Sign in to follow this  
altstiff

Imagine Sim ZSPD...

Anyone take the plunge yet?

I notice some mixed reviews on SimMarket about it.

It sure looks nice in the SS there and it is a mega hub that is needed in FSX.

Concerned about frame rates (I know IS has this issue with a few airports, mostly at night).....

Owners comments welcome.

The main bug in the scenery, according to a users that is familiar with the airport, is that the coordinates of the airport is off. (The whole airport position got shifted.)

Zicheng Cai

Picked it up recently from SimMarket, very beautiful work indeed. Performance, it's great. I have a quad core 6 year old system running a 1 GB GPU with 6 gigs of ram. I'm lucky to get 15 frames with PMDG T7 (FSX) and a heavy airport and I presumed it would be the same at ZSPD but I was proven wrong quite quickly. Got 25-30 fps (locked with fpslimiter) with ASN throwing some decent weather in the background.

I think it's possibly ImagineSims best work yet. The ground is neat and custom, the 3D modelling is top notch (referencing to their previous work for FSX) and there's enough of the city environment around the airport to keep you busy whether you're flying in or out. Personally, I think the asking price is worth it but there's also a demo available so try it out and judge it for yourself.

Picked it up recently from SimMarket, very beautiful work indeed. Performance, it's great. I have a quad core 6 year old system running a 1 GB GPU with 6 gigs of ram. I'm lucky to get 15 frames with PMDG T7 (FSX) and a heavy airport and I presumed it would be the same at ZSPD but I was proven wrong quite quickly. Got 25-30 fps (locked with fpslimiter) with ASN throwing some decent weather in the background.

I think it's possibly ImagineSims best work yet. The ground is neat and custom, the 3D modelling is top notch (referencing to their previous work for FSX) and there's enough of the city environment around the airport to keep you busy whether you're flying in or out. Personally, I think the asking price is worth it but there's also a demo available so try it out and judge it for yourself.

So they did include the city? I tried the demo but I don't see the high rise buildings around the city.

Danny F

No, we did not include the city, but added the farmland landclass north and south of the airport. 

Anthony Cacciatore

No, we did not include the city, but added the farmland landclass north and south of the airport.

Hi

Is it true that the coordinates of the airport are off? As stated in the second post?

I still get lower FPS (around 3 to 5 less) in my ImagineSim products, compared to some of the other developers.  The airport does look great.  

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hi

Is it true that the coordinates of the airport are off? As stated in the second post?

We did run into an issue with the exact placement. 

The eastern part of the airfield consists of reclaimed sea and is generally new construction. Since FSX predates 2006, a lot of that mesh data is no longer correct for the eastern coast of Shanghai due to the vast amounts of land reclamation. Naturally, we could have and attempted a mesh correction. However, beta testing revealed several errors and conflicts with those who have third party meshes installed (myself included). The reason for conflicts is the ongoing reclamation projects and the general issues with getting sufficient data out of China.This issue is still being considered for another solution. Further, we can revisit better when the popular Orbx/PILOTS releases their forthcoming update. 

At any rate, the ILS systems will still correctly land the aircraft on the runway and there should be no drastic visual discrepencies. 

Anthony Cacciatore

The eastern part of the airfield consists of reclaimed sea and is generally new construction. Since FSX predates 2006, a lot of that mesh data is no longer correct for the eastern coast of Shanghai due to the vast amounts of land reclamation. Naturally, we could have and attempted a mesh correction. However, beta testing revealed several errors and conflicts with those who have third party meshes installed (myself included). The reason for conflicts is the ongoing reclamation projects and the general issues with getting sufficient data out of China.This issue is still being considered for another solution. Further, we can revisit better when the popular Orbx/PILOTS releases their forthcoming update. 

At any rate, the ILS systems will still correctly land the aircraft on the runway and there should be no drastic visual discrepencies.

How does this effect SID/STARS? Is it a dramatic shift?

How does this effect SID/STARS? Is it a dramatic shift?

Very, very minimal if any. You're talking about a difference of approx. 300m that would be corrected at the beginning of a 10nm+ final approach. Even at final speeds of 140kts you would cover this distance in 4.5 seconds so the correction would be largely unnoticed. 

Anthony Cacciatore

Hi Anthony,

Can you release the land reclamation patch as an optional-user-decide patch?

Zicheng Cai

Hi Anthony,

Can you release the land reclamation patch as an optional-user-decide patch?

Hi Zicheng, great question. 

While the ultimate decision is not up to me, it's something I want to look at after the Orbx/PILOTS update 1.2 is released since it may affect the coastline. Orbx products are quite popular and to my knowledge that particular product is one of a small number that are still in active development, so if an addition is made we would like it to compliment third party mesh/landclass/vector.

___

I think it would be better if everyone had an idea as to what that situation looks like. China is known for its public building projects and Shanghai is no exception:

Shanghai Pudong circa 2004-05

One runway and terminal. Some dredging of the east marsh area can be seen in preparation for the new terminal and third runway.

Early%20Shanghai.png

Shanghai circa 2008

Dredging completed, two more runways and terminal built in time for the Olympics. 

Notice how the coastline hasn't changed? This is what FSX default and some third party meshes, etc. have access to as far as data.

Mid%20Shanghai.png

Shanghai circa 2013

Fourth runway area reclaimed and fill material was used to reclaim more land to the east. Suddenly, we have coastline conflict because of third party addons and FSX default data.

Late%20Shanghai.png

As far as the practical implication of the slight offsetting, you're not going to notice it from within the sim. If, say, you were to use FSX2KML to detect your actual position concurrently with Google Earth, you may notice a 300m difference in location. If you're transitioning a SID or STAR, your difference will be less noticeable than what the aircraft would do to correct for a crosswind. In that regard, an aircraft at 150kts would cover the distance in 4.5 seconds while an aircraft at 250kts would be less than 2.5 seconds

If I can answer any other questions such as performance or otherwise, please ask away. 

Anthony Cacciatore

No, we did not include the city, but added the farmland landclass north and south of the airport. 

No problem and thanks for the info. The screenshot in AirdailyX shows the city high rise buildings which I found pretty misleading.

Danny F

I think they may have produced an artistic shot that incidentally mislead. Sorry for the confusion!

Anthony Cacciatore

I think they may have produced an artistic shot that incidentally mislead. Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for all your info in this thread. It looks like a very good product.

If I may ask, what're your future plans?