Sign in to follow this  
vertigho

Tech-related question(s)

Hey all, two-time thread poster here! I'm currently new to the flight-sim world, so I have a lot to learn. I'm trying to figure out what flight simulator to purchase, how to run it on my machine, and what addons I should supplement the aforementioned flight sim with. 

My computer (laptop, rather), is pretty limited, relatively speaking of course. I'm currently using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, and plan on running FSX (or another flight sim of choice) via Windows 7 64 bit, which I will use w/ Bootcamp.

As for the specs on my computer, they go as follows...

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Soooo... obviously, my machine, while not entirely worthless, is on the lower end. From doing some reading, and having played the FSX demo, I think my computer CAN handle it, although not ideally. I did manage to run the trial at max settings and averaged between 15-20 FPS. What I plan to do is buy a SATA III SSD, and connect it externally via a USB 3.0 adapter. From what I've read and researched this should work and allow the game to function based on reports from others who have done the same. Obviously it's not as ideal as running the game with a higher end rig, but it should suffice. 

Where I'm going with this is that I need to figure out what simulator to purchase. I was dead set on FSX, primarily due to the various addons and PMDG's support. However, I was informed about P3D and X Plane 10 earlier today. 

XP10 seems to be the most realistic simulation in terms of how the aircraft moves and handles, however it lacks in terms of addon support. Meanwhile, FSX and P3D are more geared towards providing an immersive experience and are addon friendly. FSX, also, is a finished and done product that will no longer be receiving support from MS. P3D, on the other hand, should be actively receiving updates. Unfortunately, no PMDG aircraft are totally supported by P3D yet, so that may be an issue. 

With the above in mind, I'm leaning towards the latter two over XP10, however I did want to consult with you guys and get your thoughts. 

I'm looking for an immersive, entirely realistic experience, but more importantly, a game that my machine can adequately handle and run. I realize that it ultimately comes down to personal preference, but based on what I described to you guys above, do you have any thoughts and/or recommendations on my situation, and what are your thoughts on what direction I should go in? If there's an alternative that I'm overlooking, please do tell! My tech knowledge, much like my flight-sim knowledge, is somewhat limited. I'm not a total bum, but I'm no genius, either, so any/all feedback is MUCH appreciated!

Again, my apologies for the long-winded question(s)... just trying to figure everything out.

It also depends on what kind of pilot you would like to be... the user base here splits

about 50:50 into airline and general aviation.

If you want to fly "tubeliners", you have yet another option: FS2004, aka FS9.

It is less demanding as far as hardware goes and does a pretty convincing job

with for example the PMDG 737NG, and others..

If you want to fly GA aircraft, you depend more on quality scenery, and FSX offers

more of that - but, and this is a big but, FSX is way more demanding of your hardware

for fluid motion and control.

Bert

It also depends on what kind of pilot you would like to be... the user base here splits

about 50:50 into airline and general aviation.

If you want to fly "tubeliners", you have yet another option: FS2004, aka FS9.

It is less demanding as far as hardware goes and does a pretty convincing job

with for example the PMDG 737NG, and others..

If you want to fly GA aircraft, you depend more on quality scenery, and FSX offers

more of that - but, and this is a big but, FSX is way more demanding of your hardware

for fluid motion and control.

Ah, gotcha! Thanks a bunch. 

I was more interested in flying tubeliners/airliner jets. Had a definite interest in the Boeing T7, but I'm attracted to other jets as well.

So, with that said, perhaps FS9 would be the better option? Anyone else have thoughts?

I also wonder, does FS9 have an active online/vatsim community? After getting familiarized with flying for a number of months, I do plan to begin to fly online a bit. Are there nice 3D cockpits in a lot of the jets you can buy as addons? I recently bought trackir 5 and want to use it!