Sign in to follow this  
alexmfishburn

"Unknown Variant"

Hi All,

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue to no avail.

I try to install a livery made by a friend of mine and get this pop-up:

http://prntscr.com/3bmrk8

I have tried admin rights and re-installing all the NGX stuff.

Anyone know what can be causing this? I know the livery ptp file works as others have used it successfully. It can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuebkgd78guz3ep/westatlanticgjmct736.ptp

Alex

It may be you are attempting to install a livery that is not compatible with the aircraft you selected. I recommend you try making a separate folder where it is easily accessible, assure it has been unzipped, and then select it from that folder. Most commonly, you have not selected the correct FSX directory. Try looking in C:/Program Files(x86)/Microsoft Games. If during the install of FSX you did not rename or move the main FSX folder, it should be there.

It may be you are attempting to install a livery that is not compatible with the aircraft you selected. I recommend you try making a separate folder where it is easily accessible, assure it has been unzipped, and then select it from that folder. Most commonly, you have not selected the correct FSX directory. Try looking in C:/Program Files(x86)/Microsoft Games. If during the install of FSX you did not rename or move the main FSX folder, it should be there.

I know it works, I have the NGX SP1c and the 600/700 SP1c. The livery works, others have used it successfully. D:/FSX is correct, my gaming machine has a separate SSD dedicated to FSX.

I don't mean to be rude but when I said that I have tried all the obvious things, they were the first things I checked :P

If you install fsx in the default directory then you'll get problems anyway, that's why I give it its own drive completely. not to mention the super low loading times with SSD :P

thank-you for your comment anyway though, Its nice that people at least take the time to make the suggestion. Could you try the .ptp and see if you get the same error?

Alex.

I tried installing it and got your same error, but judging from the .ptp's file name it's for the 737-600, which I don't have. You can try sending a support ticket to PMDG, however I don't know if they can help because it's a problem with the livery most likely.

Sorry I couldn't help, your best bet would be turning to PMDG, or tell your friend to revise his work to make sure there aren't any problems... 

i know how you sort this as i have already experienced this

you have to go to livery manager properties and give it system controls so it can overwrite the save data already for pmdg aircraft and then the livery will work

hope this helps

Jack