Sign in to follow this  
vertigho

Will I be able to run FSX reasonably?

Hey guys, first-time poster here! I don't need to run FSX at max (although that would be nice). I simply need to know if my current setup will be sufficient in supporting a (relatively) smooth operation of FSX. 

Mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina

(will run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit via Bootcamp)

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

I plan on assigning roughly 130-140 GB for the Windows partition, although I realize this is a rather low number. My alternative plan is to run a SATA 3 SSD via a USB 3.0 adapter, having it function essentially as a portable hard drive, or, in this case, a portable SSD. Again, a strategy that I realize isn't ideal, however, based on what I've read, should be an adequate contingency plan.

With all that said, what should I expect? Will the above specs be enough to run the game decently? Is there something I could be doing that I should be, or some spec adjustment that I could make that I'm overlooking? Any/all feedback is welcomed!

Thanks in advance to all.

Best regards,

Ben

I had a similar rig with a 2.4 GHz processor and an intel video board:  had trouble handing even FS9 with high detail scenery packages.  I don't think your rig will handle FSX.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I had a similar rig with a 2.4 GHz processor and an intel video board:  had trouble handing even FS9 with high detail scenery packages.  I don't think your rig will handle FSX.

Right-oh! Well, this is wonderful... hmmph. 

I suppose I'll go ahead and buy the FSX-related stuff, give it a whirl, and if it doesn't work I'll look at getting another machine. 

Hey guys, first-time poster here! I don't need to run FSX at max (although that would be nice). I simply need to know if my current setup will be sufficient in supporting a (relatively) smooth operation of FSX. 

Mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina

(will run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit via Bootcamp)

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

I plan on assigning roughly 130-140 GB for the Windows partition, although I realize this is a rather low number. My alternative plan is to run a SATA 3 SSD via a USB 3.0 adapter, having it function essentially as a portable hard drive, or, in this case, a portable SSD. Again, a strategy that I realize isn't ideal, however, based on what I've read, should be an adequate contingency plan.

With all that said, what should I expect? Will the above specs be enough to run the game decently? Is there something I could be doing that I should be, or some spec adjustment that I could make that I'm overlooking? Any/all feedback is welcomed!

Thanks in advance to all.

Best regards,

Ben

FSX is a maybe/maybe not even though you have more than a capable system to run anything else.  Don't isolate yourself to a seven year platform with options like X-Plane and P3D v2 on the market actively being developed and supported (plus most FSX stuff works in P3D and we can tell you what doesn't, 'for now').  These other solutions work right out the box with no tweaking which should be a plus for any new simmer.  The goal is to fly and not spend time in here for support trying to be an IT Tech with no help from the original developer...

http://www.prepar3d.com/

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/home/

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

FSX is a maybe/maybe not even though you have more than a capable system to run anythings else.  Don't isolate yourself to a seven year platform with options like X-Plane and P3D v2 on the market actively being developed and supported (plus most FSX stuff works in P3D and we can tell you what doesn't for now).  These other solutions work right out the box with no tweaking which should be a plus for any new simmer.  The goal is to fly and not spend time in here for support trying to be an IT Tech...

http://www.prepar3d.com/

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/home/

Alright!

Im about to jump ship myself.. SO FED UP with FSX!!

Take it from me dreighver. Ive spent 3 years on FSX and Im getting frustrated by the minute now.. Trouble shows up like lightning from a blue sky..

It took me endless hours to tweak it.. Ive had so many CTDs I lost count the first week I had it running..

I think you should consider X-plane or P3D before FSX!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Gotcha, thanks for the feedback everyone.

The reason I was looking to use FSX was due to PMDG's planes. Based on what I've read, they're about as good as they come, and that immersive experience was the deciding factor for me. 

That said, if you guys would recommend X-Plane or P3D over FSX, I'll explore those as options. 

Thanks again.

agree fsx can be a real pain. i think the 'not knowing if your flight will complete fully without a ctd or not' is the worse problem for me. just the whole 'russian roulette' of it all breaks my balls. dunno if i spend more time reading forums for pesky problem solving than actual flyng.