is already really good. It's pretty remarkable what MS accomplished in that regard and with the ability to have AI fly real routes, even airways vs. direct.

I'm not even sure what I'd change except the above suggestion about sloped runway usage.

UT2 is the one who lets AI fly via airways, not FSX. Also, AI can't fly SIDs and STARs by default. They can also just disappear if they get held up while taxiing.  They don't know about high speed turn offs. So they either land and stop within 100 feet then go to the nearest exit even if it means turning right around, or they take a minute to taxi down the runway. Also, the AI/ATC system doesn't allow you to customize the runway usage at an airport. AI aircraft don't push back correctly. Traffic separation is non existent. The AI/ATC go hand in hand so it is an issue with both of these systems.

I believe they do not.

If there is a limit to the current method, LM is encouraging partnership with the dev community.  So, the opportunity is there for this to be addressed. LM may not have said that but it clearly is their posture.  

To say "it" can't be done may be true for FSX as that code is frozen dead, but P3D is actively being developed....   and the great thing is that LM is not trying to do everything themselves.  They are being respective and recognize the great efforts of the add-on market, and that's a good thing in my book!

P.S.  I like that they mention they are working on better water and the spinning cloud issue...and even more optimization with terrain paging!   Love it....

I understand those limitations to the AI, but it's still impressive how much it does right. Go look at XP10's AI and you'll see how remarkable what MS accomplished is. In a general sense, the AI system works. Planes go from point A-B, they land/takeoff, they push back (despite not realistically), they fly real schedules, and they look pretty doing it and filling up space, etc.

For some the nuances of AI are more important. So I understand different opinions will be had. I admit, as a real GA pilot, it'd be nice if they'd fly traffic patterns on VFR approaches.

As far as things I'd rather see fixed, I hope some 3PD picks up the ATC mantle and hopefully can build something integrated into P3D's current system that controls AI, etc. It wasn't possible in FSX but it can be in P3D with active development.

If there is a limit to the current method, LM is encouraging partnership with the dev community.  The opportunity is there for this to be addressed. LM may not have said that but it clearly is their posture.  

To say "it" can't be done may be true for FSX as that code is frozen dead, but P3D is actively being developed....   and the great thing is that LM is not trying to do everything themselves.  They are being respective and recognize the great efforts of the add-on market, and that's a good thing in my book!

Totally agree! This is 180 degrees from the way MS approached Flight (which really hurt Flight). One of the best things about Prepar3D is that it is actively being developed, AND that the dev community has been part of this ongoing development.

FSX has real weather built in, but it is NOTHING like the real weather that you get with a weather engine addon, like Active Sky Next.  The reality is that developing a new flightsim is so complex, that it would take forever to include everything in the core sim (and updates would likely be MUCH longer).

As for AI aircraft . . . I have Orbx FTX (Base, Vector, and FS 2010 Mesh) and it seems to also improve/expand the AI (based on what I have been experiencing).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

LM stated at the very beginning that they would open up the architecture for 3rd party developers to create custom content. Their focus was to build a stable platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are you mentioning FSX AI in the Prepar3D forum???

Your comment makes it sound like AI can only operate within the primary program. Using Simconnect would allow the AI to do most anything a developer wanted, including land at a non-flat runway and taxi to the terminal.

Better to think what might be possible, than what is not possible?

The AI is ultimately tied to default FSX/P3D ATC/AI system. Simconnect can only do so much. Simconnect can not assign runways to AI traffic.

UT2 is the one who lets AI fly via airways, not FSX.

Correction. FSX (and P3D of course) is the engine which is making the AI traffic follow the flight plans filed by UT2. This is a SimConnect facility, to launch AI with a flight plan. SimConnect is part of FSX and P3D. UT2 makes use of this facility, it doesn't fly the AI itself.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen