Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

So long Airbus, Boeing here I come!

So, here I am, migrating to Boeing, after 2 years flying with Airbus. The reason is simple - I'm fed up with very narrow choice of quality Airbus addons for FSX. I enjoyed with Airbus X Extended in tha last month, but honestly I can't limit myself only to A320/321. What are other options? There isn't any! Wilco Airbus Evolution? HAve it, didn't liked it, and it stutters like mad, no thanks. Blackbox 320/330? Never bought beta stuff, and this case isn't any different. And most of all, there weren't any updates for these addons for months. Project Airbus? They are cool, yes, but they are based on default A321. Ugly VC, simple systems, questionable flight model and FBW... etc. To be honest I quite enjoyed PA A320 v3 for months, but now after I upgraded my machine to 3770k @ 4.5ghz, I can't see myself using default like planes, it is a blasphemy, I need something new, more advanced. As I said, after I upgraded my machine, mostly flew Airbus X Extended. It is really a brilliant addon, like it is made especially for me - medium depth systems, checklists, brilliant VC, audio immersion is the best on the market, superb. But, I simply can't limit myself only on A320/321, and most of all, A340 cockpit is 95% identical, so it feels like you are in A320. But there is no good A340 on the market, so I will forget about it. I can't wait for NLS A380 also, who knows when it will be finished. I believe it will be the best Airbus simulation so far, on par with FSL A320... and that is again another A320, booooring.

After thinking the whole night yesterday, I finally decided to migrate to Boeing. Huge step for me, but I believe it is right decision because I already purchased NGX long time ago, and QW 757 not so long time ago.

Did a short manual flight ibn QW 757 today from Aerosoft Munich to Aerosoft Friedrichshafen, and except the performance was smoooooth (from 45fps on EDDM to 60fps on EDNY final), the feel in 757 was quite different than in A320, and I liked it a lot! That wasn't first time of course I flew QW 757, but this time it has different meaning, because it was a close encounter flight, testing systems, flight model, etc. Last time I flew with it, it was just for fun landings on EDDM.

First things I noticed is a bit different autopilot panel, and generally AP logic. For an example, Airbuses don't have LNAV/VNAV stuff, so that is the first step I must take, to learn autopilot mumbo jumbo. I captured the Friedrichshafen ILS localizer in NAV mode, LOC activated, aircraft started to react and to line up for an ILS approach, switched to APP mode when glideslope needle started to drop, and  aircraft started to dive at -2000/-3000ft/m! I guess VNAV mode was a problem? I must say that I didn't fiddled with FMC, just imported FS flightplan and took off. In PA A320, it was quite easy to manage AP.

In short, what are main differences between Airbus and Boeing systems, autopilot, etc? IS there something I should know more except VNAV/LNAV?

I'm planning to purchase PMDG MD-11 or 777, but I love a bit older stuff like MD-11, 737, 757, 767, etc. Saw few YouTube videos with MD-11, finals in VC, and whole flights, it seems like a really rewarding plane.

--------------------

I still can't believe that in FSX you have only ONE decent Airbus addon (AXE), and a ton of good Boeing/MD planes. PMDG 737, MD-11, 747, 777, QW 757, and upcoming 737/787, CLS 767, 747, and MD-80 (which is brilliant), Level-D 767, iFly 737, Milviz 737, and even an amazing A2A B377 Stratocruiser. Look at the difference of choice!

So long Airbus!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Why choose?

It doesn't have to be one or the other

Why choose?

It doesn't have to be one or the other

Agreed! Fly all of the planes that you enjoy and have fun in, you don't have to make decisions just because one manufacturer created one airplane but not the other!

I'm simulating a career of a commercial pilot. Does one pilot flies Airbus one day, and Boeing plane another day? No, of course! I could simulate a career of two commercial pilots, but I don't have time to do that, sadly. So I must choose blue or red pill. :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm simulating a career of a commercial pilot. Does one pilot flies Airbus one day, and Boeing plane another day? No, of course! I could simulate a career of two commercial pilots, but I don't have time to do that, sadly. So I must choose blue or red pill. :)

Some do, when they have both type ratings.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Some do, when they have both type ratings.

Seriously? I 've read that in most airlines it is forbiden to pilots to fly both Airbus and Boeing planes due to safety reasons. Also I've read that the pilot can fly max 2 models of planes, for an example Airbus A320/A321. Is that true? Can that pilot fly also A340?

Seriously? I 've read that in most airlines it is forbiden to pilots to fly both Airbus and Boeing planes due to safety reasons. Also I've read that the pilot can fly max 2 models of planes, for an example Airbus A320/A321. Is that true? Can that pilot fly also A340?

It may be an airline policy not to mix the two as the both have very different cockpit philosophy. However, afaik, its completely legal to do so as long as you have the necessary type rating.

I am not sure about the max two type rating, someone else will have to answer that, but a A320 family has a separate type rating from the A330/40 although if one has either, they have only differences training to get the other.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Note that Type Ratings need to be maintained. And there's no 2 for 1 discounts :P

Maintaining ratings requires regular flight time, and passing regular tests.

The longer a type rating lapses by, the more things a pilot needs to get a type rating renewal. 

Here's some relevant info I found on a random google search:

http://www.swiss-aviation-training.com/en/training/type-rating-renewal

Some Fleet Management and/or training captains will hold multiple type ratings, depending on what the Airline requires of them.

It is very common for pilots to fly both the A319/A320/A321 here in the US, at least.  I think some companies have pilots fly both the A330 and A340, as well, though I may be wrong about that.  I'm 100% sure about the first statement, though, as they are practically the same aircraft and I have personal experience with it (my father has flown both).

In addition, I am 100% sure that the B757 and 767 can be flown simultaneously.  My father once flew the 757 and 767 concurrently.  One day, he'd have a 757 trip to the Caribbean and a few days later he'd be off to Rio de Janerio on a 767.  They share a common type rating.

With that being said, I don't understand the logic of choosing.  I fly the Airbus X and the PMDG 737 NGX.  I also have the Wilco E-jets and fly the E170/190 on occasion.  In addition, I'll probably buy the PMDG 777 at some point.  The more the merrier and it's always nice to have something different and keep things fresh.  I'm mostly a "tubeliner" simmer, so it's nice to have different planes to fly.  I think I'm as much into the systems management as the flying (though I hardly ever autoland and prefer to handfly the glideslop as is usually done in real life... I hate when I see Youtube videos with autolands in good conditions  :().

Boeing and Airbus do differ some, but I find it easy to go from one to the other.  Obviously, the flight model is different as you have FBW on the Airbus and you never disconnect the autothrottle, but both are fun to fly.  I would say the Airbus is a little simpler to fly as far as systems go, but I enjoy it still.  It's cool that Aerosoft did a pretty good job getting the FBW model right for the A320/321.  It's not perfect, but it is definitely a big step up for the Wilco buses.  I hear the BBS version is better, but like you I have no interest in delving into unfinished software, so I'm not touching that yet.

Like you, I wish there was more products available for Airbus, especially for the widebodies.  Wilco does have an A330 and A340 available and I do own them, but it's hard to see me going back to them after having the Airbus X Extended, which is a step up, IMO (not that the Wilco buses were bad or anything).

Good talk about Type Ratings, something I wanted to know also. But we missed the point of this thread, and that is the differences between Airbus and Boeing, especially looking at the AP department?

As mentioned above, most Airbus crew will have a type rating that covers the A318 up to the A321.  A short CQQ is required to Fly the A330/340.  In the end you will be rostered to fly what ever aircraft is required.

It is very, very rare having flight crew operating two different types of aircraft within the same airline, 767 one day, A340 the next. If you do see it happening it is normally A Training/Check Captain.

@Pe11e -  Not sure why you think the A/P is so different to Boeing? Of course the philosophy and procedures differ. Airbus is push pull on the FCU but the modes are basically the same as Boeing but different names.

LNAV on Boeing is Managed NAV on Airbus (Push)

HDG Select on Boeing is Selected Mode on Airbus (Pull)

FLCH on Boeing is OPEN CLB/DECENT on Airbus

VNAV on Boeing is Managed Alt on Airbus.

V/S and FPA is also the same on both types. 

Once again, the big difference is the philosophy & the manufacturer's/company's Operating procedures.  All this will be covered in the FCOM & FCTM and of course your training when going for a type rating.

Rob Prest

In a Boeing, you don't have to push the button at TOD, in order to descend.    :P

Otherwise, the PMDG B777 without the servicepack basically is an Airbus, so your situation hasn't improved in the slightest.     :lol:

But Pe11e, your signature still says "back to airbus!"    :smile:

@Pe11e -  Not sure why you think the A/P is so different to Boeing? Of course the philosophy and procedures differ. Airbus is push pull on the FCU but the modes are basically the same as Boeing but different names.

LNAV on Boeing is Managed NAV on Airbus (Push)

HDG Select on Boeing is Selected Mode on Airbus (Pull)

FLCH on Boeing is OPEN CLB/DECENT on Airbus

VNAV on Boeing is Managed Alt on Airbus.

V/S and FPA is also the same on both types. 

Once again, the big difference is the philosophy & the manufacturer's/company's Operating procedures.  All this will be covered in the FCOM & FCTM and of course your training when going for a type rating.

Thanks!

Exactly what I wanted to know! Of course I was thinking about philosophy and operating procedures, they are different. In any case I must start to read QW 757 manual for a start, and do some tutorial flights, right now I'm still not sure what LNAV is, because in QW 757 you have NAV/GPS mode switch button and LNAV also. This sounded a little noobish, I know. :)

But Pe11e, your signature still says "back to airbus!"     :smile:

GULP! Changed!

Thanks for a reminder mate, I woke up with brain in neutral. :)

In a Boeing, you don't have to push the button at TOD, in order to descend.    :P

Otherwise, the PMDG B777 without the servicepack basically is an Airbus, so your situation hasn't improved in the slightest.     :lol:

True  :biggrin:  Except at least the Airbus gives you a Flare mode/Direct law on landing.  

@Pe11e - I am only familiar with the 747-400 & 777.  Perhaps some lvl-D 767 guy's can assist.

My only thought is the NAV button is for VOR radial tracking. Unless they have added a default style mode to keep things simple for some simmers.

Regards

Rob Prest