Sign in to follow this  
ncngrr

Background only on New Win7/64 installation

I just finished a brand new desktop computer build. Followed advice in AVSIM Hardware and Software Guide before installing FSX. Installed FSX with Acceleration on a single monitor, integrated motherboard graphics. Every seemed to go well. Added second monitor. Everything fine. Initiated Download of Saitek X52 Pro driver from Saitek.com. Saw, "please wait... Could take several minutes", (or words to that effect). Left room to make dinner. Came back 30 minutes later. Monitors black. Moving mouse did not rouse monitors back to life. Restarted desktop. Logged in to Windows as normal. Desktop came back up on both monitors, but there are no icons, no Start (lower right corner), no task at, no clock, nothing but background and cursor (which is controllable). Ctrl/Alt/Del does nothing. Right-click on background does nothing. Tried to reload Win7/64 to repair computer (using same OEM System Builder Disk used to install OS), but computer said that that disk didn't have the correct restoral software for the version of Windows on the computer. Right now my computer is just a brightly illumine scent paperweight. Please help!

Thanks.

Scott

integrated motherboard graphics.

Are you really trying to use integrated graphics with FSX ?

I am currently using integrated graphics.  That is not my long-term solution, though.  Eventually, money permitting, I'll add a couple of Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 cards to the computer.  At the moment, however, I'm constrained to using integrated graphics.

I resolved my computer problem.  When I got into a position where I could tryto do a WIndows "Custom" Install, I was thwarted by the Windows installation disk telling me I couldn't install it on Disk 0 Partition 1 because it was configured incorrectly, same for Disk 0 Partition 2.  I tried to Format the disk, but that didn't do anything.  So I "Deleted" the partitions, which caused them to become "Unallocated" and available for me to start the Windows installation process from the beginning.

My computer works again.

Thanks.

Scott