Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

How Do I Make DX 10 Work?

I am new to the DX 10 in FSX. I just updated from Windows XP which was DX 9.0c and had/have a DX10 video card (ATI 4650). Now I still have the same video card but with the Windows 7 Home Premium, there is DX11 on the computer.

My question is why does my scenery look so bad/ jaged and shakes when I select the New/now DX10 box in the FSX menu?  The scenery looks great with the box un-selected and the FPS stays pretty much at 30 FPS. When I select the DX10 box the video looks real bad and the frame rates tank.

What mode is the program running in?  The box says FSX is a DX9, the video card is a DX10 and the Windows 7 is a DX11. From looking at several pages of this section, it looks like DX10 has a lot of problems. Is it worth messing with or do I just leave the DX10 box unchecked?

Terry

What mode is the program running in? The box says FSX is a DX9, the video card is a DX10 and the Windows 7 is a DX11. From looking at several pages of this section, it looks like DX10 has a lot of problems. Is it worth messing with or do I just leave the DX10 box unchecked?

Whether you turn DX10 on or off is simply your decision.  For most (including me), it provides better performance and graphics as it uses better technology than the technology provided by DX9.  Microsoft programmed FSX/Acceleration/SP2 for DX10 but didn't do a good job at it and hoped to do a better job with a later update (but the FSX Team was released by Microsoft before they could do that). The fact they did not have time to provide perfect DX10 programming is why it shows DX10 Preview instead of DX10.   A product has to be programmed appropriately to used the new DX11 technology.  FSX/Acceleration does not have DX11 capability.  As suggested by Zicheng Cai above, you should purchase the Steve's DX10 Fixer (AVSIM hosts the DX10 Fixer Forum and you can visit that forum to get more details). This forum was set up mainly to handle the freeware version of the DX10 Fixer when it was in beta form.  In fact, there was no intentions on having a payware version when this forum was created.  Now there is a payware version which improves DX10 in FSX and you should visit that forum for more details.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10