Sign in to follow this  
FloG

Reason for "Dislike"?

Actually, a similar system is in place now for all members with 1000+ posts under their belt. Note the new option "Troll/Spam". If enough members (I don't know the threshold value!) click on that option, the post in question will be hidden from view.

Yeah I saw that option, and was reading what Tom had to say about it the other day.

I definitely consider that to be the nuclear option, good to have in those rare cases, but maybe it should require launch codes and the simultaneous turning of keys in order to be used  :lol:

=@

Seriously though, I'm glad that this community is nowhere near the point where that option will see much use. We don't seem to get too much spam content here, much less blatant trolling. Thread-crapping (sorry for the crass term, but I didn't choose it !) on the other hand, is much more common, but you'll have that anywhere.

Still nice to have the option.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I think the bigger issue is that some of you don't like having your comments judged without the ability to directly confront those that have voted against something you've said. You want to make a thing out of it, and under the current system, you can't.

'Publicly' confront and make an issue is what they want.  If it was just knowing why a person 'Disliked' their post they could simply PM the individual but apparently that's not good enough... 

You have ten posts in this thread so far, would it not be fair to surmise that you might be the one most worked up about exercising your point of view on the matter under discussion.

Not at all...  I just find the whole matter silly to even take issue with and when you did down deep enough I'm always finding this has more to do with ego than anything else.  I have a bunch of dislikes in this thread, I get it I move on.  Even if I didn't get it, oh well...  I don't want the system to be changed because it's easier to read and see the mood of people.  You can't get that with only 'Like' options (or nothing at all).  This forum now is a better scan read than any other FS site out there.   

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

In the event, the person who made this "dislike" is an individual who is part of a commercial entity, and I once gave some criticism of one of his works.   He is well known to take this really badly and he started PMing me under new, different accounts he'd set up.

The account that he gave his "dislike" from today, was yet another brand new account that he is using to go around following my posts, disliking them, to "exact his revenge"... ha ha   :lol:

So the point is - there are some psychologically challenged people on any forum, and no matter what you do, they may decide to object to you.

Irony.   Falsely accuse someone of setting up fake accounts and using them to abuse the rating system.  In a thread whose subject matter is about abuse of the rating system, I find it impossibly hard to let this gem slip past without pointing it out, given the circumstances, whether the Q is here to respond to it, or not.

People should be able to dislike without a reason.  DO you give a reason for everything you do???  This is an entitlement issue where people think the world owes them something or a reason must be given for whatever a person does. :unsure:​  In most cases it should be obvious for the 'Dislike' of a post in other cases it's rare the button is hit for a otherwise friendly perspective.  Bottom line is people don't owe you anything and be thankful your post had any relevance for someone to comment one way or another.  Let's move on from the 'Nanny' state shall we...  :Cuppa:

No Sir, I do not give reasons for everything I do nor do I espouse entitlement. However I do find on a personal level that when I engage in civil conversation with another and speak of my distaste for their particular point of view, I do tend to profer the reasoning behind my thinking such that they may know my reasoning and it may be further discussed.

I understand your point of view but your apparent assumption that othes are "demanding a reason/fight in here over a simple vote in opposition to your point of view" strikes me as slightly wide of the mark, the original posters post seemed to me a considered suggestion rather than a demand. Maybe I missed the demand elsewhere?

Aside from all the opinions as stated, including my own personal preference, I imagine that the system as it has evolved over the many years of Avsim's existence is more than likely to be maintained in it's current form; this however does not prohibit reasoned conversation on the topic as raised by the original poster. I respect your point of view as expressed and do not wish to engage in fruitless argument on the internet but I do enjoy a conversation where the opinions of all involved are respected.

No Sir, I do not give reasons for everything I do nor do I espouse entitlement. However I do find on a personal level that when I engage in civil conversation with another and speak of my distaste for their particular point of view, I do tend to profer the reasoning behind my thinking such that they may know my reasoning and it may be further discussed.

I understand your point of view but your apparent assumption that othes are "demanding a reason/fight in here over a simple vote in opposition to your point of view" strikes me as slightly wide of the mark, the original posters post seemed to me a considered suggestion rather than a demand. Maybe I missed the demand elsewhere?

Aside from all the opinions as stated, including my own personal preference, I imagine that the system as it has evolved over the many years of Avsim's existence is more than likely to be maintained in it's current form; this however does not prohibit reasoned conversation on the topic as raised by the original poster. I respect your point of view as expressed and do not wish to engage in fruitless argument on the internet but I do enjoy a conversation where the opinions of all involved are respected.

Fair enough but I've been around here long enough to know that engaging in,  "Why did you 'Dislike/Disagree' with my post" discussions leads to un-needed back and forth and all out arguments.  Take it from someone who was an FS9 hold out in the evolving world of FSX backed by developers like PMDG and the new fantastic add-ons they were creating.  A quick 'disagree' and move on is the best way to go.  Anything outside of that turns into a huge fight and threads being locked (not to mention bruised egos and friends lost)...  :Cuppa:  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I definitely consider that to be the nuclear option, good to have in those rare cases, but maybe it should require launch codes and the simultaneous turning of keys in order to be used...

I don't do "bubble head" stuff or concrete bunker machinations. I just launch... :spiteful:

Not sure why the focus on the dislike button. Perhaps we should be noting reasons for why we like, agree, think somethings funny and why we think something is informative.

Come on guys and gals. Relax.

Hirdy

I think positive buttons like "Like", "Agree", "Funny" and "Informative" serve a genuine purpose because the intent is clear and it saves the idiocy of quoting an entire post only to add "+1" in the reply. However if someone disagrees with or dislikes what I've said then I'd really rather know why. Not to question their opinion necessarily but so I know what it was that upset them or why they disagreed. Basically I think contrary opinions should be properly expressed. Clicking disagree or even worse dislike without any explanation is just too casual and dismissive.

Some "dislikers" take it to extremes. In one topic one poster chose to dislike every one of my posts in that thread, even those which were not on one side of the argument or the other. It's hard not to take such behaviour personally. Clearly that guy disagreed with my opinion, fair enough, but to go through and dislike every single post I made in that thread takes things too far. In that same thread the OP had also simply flagged my post with "disagree". This is the thread starter, the person you'd expect to engage most in the subject. I directly engaged with him giving reasons why I disagreed, and he didn't have the courtesy to do likewise. When I asked why he disagreed with me he posted a link to a youtube video. I had given my reasons why I didn't think his point was valid, he couldn't be bothered to give his reasons why he thought my argument was wrong.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I think positive buttons like "Like", "Agree", "Funny" and "Informative" serve a genuine purpose because the intent is clear and it saves the idiocy of quoting an entire post only to add "+1" in the reply. However if someone disagrees with or dislikes what I've said then I'd really rather know why. Not to question their opinion necessarily but so I know what it was that upset them or why they disagreed. Basically I think contrary opinions should be properly expressed. Clicking disagree or even worse dislike without any explanation is just too casual and dismissive.

Some "dislikers" take it to extremes. In one topic one poster chose to dislike every one of my posts in that thread, even those which were not on one side of the argument or the other. It's hard not to take such behaviour personally. Clearly that guy disagreed with my opinion, fair enough, but to go through and dislike every single post I made in that thread takes things too far. In that same thread the OP had also simply flagged my post with "disagree". This is the thread starter, the person you'd expect to engage most in the subject. I directly engaged with him giving reasons why I disagreed, and he didn't have the courtesy to do likewise. When I asked why he disagreed with me he posted a link to a youtube video. I had given my reasons why I didn't think his point was valid, he couldn't be bothered to give his reasons why he thought my argument was wrong.

Complete agree with all your points. Sometimes when someone disagrees with my post (especially when I'm posting facts and not opinions) I ask them why they did so, and they don't even bother giving an explanation.

Your second paragraph is also a very valid problem. I've noticed at least 3 members with very few or no posts at all that continually "dislike" my posts and not just in one thread. It also gets really annoying when I get notifications about members who decided to "dislike" a string of posts that I made months ago. Is there a point?

To partially cure the problem, I think that someone should be able to use the rating system after they've made at least 100 posts.

Dislike always makes me wonder is it the comment or the person that is Disliked,not good for ones ego! especially if your having a bad day  

Since this thread popped up again, I'm not so keen on a 'dislike', but a 'Yawn' would be great. Sort of the opposite to the 'funny' button. We could pull it out every time someone has their usual rant about their same pet hate which is their only contribution to the community, and the incessant 'are we there yet?' posts.

Dislike always makes me wonder is it the comment or the person that is Disliked,not good for ones ego! especially if your having a bad day  

One would hope that a Dislike is just aimed at that particular post and not meant as an attack on the person who made it, but then again sometimes you wonder ...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/443149-alabeo-c177b-released/

Either way you shouldn't let it get to you.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I think people should be allowed to post an OP, and then all replies should be disabled, and only votes can be made.......

(Joke).

My own view (which I don't propose to be worth much) is that the debate on "ratings" versus "comments/explanations" is actually a case of "quantity" versus "quality".

If someone goes against the majority view on something (as an example;   "I don't like A2A addons"..... that's an example: i am NOT saying that by the way, I love them!!), they will be obliterated with negative ratings, and perhaps there will be less discussion on the reasons why they hold that view.   

On the other extreme, there is the 'populist' posters who just seem to agree with everyone, go with the flow and are mostly concerned with being popular and liking the same things as other people.

I've actually fogotten the point of what I was rambling off about now lol!!...... but maybe sometimes quantity is the best tool, and maybe sometimes qualitive (correct word?) responses are better.

different tools in the toolbox?

that's my logical or objective viewpoint.    my emotional / subjective view is that i dont like karma or rating systems at all.        i dont like people getting labelled with a 'record' of their popularity and prefer discussion in place of the ratings.

final anecdote;   i am a dentist from sweden currently living and working in the UK and in our surgery we have 'customer feedback' ratings very similar to on this forum lol!   ..... but the verbatim qualitive feedback is always of more interest.         Not so many people rate 'like' for me drilling a root canal in their mouth!

It seems simple to me, if you dislike something you should have the balls to say why. Clicking a button for dislike is a form of individual judgement on a post. People are usually entitled in the civilized world to know the reasons a judgement went against them. I know I've said I don't espouse entitlement so before some jump down my throat for having a sense of entitlement that I'm not entitled to, that entitlement to know the reasons a judgement went against someone is, I say again, not decided by myself but by wider civil society. Basic civility is something the internet is often not very good at.

It seems simple to me, if you dislike something you should have the balls to say why. Clicking a button for dislike is a form of individual judgement on a post. People are usually entitled in the civilized world to know the reasons a judgement went against them. I know I've said I don't espouse entitlement so before some jump down my throat for having a sense of entitlement that I'm not entitled to, that entitlement to know the reasons a judgement went against someone is, I say again, not decided by myself but by wider civil society. Basic civility is something the internet is often not very good at.

+ 1

brilliantly articulated.    

I think there are cultural differences at play too;  for example maybe Europeans are a bit more liberal and see there being a 'duty' of civilness to explain your objection.    Americans often seem more direct and more libertarian than liberal;  eg... why I should I do this or that?  ........ Maybe a bit more individualistic....... I'm not judging either outlook btw - each has it's advantages and disadvantages.   (plus of course it's a generalism).

I'm from the most egalitarian country on the planet - so we're brought up to heavily consider other's views & feelings, and I do see a sense of duty in explaining if I have a problem with something that was said by someone, rather than just numerically registering my disapproval.    But.... I have used the votes. I guess because theyre there  ........ I can appreciate the other point of view too;  that there is no duty to do this.

#Philosophy101