Sign in to follow this  
maf

Why I hate FSX more and more

Every now and then, a problem comes along in FSX that needs to be solved. Most of the time I can do this on my own

by aid from google.

However, this time Im a bit stuck because I just cannot wrap my mind around WHY this happens..

FSX has now been running without a flaw for almost a year (after having had issue after issue after issue), and suddenly, on approach to Long Beach today on

the Airbus X with Opus running the weather:

I start getting vertical spears/needles flashing around me at various rates and fps crashing down to about 1 fps on the worst.. 

It looks like what you see on this image (although that image shows other issues I dont have as well)

https://www.google.no/search?q=vertical+stripes+fsx&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xptSU9zMG6Ta4wTQ6YCICA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=968#q=fsx+graphic+issues&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=ki8w6bqzzQrUfM%253A%3B8o3c_yD6OJY3HM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg716.imageshack.us%252Fimg716%252F851%252F2010220213811281.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.flightsim.com%252Fvbfs%252Fshowthread.php%253F209397-Weird-graphics-problem%3B1024%3B576

Never had this problem. GPU not overloaded, temps normal, same with CPU. 64bit Win7 system.. No OC, no nothing... 

Ive tested my system with memory torture and everything is juuuuuuuuust fine.. But not so according to FSX now..

Has this possibly got to do with bufferpools in CFG?

Thanks so much for helping out!

FSX is gonna put me in a mental institution one day.. Maybe I should switch to P3D??

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Hi there,

Yes is the simple answer I run a GTX 770 4 gb card and cannot run Bufferpools at 0 without spikes, the silly thing is with my old less powerful card I could..go figure.

The best I can say is try setting the BP to Usepools 1 and insert a RejectThreshold limit to suit..you will have to experiment I run mine at a 100k but I over clock my CPU.

It does stop the spikes the only thing adding this does is it can make turning slightly stutters when on the ground...

All the best

FSX is gonna put me in a mental institution one day..

How many of us have been there with FSX? I am going crazy at the moment with a different problem and I have spent the last 2 weekends altering cfg and Nvidia settings trying to resolve it!!

You therefore have my sympathy and although I cannot help you specifically with that problem, I assume you have not added anything to FSX recently or changed any settings? Have you flown in the Long Beach area recently without problems or is it a long time since you have flown there - if so, have you installed any addons for that area since you were last there?

Bill

Hi there,

Yes is the simple answer I run a GTX 770 4 gb card and cannot run Bufferpools at 0 without spikes, the silly thing is with my old less powerful card I could..go figure.

The best I can say is try setting the BP to Usepools 1 and insert a RejectThreshold limit to suit..you will have to experiment I run mine at a 100k but I over clock my CPU.

It does stop the spikes the only thing adding this does is it can make turning slightly stutters when on the ground...

All the best

Ok, good stuff! Im gonna start at it right now.

Thank you!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

This happens when you have bufferpools=0 and run with your water setting below High 2x.

If you have Pools =0 you need to keep water on high 2x or higher, otherwise you get artifacts when you're near the ground.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

How many of us have been there with FSX? I am going crazy at the moment with a different problem and I have spent the last 2 weekends altering cfg and Nvidia settings trying to resolve it!!

You therefore have my sympathy and although I cannot help you specifically with that problem, I assume you have not added anything to FSX recently or changed any settings? Have you flown in the Long Beach area recently without problems or is it a long time since you have flown there - if so, have you installed any addons for that area since you were last there?

Bill

:lol: ... Thank you!

Yup! Its ok in the beginning, like when I switched to FSX 3 years ago..

But now:

Flown in LA-airspace the past months alot (Dreamteam LAX and so on)

The only thing I did, which might be the troublemaker:

I updated my Airbus X to version 1.16..

Ive flown the 737NGX for the past 6 months without a sneeze and I just let the Airbus sit there..

Then, couple of days ago, I figured some flights with JetBlue on the wonderful Airbus X would be nice, so I updated it to newest version.

I flew LGB-SAN-LGB, so the program had been running for a bit, BUT:

Ive flown DFW-PHX-DFW and so on without any issues on the 737NGX, so I do suspect the issue might be the Airbus using more VAS..

This happens when you have bufferpools=0 and run with your water setting below High 2x.

If you have Pools =0 you need to keep water on high 2x or higher, otherwise you get artifacts when you're near the ground.

I`ll try this one first!

Thanks for the help!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

:lol: ... Thank you!

Yup! Its ok in the beginning, like when I switched to FSX 3 years ago..

But now:

Flown in LA-airspace the past months alot (Dreamteam LAX and so on)

The only thing I did, which might be the troublemaker:

I updated my Airbus X to version 1.16..

Ive flown the 737NGX for the past 6 months without a sneeze and I just let the Airbus sit there..

Then, couple of days ago, I figured some flights with JetBlue on the wonderful Airbus X would be nice, so I updated it to newest version.

I flew LGB-SAN-LGB, so the program had been running for a bit, BUT:

Ive flown DFW-PHX-DFW and so on without any issues on the 737NGX, so I do suspect the issue might be the Airbus using more VAS..

I`ll try this one first!

Thanks for the help!

:ph34r:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hmmm... new update.. 

My CFG settings:

[bufferPools]
Poolsize=50000000
UsePools=1
[GRAPHICS]
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
D3D10=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=1
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
NUM_LIGHTS=8
See_Self=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
Text_Scroll=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672
ForceFullScreenVSync=1

So, I didnt have bufferpools set to 0...

:ph34r:

You fly P3D?

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

I suggest you vaccuum your computer case out with a hose.  You say you don't have temp problems, but I've noticed as the summer comes and goes, that change in ambient temperature can cause stuff like this to happen from time to time, so it's a good time to get the gunk out of those fans.

I suggest you vaccuum your computer case out with a hose.  You say you don't have temp problems, but I've noticed as the summer comes and goes, that change in ambient temperature can cause stuff like this to happen from time to time, so it's a good time to get the gunk out of those fans.

Good suggestion, but I have a "pressurized" case, so dust is no problem.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Good suggestion, but I have a "pressurized" case, so dust is no problem.

I have a positive pressure case with 3 180mm intake fans and the dust filters still end up caked with dust. If the filters weren't there that would all end up in the case. I must clean them out regularly to maintain airflow. I think Yngve made the dust suggestions because the artifacting you see is typical of a card OCed past its limits, or one experiencing heat issues. Also, you need a reject threshhold if you have Usepools=1. RT is missing from your cfg. 

FSX is gonna put me in a mental institution one day.. Maybe I should switch to P3D??

P3D is not the panacea for your FSX ills.  It's FSX code and architecture that is being extended and modified.

Remember, FSX is an fairly open system allowing a ton of third party add-ons to change things or change the way those add-ons interact that you may not even be aware of.  Whenever FSX "was working" and "now it's not", the first thing you should ask yourself is, "what changed"?...graphics driver, add-on update, etc.  Those same basic issues, therefore, still reside with P3D.

Yep, it can all drive you crazy.

Chris Lundberg

It looks more like you should start with a new fsx.cfg file for starters.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

P3D is not the panacea for your FSX ills.  It's FSX code and architecture that is being extended and modified.

While I will agree with your first sentence... your second sentence is not accurate at this time. Prepar3D v2.2 is a distant relative to FSX that runs using DX11 and some serious kickbutt graphics updates to reduce the chance of an OOM to slim-to-none.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I've had similar vertical spike issues with FSX. They only flash time to time and don't last, but they tend to be quite the annoyance, and the UsePools=0 WITH water set to High 2x is definitely something I will try. Vertical spikes happen/happened every day to me, but were something minor. Thanks for the help!